iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

390xp cracked crank case

Started by vtgreen, March 25, 2014, 02:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vtgreen

Greetings all, a bit of back story here. I found a used 390xp with a 24" bar at a pawn shop in western NY while I was traveling for work. The saw started up and runs well, but there was a pretty good bar oil leak. I looked everything over and thought I'd lowball the guy with $400 (he was asking $550). Well, he thought about it for a min and said yes. I took a chance at that price that there wasn't much horribly wrong.
Today I dropped it off at my local shop to have them give it the once over. They found a crack in the crank case which I suppose makes sense. They called to ask if there was any chance of me returning the saw to where I got it before they tried to repair anything. There being no chance for return, I told them to go ahead and try to jb weld it with the acknowledgement that it was a temporary fix and likely wouldn't work long.
I figure i'll run it till the leak gets bad and then think about a new case. As long as I keep an eye on the oil level I should be fine right?
So, would a new case and the labor (probably ~$400) be worth it for this saw?
I'm no professional logger, but was hoping to use this as a dedicated felling saw for the bigger Sugar maples on my 50 acres as well as some firewood.
Thoughts and advice appreciated, Thanks

celliott

Welcome to the forum vtgreen, you're not terribly far up the road from me.
Do you know where the case is cracked? Probably under the fuel tank where you couldn't see it...
I think that pawnshop guy probably knew what he was selling  >:(
If it's not leaking air into the crankcase (running lean), yeah, probably just run it. Who knows how long the jb weld will last? Could be awhile, could be 2 tanks of gas.
FYI the 385xp uses the same crankcase, and shares about every single part aside from the piston+cylinder, I do believe. Might help if you're looking for a parts saw\parts.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

husky2100

You try tig welding it.  It would be a cheaper fix and it would last longer.

joe_indi

If its only an oil leak, you could try my fix. Its easy and very effective, indefinitely.
Cut a piece of thin synthetic cloth from an old shirt or something. Apply epoxy glue on both sides to soak it.Clean the surface of the area with the crack with soap water to get rid of all oil residues. Apply the patch and allow it to set.
Works all the time.
I even have some saws with cracked crankcases running with this patch.

vtgreen

Thanks for the replies and advice gentlemen.
I will be picking up the saw today and will find out where the crack is.
If their patch doesn't hold I may try your fix joe_indy, depends on where the crack is.
I like the sound of tig welding, but again depends on the location.
Always nice to see fellow Vermonters here celliot, you are just up the road. I knew i was taking a chance at a pawn shop, especially one in NY. I guess I felt like gambling!
Thanks again.

vtgreen

I thought I would add an update. Since my lasts post I've bucked ~5 cord of firewood (the big stuff) and felled 8 large trees with the saw. I haven't seen any sign of additional leaking that would indicate a weld failure. I was thinking I should ask JB Weld for a sticker or something to put on the saw as a sponsorship promotion, but then it would probably fail.
I don't think I will ever go back to doing firewood with a smaller saw, this thing is so fast! The extra length and power are very appreciated when felling, but I limbed with it for about 5min before switching out to the smaller one.
Combined with the tractor winch I just bought should result in a big ole pile of wood on the landing this winter!

celliott

Glad to hear it's working out good!
Yup, using a larger saw for firewood makes it fun and more productive. Don't need one, but,  8) ;D
My 372 and 385 make quick work of firewood. I use the 385 to rip\split large chunks I don't want to lift onto the woodsplitter  :)
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

M_S_S

I use a 385 to fall trees with, buck with it on the larger wood and I have 2 562's I buck with also. Limb with the 562's or a little 450. The 450 is a lot lighter lol. ED
2- 562xp 24"bar
         576xp 28"bar
         385xp 28" and 32" bars
         25 ton Speeco
         6600 Ford
         02 Dodge diesel
         73 Ford 250

BargeMonkey

I had a 385 and 390, ran strong but the 390 was nothing but problems. The saw basically rattled itself apart, every few days it was another bolt or screw, even after torquing them and locktite. When I bought a Timbco I cleaned house and sent 12-14 saws down the ebay road, 385-390 where the first to go.

nhlogga

Check out Chainsawr.com. They probably have a good used crankcase for your saw if you decide to fix it right.
Jonsered 2260
Husky 562xp

Thank You Sponsors!