homemade bandsaw mill, help

Started by gww, April 09, 2015, 05:02:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mazdathumps

Oh man, that's not bad at all. Good job
Thanks, Josh

gww

Josh
If it looks ok, it is because the pictures don't show the flaws.  Over all it is good enough but took over 3 days so far.  It will work but I could do better maby the second time which will never happen after the first time.  Thank you very much for the good words and I hope you are doing well.
gww

mazdathumps

Gww, glad you still doing stuff. I've cut some wood lately, but nothing worth posting.
Thanks, Josh

mazdathumps

So, after cutting quite a bit of wood since last posting, I decided that my small 1" axle and trailer wheels aren't going to cut it (maybe some pun there)... I found some 16" pulley style band wheels on eBay with 1-1/2" mount sleeves that fit 1-1/2" shafts... I picked up a 1-1/2" cold rolled bar shaft at my local welding shop and it all seems to fit snugly... I'm heading out to Las Vegas for a few days, but when I get back, I plan to start the rebuild on the ole sawmill... Hopefully this will be the last time...

Also, just for the fun of it... My YouTube video of my sawmill walk around gets over 10,000 views a month and I have over 500 followers... Not sure how all that happened, but apparently I influenced a few people around the world to build similar to my mill... It's humbling and honestly couldn't have been done without the help from ya'll on here... Thanks, ya'll are a part of those numbers too...
Thanks, Josh

gww

josh
I hope you keep posting your experiances and the changes that you make and your observations of what those changes do for you.  I had heard that smaller radious does make blades break faster but believe that in your case with the bigger shaft that the trade off will be worth it and won't add up to much.  I can't wait till you are done and cutting so you can give a report (if you feel like it).  I guess you are a movie star now.  Keep plugging away and keep sharing.
Cheers
gww

Kwill

Quote from: mazdathumps on January 22, 2018, 08:09:09 PM
So, after cutting quite a bit of wood since last posting, I decided that my small 1" axle and trailer wheels aren't going to cut it (maybe some pun there)... I found some 16" pulley style band wheels on eBay with 1-1/2" mount sleeves that fit 1-1/2" shafts... I picked up a 1-1/2" cold rolled bar shaft at my local welding shop and it all seems to fit snugly... I'm heading out to Las Vegas for a few days, but when I get back, I plan to start the rebuild on the ole sawmill... Hopefully this will be the last time...

Also, just for the fun of it... My YouTube video of my sawmill walk around gets over 10,000 views a month and I have over 500 followers... Not sure how all that happened, but apparently I influenced a few people around the world to build similar to my mill... It's humbling and honestly couldn't have been done without the help from ya'll on here... Thanks, ya'll are a part of those numbers too...
do you have the link to your video? I've proilly watched it not knowing it was you.
Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

gww

Kwill
About 5 pages back and post number 808 there is a vidio of josh's mill.
Cheers
gww

Kwill

Quote from: gww on January 23, 2018, 08:44:33 PM
Kwill
About 5 pages back and post number 808 there is a vidio of josh's mill.
Cheers
gww
thank ya
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

mazdathumps

Thanks GWW, I plan to keep kicking it brother. I'm pretty excited about the future of my mill too, after the upgrades.

https://youtu.be/xbRF-0qxaBY
If it works, there's the video link. If this doesn't work, copy and paste it into a browser
Thanks, Josh

Kwill

Yeah Josh I had actually already watched the walk around video not knowing it was your mill. I like the way you did your track. Nice and simple.
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

mazdathumps

I usually try to be efficient. Simple and easy but most effective.
Thanks, Josh

mazdathumps

Hey guys, i'm still alive over here... Just been busy with the new mill and work stuff and life period, but all is well... Figured i'd share some progress i've been making on the new mill... 

The axles are 1-1/2" now, instead of 1"... The bearings are much closer to the wheel also, which reminds me, i'm using 16" pulleys with a "b" type rubber belt tight in the groove with a little sticking over the top... I have gained about 13 inches width with a [now] cutting width of 32 inches... I also raised my carriage frame to allow my mill to go higher for larger logs... I upgraded the lift/lower system with a rubber coated larger cable to handle the more weight... Most of my bolts have gone up 1.5 times the original size or twice in some cases... and I've tried to not cut corners this time around... So far, i'm happy with it and I think the improvements will be beneficial once i'm done and cutting wood... 

Now for some pictures, cause reading is boring... 

This is the overall mock-up of the mill and very close belt length, cut width, part placements, etc... 

This is the new drive pulley assembled. The 3 groove pulley was a freebie and weighs about 40 pounds. lol I figure if I ever add something that needs a belt, I can just add onto this.

I got all my electrical wires and distribution blocks ran and hooked up.

Blade guide system. This is unfinished in these pictures.  I'm still throwing around some ideas here, so I haven't finished these yet.

Final assembly of the alignment/idle axle system

The alignment system installed - separate  from the tension system, unlike before

Engine mount, I decided to weld 3/16" X 1-1/2" tubing as my engine mounts to eliminate engine movement and vibration

Taller carriage frame to be able to raise saw higher for larger logs
Thanks, Josh

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kwill

Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

mazdathumps

Thanks, guys... I know a lot more now than I did on the first mill... I tried to not make the same mistakes again... I'm pleased so far...
Thanks, Josh

gww

Josh
Man, you did a lot of work.  I can't wait to see you cutting again and to hear your take on the improvement.
Cheers
gww

mazdathumps

Yes, gww, I have basically started over. New design and all. It's all bigger and stronger than before. I'm anxious to cut with it. It can only do better than the first one. Haha
Thanks, Josh

Kwill

Josh on your alignment idler piece when you tighten the all thread it swivels the pillow blocks and shaft? 
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

mazdathumps

Kwill, yes... It's harder to explain than draw, so here's a picture to explain how it "should" work.

The moving plate is 3/8" plate steel. The 5/8" pillow block connections are threaded rod welded to the plate.  That plate is completely removable when the axle and spring is removed.  The all thread that aligns the wheel (I call it that back side of this assembly) is 3/4" ATR with a coupling nut on the end. This assembly weighs about 40 pounds alone. The thin white plate between the moving plate and tension arm/plate is actually a 1/8" cheap cutting board from Walmart.  I bought 3 of them to use in movable areas to keep from having metal on metal binding... It's crazy how a less than $1 piece of plastic helps out.  I hope I explained this well enough.  My goal was to separate the alignment and tension on both axles.  I wanted to release tension and not affect the alignment.
Thanks, Josh

Ljohnsaw

Josh,
That is a really nice setup there.  There will be a lot of stress on that pivot point/axle.  Is that at least a grade 8 bolt?  One other thing to consider is maybe drilling and tapping a hole in the threaded coupler that you welded on to the plate for a brass screw.  You would tighten that screw when the tracking is correct so it doesn't vibrate out of adjustment.  Or if you can fit a jamb nut under the spring...

The only problem I see is the Zerks are on opposite sides ;)
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Kwill

That's a pretty nice setup. Will be following and waiting for another cutting video 8)
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

mazdathumps

Quote from: ljohnsaw on February 26, 2018, 12:01:58 AM
Josh,
That is a really nice setup there.  There will be a lot of stress on that pivot point/axle.  Is that at least a grade 8 bolt?  One other thing to consider is maybe drilling and tapping a hole in the threaded coupler that you welded on to the plate for a brass screw.  You would tighten that screw when the tracking is correct so it doesn't vibrate out of adjustment.  Or if you can fit a jamb nut under the spring...

The only problem I see is the Zerks are on opposite sides ;)
Ok, I honestly am not educated on bearings and how to properly install, etc... On the pillow block bearings, is that wrong or does it not matter which way they face?  I really did wonder about that when putting them on... My thoughts on those, where to spread out the distance that the bearings touched the axles... I have the front one turned with the set screws forward (closest to wheel) and the back one turned backwards to give it the advantage of distance (set screws furthest away from wheel)...
The pivot point/axle is 1" solid steel bar.  The sheer pressure should be confined to about a half inch area of the bar.  I slightly drilled out a depression where the set screws screw in and used lock tite to keep the collars from moving.  Fingers crossed, it holds...
The 3/4" threaded rod and welded on coupler nut is soooo tight.  It cannot be turned by hand and takes a helper bar to turn it with a ratchet... It's a beast to move, but shouldn't have to be adjusted but once.  Once it's set, it will stay...
Thanks, Josh

mazdathumps

Quote from: Kwill on February 26, 2018, 12:06:12 AM
That's a pretty nice setup. Will be following and waiting for another cutting video 8)
Thanks... I'm ready to cut some wood... Logs are piling up
Thanks, Josh

Kwill

So even with the pulleys you have to run them at a slight angle like the tires?
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

mazdathumps

Quote from: Kwill on February 26, 2018, 12:48:51 AM
So even with the pulleys you have to run them at a slight angle like the tires?
I don't think I follow you... or maybe I do
as for the pulleys, I don't have my blades yet to actually tension them down, so not sure how much alignment I will need... They are pretty true right now, but with a bunch of tension, things might move a little, but not near as much as the pneumatic tires... They were a nightmare...
Thanks, Josh

Thank You Sponsors!