iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hand forged hand tools - chisels and slicks, looking for advice.

Started by nebruks, July 05, 2011, 12:31:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nebruks

I and my friend (master blacksmith) made chisels and a slick for my upcoming Timber Framing project. He made the steel parts. I made handles and leather tip guards. In my opinion chisels and the slick came out very high quality. So the idea was born - to make my own Timber Framing hand tool workshop were we could manufacture high quality fully hand made tools.

Maybe there are anyone who can give me some advice or some dealer/manager or craftsmen who are interested to take apart in my new idea or someone who wants to order some kind of hand forged tools.

Chisels are made from high quality carbon steel.

The steel is fully hand forged, we don't use a pneumatic hammer. The facture of the tools looks antique.

Handles are made from ash tree and then linseed oiled.

They come with handmade leather tip guards.

Chisel width: 2" and 1 and 1/2"

Slick width: 3"

Thank you.

Jacob

Woodchuck53

Very nice work, steel and wood. Will you make other pcs. too like a Froe and the axe they used for squaring timbers??? Broad axe maybe. The reason I asked is that I am looking to add to my collection of hand wrought tools. Keep up the fine work. Thanks for sharing. CV
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

WildDog

Nice work, old froes and mortising axes sell very well down here.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Carpenter

Those look very nice.  Welcome to the forum by the way.  Do you have a price in mind? 

nebruks

Quote from: Woodchuck53 on July 05, 2011, 01:39:15 AM
Very nice work, steel and wood. Will you make other pcs. too like a Froe and the axe they used for squaring timbers??? Broad axe maybe. The reason I asked is that I am looking to add to my collection of hand wrought tools. Keep up the fine work. Thanks for sharing. CV

Hello. Yes we can make froe and broadaxe. What kind of a broadaxe you would be interested? More like German style, American or Swedish? I will post later some pics of the axes we have forged. I will try to find some pictures of a German style finishing broadaxe that we have made, too.

If you know precisely what you want - just give me know and we will make the tools and ship them to you.

Jacob

nebruks

Quote from: WildDog on July 05, 2011, 04:03:19 AM
Nice work, old froes and mortising axes sell very well down here.
Thanks for good words. Maybe at your place is someone who would be interested in hi quality fully hand made tools that look like old ones. We can make froes and mortising axes as well.

nebruks

Quote from: Carpenter on July 06, 2011, 08:20:23 PM
     Those look very nice.  Welcome to the forum by the way.  Do you have a price in mind? 

Heido!

The price is that what I am thinking about right know. I have to compare Barr tool prices and the very expensive ones from Cariboo Blades - http://www.caribooblades.com/framingchisels.html. If you want some of these - you can say your price at first.

Jacob

fuzzybear

One word of advice..... put a Blacksmith mark on your tools....adds to the value when your gone.  Those are nice tools. keep up the good work.
fb
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

nebruks

Quote from: fuzzybear on July 07, 2011, 09:54:02 AM
   One word of advice..... put a Blacksmith mark on your tools....adds to the value when your gone.  Those are nice tools. keep up the good work.
fb

Thanks for advice. There is a Blacksmith mark on all the tools that he forges. It is a good tradition that goes trough the centuries.

Thank You Sponsors!