iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Space X

Started by Jeff, April 25, 2013, 06:12:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

The research there is really getting exciting for a space fan.  Here is a link to the latest test flight where the grasshopper rocket goes up, hovers, and then lands.

http://www.spacex.com/press.php?page=20130310
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

OneWithWood

How do they keep that rocket stabilized without fins, thrusters, or both?
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Jeff

I dunno, but its pretty amazing. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ianab

Quote from: OneWithWood on April 25, 2013, 11:20:10 AM
How do they keep that rocket stabilized without fins, thrusters, or both?

Probably by gimbaling the main motor. It will be able to swivel a few degrees in any direction to adjust for any tilt in the rocket. It will be adjusting itself constantly by tiny amounts to keep it's balance, like a seal with a ball on it's nose. You don't see any movement from a distance, but the computer and hydraulics will be working overtime  :D

Fins only work if you are moving fast and add weight and drag. Thrusters add extra weight and need extra fuel. Both undesirable things when you are trying to get something into space.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

beenthere

I read this in the link
Quoteusing closed loop thrust vector and throttle control

Maybe the precision control like used on Mars landings
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

pineywoods

Yup, one or more engines are gimbal mounted, just a big ball joint. Hydraulic cylinders to position the  engine. Big time hydraulic pump, usually driven by a STEAM turbine. Yeah, STEAM. Don't know for sure about this one, but most large rockets pump hydrogen peroxide through a catalyst where it decomposes into steam. That powers a turbine which drives the hydraulic pump and some monster fuel pumps. 
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Sonofman

It is good to see someone using modern technology. NASA has done a lot of things, but they are not adapting new technology very fast into their designs. They tend to do it the same way cause they have always done it that way and to change requires to much red tape. Red tape is best handled by scissors.
Located due west of Due West.

Holmes

That is quite interesting.
Think like a farmer.

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Thank You Sponsors!