iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husky 55

Started by bandmiller2, February 17, 2013, 03:33:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandmiller2

Just curious guys is a Husky 55 considered a homeowner, pro,or something in between saw. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Dave Shepard

I'm not sure of the rating, but the mill where I learned to saw had about a dozen and a half of them. I am pretty sure they were of a typical jug and crankcase setup, not a clamshell throwaway design. Some where newish, and ran great, others had been abused and where not so good. And then there were the ones that were Frankensaws, made up of whatever good parts could be scrounged out of the scrap heap. :D When they were in good shape with a sharp chain, they seemed to be a nice little saw.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Ianab

I'd go for the "Something in between".

The "Pro" Huskys are the -XP range. They are designed to be used all day, every day, and cost accordingly.

Something like the  55 is a good saw, but for more part time use. Like around a mill, farmers, firewood cutters etc. Those might be "professional" users, but only on a part time basis. Used for only a few hours a week, they are going to last for years.

They aren't throwaway junk like some of the cheaper home owner saws.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

DaleK

I'd say in between as well. When they started making them, they weren't considered quite professional grade, but there wasn't nearly the difference between the grades as there is today.
Hud-Son Oscar 330
Wallenstein FX110
Echo chainsaws and a whole bunch of tractors

Charles Barnes Sr

I've owned and used my 55 for over 10 years, mostly for firewood for the house. This past year I used it extensively cutting Hemlock, Fir, Pine, Spruce, and hardwood because of its lite weight. It does not cut as fast as professional class saws but it does the job. I reserve it now for cutting fir. It definitely has been a good saw and tough as nails.
Baptist Pastor trying to make ends meet logging.
76 IH S8 Cable skidder
Husky 55
Husky 372XP

ladylake

Not the best power for 53cc with the open port models, they did make a 50cc version around 1999  to 2000 with closed ports that ran a lot better.  Built good but the carb screws stripped out easy, a longer screw with a nut fixed that.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Thank You Sponsors!