iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Best mill

Started by welderskelter, June 29, 2019, 09:04:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

welderskelter

I built my own mill but I noticed most sawyers on here it seems prefer the wood mizer mill. Cooks is the one I have been patterning after on some things. Not too familiar with WM. Is Woodmizer a better mill. Harold

Magicman

Quote from: welderskelter on June 29, 2019, 09:04:58 AMIs Woodmizer a better mil
Absolutely.  smiley_thumbsup

Of course my answer is based on the fact that I own a Wood-Mizer and have no experience with any other manufacturer's sawmills.  Very few sawyers will change from a brand that they are familiar and comfortable with and go into unfamiliar territory.  Same with trucks.

The best answer is for you to visit sawyers with different sawmills, get a "hands on" feel, and form your own opinion.  I would be more than happy to have a potential sawyer visit as would most all of the other brand owners here on the FF.  Heck, you might even get a Chicken Dinner or a Spam Sammich.  food6
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Oddman

The best mill....who knows? The best mill for me is different than the best mill for another. I think the manufacturers, generally, are all doing their best to make the best mill they can while keeping their business profitable. I think it's a loaded question and not one that's not got an answer that fits across the board. 

chet

My mill is da best one.  ;D  It's payed for itself many times over, owes me nothing, and still runs and cuts flawlessly.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

GAB

MM wrote: "The best answer is for you to visit sawyers with different sawmills, get a "hands on" feel, and form your own opinion."
I would suggest that you off bear for a couple of hours on each that you visit.  This will give you a better feel for the ergonomics of a mill's design.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

nativewolf

Cooks is a fine mill BTW.
Liking Walnut

Pabene

I don't have an orange mill. I have a background as toolmaker (metal shop). When I bought my mill 15 years ago I soon discovered a lot of week points in the mill. Most of it is fixed now. Now I know what just I would like to see in a band saw mill.
I like when a mill has a "big opening", wide between guides, good height from its blade to the top blade cover.
Stop teeth and clamp teeth on each bunk. I prefere electrical motor and a stationary mill, installed on a concret floor.
I want to cut logs, I can accept some minor dimension errors in that step. Then when the boards and cants is dried most all of it is different animals from dimension points. I have not the money to invest in the tools like planers and so. I want to use a so fantastic tool as band saw is to make the next step. A correct adjusted band saw, with a sharp blade, will cut an absolutly stright and flat cut in a dried cant. What you need, to take advantage of that, is better clamp system than I have seen on the mills on the market.

KenMac

Quote from: nativewolf on June 29, 2019, 02:05:34 PM
Cooks is a fine mill BTW.
I have a Cook's AC 36 mill and bought it because it meets my expectations for wide cut (36"), power (67 hp Perkins diesel), and easy to service. It was designed to last a long time and be repaired with off the shelf parts- not proprietary parts for the most part. It is way more capable than I am at this point. I'm very satisfied with it, even though I only have a few hours on the meter.
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

Tom the Sawyer

welderskelter,

That question is like standing next to your burn barrel, while holding a 5 gallon can of gas... 
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

Dana Stanley

Like some have said it depends on how you are going to use it. WM may not be the best slabber, as I believe there are mill that cut wider! My mill is an entry level, or hobby mill, but it was the best for me, as it fit the budget, and does what I need it to do. I would love an LT40 if I had the need, and the money. Cook vs WM is like Caddy vs Lincoln!
Making Sawdust, boards and signs.
Woodland Mills HM-126
Kabota B-7800 with backhoe and loader
Ford Ranger, Husqvarna 455 20", Mac 610 24", other chainsaws 14", 23 ton log splitter
Matthew 3:10

APope

Do you want a ball peen, framing, finishing or auto body hammer? They will all drive a nail at the end of the day though each is better suited for their particular task.

I bought an entry level sawmill in a Frontier OS31. It is allowing me to learn to saw. I can already see that I'll have a hard time quarter sawing large logs or just making some 2X10 in simplest fashion. But I feel the need to learn a skill set and to ensure that sawing is for me without breaking the savings account...
Unafraid to use my chainsaw, JD 2640, Frontier OS31

Percy

The "best " mill has not been built yet.....cause I been too busy.... :D :D :D :D :D :D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Thank You Sponsors!