iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodmizer/ Diesel?

Started by woodhick, February 05, 2006, 05:59:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodhick

I am thinking about buying a new woodmizer lt40 manual mill.  My homemade mill is tied up on a long term job and I have other logs I need to saw.   Don't want to build another one.  I am considering upgrading to the 34 hp cat diesel.  Does anyone here have one and do you think its worth the extra $3200.   Probably don't need the extra hp ??? but I am thinking the diesel would last longer and be cheaper on fuel than gas.  but with todays prices :o  who knows.
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

Minnesota_boy

I'd bet the diesel will last longer than the gas, but just how long are you going to live?  Most gas engines will last a long time if properly maintained, and can be rebuilt once or more times.

The diesel will take less fuel in most cases, but will it make up $3200 in your lifetime with the higher price of diesel now?  I'm a sceptic.  ::)
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

farmerdoug

It also depends if you have access to diesel at home.  If you have to go the gas station then I would go with gas as most of the other engines are probably gas at your place too.

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

customsawyer

I have the WM with the Kabota diesel and one of the things I love about it is the fact that no matter how hard I work that mill it won't burn more than 9 gallons of fuel in a day and some of the days go for 12 hours or more.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Cedarman

Woodhick, I noticed you said manual rather than hydraulic.  What about going gas but with hydraulics if money is the issue?  I would think hydraulics would more than pay for itself, but I don't know your sawing situation.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Bibbyman

Oh yea,  spend the money on HD first. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Kirk_Allen

Defiantly go with the hydraulics first.  I have the 25hp Kohler on my LT40 and like Arkyansawyer told me long ago, it will wear a tailman out so no real need to go bigger.

With that said, I agree but over this past year the size of the logs I have been getting are really making that little motor work.  If you regularly getting 30" logs then I would opt for the bigger motor.  It will save you time in the cut!  The small motor will cut those wide passes but its much slower.

AND, with that being said, what are you cutting?  I have been cutting a boat load of Osage Orange, Hickory, DRY spalted Maple, and White Oak.  As you can see, very hard wood and even green, the extra HP would be nice, but not a necessity. 

ronwood

woodhick,

I would agree with Kirk and Bibbyman on getting the hydraulics before the bigger motor. I hear that the 28hp Kohler works nice.  There are times that the larger motor would be nice as Kirk mentioned but the hydraulics make turning the larger logs much quicker and safer.

The debarker is also a good options. Increases the bd ft. on each blade.

Good luck on whatever you decide.

Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

Brucer

Diesels are great (own 3 of them  ;)), but ...

The 28 HP Fuel Injected gas engine on my manual LT40 easily handles everything I throw at it. The only time it starts to bog down is when the blade gets dull (I'd spend extra coin on a debarker before I'd invest in the diesel) or in very wide cuts. I've found when the engine has trouble in a wide cut, the blade is going to start to wander if I push it any harder. In other words, if you're going to look at more cutting power, you also need to think about wider or thicker blades (I use 1-1/4 x 0.045"),

One other thing to keep in mind -- that diesel weighs 200 pounds more than the Kohler gas engine. The manual "clutch" on the LT40's works by lifting the engine and tightening the drive belt. With the diesel you'll be lifting 2-1/2 times as much weight. So you may want to be thinking about an autoclutch if you go diesel.

I've run the 28 HP engine through most of a year now, and it works beautifully in all types of weather -- hot, freezing, rain, snow, high humidity and low. Starts instantly every time. I'm looking at upgrading to a hydraulic mill, and if I do, I'll go for the 28 HP engine again (and a debarker this time around ;D).

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Percy

Ill be the the guy who sides with Customsawyer. I have a 25 hp Kohler on my edger and a 42hp Kubota on the mill. The Kohler is nice but when Im goin hard with both machines, the edger cost more to run in fuel costs. I know that seems odd and Im no chemist or anything like that but Ive read somewhere that  there is more hormones in a pint of deisel compared to a pint of gasoline. The gas is more volitile but the deisel has the extra poop(I think mebey :D)
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

MartyParsons

Woodhick,  We have a 2005  LT40HDD34 in stock it has 400 hours on it. It is a hydraulic mill and in good condition (New).The customer traded up to a Super RA.  I like the 34 hp diesel it is a three cylinder and does vibrate more than a gas engine model. I am not sure on the fuel consumption per hour on the 34 the 51 hp and the 62 are getting about 1 gal per hour. A little more than the Kubota but the added hp makes up the difference. If you do purchase a 34 hp Diesel make sure you get the Auto Clutch option as the weight is quite more than the air cooled engine. The Cat diesels have a 3000 hours warranty and 6 years.
   The Kohler 28 hp is fuel injected and works great also, we have had no issues with this engine. You need to make the decision on the extra cost.
Marty
If you want to come up and give it a try give us a call in PA
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Chris Burchfield

I just saw the 34 cat on a LT40H at the Little Rock Show this last Saturday. She was cutting cedar, oak and walnut. I never heard her load up beyond what the blade would chew. I've seen people over the years buy small and upgrade to a larger mill. I only wanted to spend money one time and went with the LT40SH. I'm 47 and not getting any younger. I wanted the hydraulics which save major time and the diesel for it's fuel efficiency and length of service. I smoked the belt chewing too fast through a cherry when the blade stopped on a large knot. The engine didn't bog, I kicked the autoclutch/blade out before damage was done. I wanted the Super as I plan to have employees one day. With the 51 HP Cat, I cut for 5 hours Sunday and burned about 3.5 gallons. Hope this helps, Chris.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

Brucer

Quote from: Percy on February 07, 2006, 01:48:32 AM
... I know that seems odd and Im no chemist or anything like that but Ive read somewhere that  there is more hormones in a pint of deisel compared to a pint of gasoline. :D)

Gasoline produces slightly more heat per kg than diesel, but diesel has a higher density. When you work it all out, diesel will give you a little more heat per litre. What really matters is that a diesel engine (with it's high compression) has a higher thermal efficiency. That means more energy at the crankshaft per litre of fuel, and less heat out the exhaust.

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

submarinesailor

According the API standards, #2 diesel fuel has 134,960 BTU per gal.  Anyone know how many BTUs there are per gallon of gas?

Bruce

Captain

Depending on grade, 107,000 to 109,000

Captain

Tom

I found 125,000 in a gallon of gasoline.  What is the significance?

red

the LT 70  is much better on fuel 

thats what you should get   8)
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

submarinesailor

IF, I understand it right, more BTUs equates to more usable power. 

RMay

The LT-40 at the Little Rock show was run 5 1/2 hours at the show and it used 21/2 gallons of diesel :o
RMay in Okolona Arkansas  Sawing since 2001 with a 2012 Wood-Miser LT40HDSD35-RA  with Command Control and Accuset .

jpgreen

Wha?

That's almost 4 gallons an hour.  That can't be right- can it?..  :o :o :o

oops... sorry, I see now it was 2.5 gallons (no space between the 2 and the 1/2) ..  ;D

That's more like it.
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

Thank You Sponsors!