Sponsors:

Need A Little ID help after a Short Walk

Started by Radar67, March 12, 2009, 10:51:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

cherry was too easy. Radar is suppose to know better. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Radar67

What you mean SD? Know better than to give you such a simple example, or I should have known it was cherry, since I have already identified cherry on my place before? If it is the later, I plead it is a young plant without flower stalks and I am still new enough to plant ID to miss it.  ;) :D :D :D
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

SwampDonkey

Welcome to the room of the simple minded. Ok, maybe not simple minded. But, bad acting characters at least. ;D

Anyhow, I gotta pick on someone this morning. Tag, your it.  Yeah, it's quarter to one in the morning. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Radar67

Well, WDH confirmed the plant as Cherry. Although it was fairly easy to recognize this week since it had sprouted the racine flower stalks that scream "CHERRY".

With that out of the way, we had a great supper and browsed each other's wood lots through our conversation.  :) 8)

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

Don K

At least I was right about the cherry.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

WDH

Yes, a nice supper and a chance to discuss the world of wood. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Radar67

I have a couple of other plants to id. I'll include my choice to see if it is even close.

Plant 1 possible a water hickory

Plant 2 I'm thinking young persimmon (the bark is very similar to a recent ID)

This last one is not a plant, but it could be supper. I found this in my creek.

WDH

I bet the hickory is mockernut.  You can see the tomentose rachis (hairy leaf petiole) in the photos. 

You are right about the persimmon.  The last two are dogwood.

That is a good sized mudbug!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Radar67

Danny, the last two leaf pictures came off the tree with the "persimmon" bark. If you look close in the bark picture, you can see a couple of the leaves sprouting from the trunk.

This is the second time I've seen one that size in the creek. I'll be setting a trap when the water goes down a little. ;)

SwampDonkey

The little creeks here were always full of them crayfish. Even creeks that dry up in summer, they hide under rocks.

SwampDonkey

Your last bark and leaves suggests flowering dogwood.

WDH

You are right.  Large dogwood and persimmon bark is similar, but persimmon bark is usually much blacker.  I did not notice the sprouts  :)

Chico

First one we calla pignut hickorysecond looks like dogwood and the third is definately a mudbug  ;D
Chico
My Daughter My sailor MY HERO God Bless all the men and Women fighting for us today If you see one stop and thank them

WDH

#1 is definitely not pignut because pignut is smooth, not hairy. 

Dodgy Loner

Second one is defintely flowering dogwood, and I agree that the first is most likely a mockernut hickory...the leaf shape and the number of leaflets suggests bitternut hickory (which I thought it was at first), but the abundant bud scales identifies this as a 'true hickory'.  The true hickories have imbricate buds, meaning that the buds have many overlapping scales.  The 'pecan hickories', which includes pecan (of course), bitternut hickory, and water hickory, have naked buds (no scales), so you will not see those bud scales at the base of the new growth after bud break with these species.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Lanier_Lurker

If you look carefully at the second hickory leaf picture you will see a leaf that has 9 leaflets.  That is another strong indicator that it is a mockernut.

Lanier_Lurker

Quote from: Lanier_Lurker on March 30, 2009, 11:35:05 AM
If you look carefully at the second hickory leaf picture you will see a leaf that has 9 leaflets.  That is another strong indicator that it is a mockernut.

Um, yes...but that does not rule out bitternut...

::)

WDH

Like Dodgy says, those imbricate bud scales (versus valvate) tell the tale on that hickory  :).

Radar67

Thanks guys. Now I have a couple more reference samples to match some of my other trees to.  ;) I sure need to get some of those aluminum tags...I may have to bite my lip and drive to Jackson to the foresrty supply. :(

SwampDonkey

Just don't give him a butternut bud. I don't know about hickory so much, but on butternut terminal buds, the outermost pair of scales are feather-like in appearance. :D

WDH

Words of wisdom from the "Butternut Whisperer"  ;D.

Thank You Sponsors!