iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bought an interesting old knife today

Started by coalsmok, October 23, 2018, 06:12:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coalsmok

I stopped today at a roadside sale/flea market and found this old folder in a box of knives. 

It does not appear to be of modern manufacture. Other than the bolsters and horn handles it is all steel. The blade and the awl both lock into the squared hole in the backspring. You can see that an end cap for the handle has went missing somewhere along the line in its past. 

Chuck White

Sorta looks like it could be an "old" Barlo!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

samandothers

Interesting old knife!  Has knife collecting as a hobby declined in the last 20 30 years?

coalsmok

No idea if collecting as fallen off. I bought I just because I have never seen a lock back folder like it. It wasn't until I got it in the truck and had time to examine it I realized it was older than I thought at first.

samandothers

It is interesting.  How is the lock disengaged?  Is there a rocker on the back spring?

coalsmok

It doesn't have a rocker, you can sort of pry it up with your thumbnail. I find it easier to open the other blade halfway to release it.

lxskllr

I like the long awl. I'd find that very useful. Gonna clean it up and make it a worker?

coalsmok

I probably won't make it a worker. I sweat so much a newer high carbon blade knife will rust shut in my pocket. This knife would probably turn to dust in a weeks time in my pocket during the heat of summer. The thought has crossed my mind to one day make a single blade with the same lock pattern.

Thank You Sponsors!