iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is this ambrosia?

Started by Bigc1989, February 22, 2017, 07:24:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigc1989

This is a soft maple log, would this be considered ambrosia maple or what is it?  ??? Theres not a ton of it in the log but it was also in the last maple log i sawed. Thanks for the help!

RPowers

If there is a little black hole or two in those streaks, then yes they are caused by the ambrosia beetle working through the tree. I've seen it in Elm and Honey Locust as well, very pretty.
2013 Woodmizer LT28G25 (sold 2016)
2015 Woodmizer LT50HDD47

xlogger

Looks like Ambrosia to me but just not very much.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

Bigc1989

Ok thanks. So how does it work? It wasnt very deep into the first log.. i got 5 more logs from this same tree if i let a few sit would i end up with more of it or does the tree have to be standing? It was in the 3rd log from the bottom and this is the 2nd log from the bottom. Both had about the same amount atleast so far.

WDH

The tree has to be alive and standing.  Leaving the log lay will not help, it will only cause the log to gray stain.  What you have is called an ambrosia streak, but I would not call that ambrosia maple with so few streaks. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Bigc1989

Thanks for the good information  :P

Don P

The easy id is the black holes. The adult female tunnels under the bark, lays her eggs and plants the spores of a fungus the tree grows and that the larvae eat. That's the black ambrosia fungus you see in the holes, they are farming it. She is usually looking for a stressed tree. When the tree dies the mold and beetles do too. I usually see 2 or 3 holes together with this beetle as well.

xlogger

Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

coxy

is that the same thing as wormy soft maple

WDH

Yes.  Sold in the trade as WHND.  Worm holes no defect.

thechknhwk

What's the WHND stand for?

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

thechknhwk

I see now that he said that, lol.

sandsawmill14

i love the stuff  this is about 500 bdft air drying

countertop i built out of it

kitchen table and benches
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Bigc1989

Id like to get my hands on some of that  :o

Thank You Sponsors!