iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The writing on the bar

Started by logmason, January 06, 2019, 09:47:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

logmason

Trying to learn more about this husq 51 and 55 to help me select chain. Local shop stopped carrying the brand I liked.

I know what some of it means but not all.

Bar says

sna 18/45 058-1.5 506
325 72 dl made in Norway

mike_belben

18" bar
.325 pitch
72 drive links
.058 gauge

The rest dont matter
Praise The Lord

Air Lad

Quote from: logmason on January 06, 2019, 09:47:21 AM
Trying to learn more about this husq 51 and 55 to help me select chain. Local shop stopped carrying the brand I liked.

I know what some of it means but not all.

Bar says

sna 18/45 058-1.5 506
325 72 dl made in Norway
A handy site to compare different brands codes for chains
Sorry no link
Just Google   Frawleys Saw Shop
Cheers

Old Greenhorn

The Oregon chain selector page is somewhat useful also. The .325 is the pitch between links, the gauge is the width of the chain that lays in the bar groove, number of drive links is pretty standard for each given bar length. You MUST have the same pitch to match both the bar tip AND the drive sprocket, the gauge Must match the bar groove. Once you have that, you can select the tooth form you want and there are a lot of options. We all have our preference. Mine is full chisel, square ground, no skip. Your mileage will most certainly vary. :)
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

logmason

You guys are helpful, thanks.
Here is another on a Stihl 034

oregon 183sl gd025
.063/1.6 325 74
516865 sp

I'm guessing this means,
063 gauge and the mm conversion is 1.6
.325 pitch
74 drivers

My question.
Can I buy one spool of chain that will run on both these I have listed? Probably not.

Do shops carry all these different gauges, or were they selling me chains that "fit"?

thecfarm

Any shop shop should be able to get what you want. If not,try another shop. ;)  I like Stihl chains. I went to one,he did not have it in stock,but ordered it for me.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Mad Professor

You won't get loops to fit both saws as they have different # of drive links and are different gauge/bar groove width. 

As mentioned a good shop should be able to order or make you loops.  If nothing nearby can be found online.

You also need to consider what type of cutting teeth you want, and if you want "safety chain" .  Safety chain is generally for inexperienced users and the cutting teeth depend on what you will be cutting

Regardless avoid cheap/low quality chains.

Keep asking questions someone here will help you out.........

logmason

I figured that was the answer, but know there is way more experience on here than I have. Thanks. The thought of feeding three saws with one spool was appealing. I'll buy some more loops for now.

Carlton chisel was my favorite, guy I bought it from said no more. I'll go back to Oregon. I like it because I can file it easier than harder chain.

Thank You Sponsors!