iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Milling red spruce

Started by hersnsh#590, May 22, 2018, 09:09:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hersnsh#590

I'm pretty much a rookie hobby sawyer.  I have some red spruce on our property that is past mature, and I mill it when it uproots or snaps off above the stump.  Two instances today I found interesting.

I've experienced stress in the spruce before, but today I had the blade dive 1-1/4" in one foot of travel.  The band popped of the wheels with quite a clang.  I cut the log with a chainsaw just in front of the band, and with some effort got the band out of the resulting chunk.  I remounted the same band, and continued the cut for the rest of the log with no problems.  All I could think of was the stress was very localized in the log, and I got most of the way thru it before the aforementioned incident.

I've always struggled to mill  consistent red spruce lumber.  I've only used 8* blades, but have wanted to try some 4* after some of the FF comments on the 4*. 

At the NE Logger Expo recently Ross and Maureen Clair  (Wood Mizer / Maine)  arrange for me to receive two complimentary 4* WM blades.  I used the first today, and what a difference.  I milled the best spruce I have ever produced.  So first of all,  thanks to Ross and Maureen, and secondly,  if anybody is having problems with knotty spruce I'd recommend trying WM 4* blades.

While I'm rambling, thanks to Pete Drouin and Bruno for the event last weekend at Pete's.

Dale
TK 1600, small sugaring operation, a bench full of J'reds, a tired ford 1710, new to us JD 5065e, 2 Honda 4 whlrs, a Can-Am 580 on tracks, and a very understanding wife.

Bruno of NH

Dale
I'm glad the 4° bands worked well for you in the spruce.
It's my go to band in spruce and knotty pine.
It was great meeting you at the Project
Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Thank You Sponsors!