iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

canoe need help...

Started by Mr Mom, January 21, 2007, 05:03:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Mom

My grandpa gave me a canoe that is cedar stripped and the fiber glass needs redone i have never done this before so i need help on how to do this.
     The canoe was made by a guy that made racing canoes his name is Mr Jenson. That is all i know of him. He made them all by hand.
     I do have the fiber glass but dont have the stuff(reasin) that makes it hard and seal it.
     I know that there is some boat people on here that can lead me in the right way.
     Someone might know of a place near me that redoes fiberglass. I would rather pay someone to do it but i could do it myself.

Thanks Alot Mr Mom

isawlogs

Send a PM to sprucebunny ,she knows a lot about boats and repairing with fiberglass.  :P

One of her many hobby's .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Minnesota_boy

Three resins that I know of that could have been used when the canoe was made are polyester, epoxy, and vinyl ester.  All come as a resin and hardener that are mixed in proper proportions, then applied to the canoe.  The glass fiber is stretched over this and more resin added to saturate the cloth.

If the canoe still has the cloth and just needs some patching, then resin and a bit of cloth where it might be worn will be all you need.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Mr Mom

Well found out that grandpa bought the canoe in 1977.
     It is as old as my wife :D :D.
     I think that it was made a Eugene Jenson not sure but that is all i could find as of right now.
     isawlogs     Thanks alot i will PM her right now.
     Minnesota_boy     Do you know witch is the best to use??
     I would like to get this done so i can take grandma for a ride in it.

Thanks Alot Mr Mom.

scgargoyle

If it was made in 1977 (or older) it is most likely polyester resin, or even real canvas. If it's starting to peel, you might as well peel it all off and start over. Hopefully, the wood underneath is sound. Epoxy is the best way to go w/ the new fiberglas job. There are a number of suppliers (WEST comes to mind) that make epoxies specifically for your purpose. I imagine you'll probably have to sand off all of the old resin first, but check w/ the manufacturer of whatever you buy to redo it. BTW- many of these chemicals are toxic, both to sand and to apply. Many people seem to develop sort of an allergy to epoxy if using it unprotected. Use the appropriate protection!
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

tdelorme

Give these folks a call. He knows his stuff and will help you get what you need.  Good prices too. 
Fiberglass

Mr Mom

scgargoyle...I think that my grandpa redid the fiberglass once before. I would like to sand all the old fiberglass off and start over.
     My grandpa bought the canoe new.

tdelorme...thanks alot for the site will call tommrow.

Thanks Alot Mr Mom

Bill

Mr Mom

West equals West Marine products. They have a product(s) called the West system which many consider as straight forward as any on the market.

They also have alot of helpful literature about the different types of resin so you can pick the right one for what you want to do.

Also most of their salespeople are pretty knowledgeable if you get one in person ( or on the phone ) to help you decide.

Good Luck  . . .

Don P

I worked in a canoe shop about that time. If I remember right, you have yourself one fine boat  ;)

Michigan Mike

Go to www.clcboats.com drop down to the bottom of the page and enter the boat building forum. There are a ton of knowledgeable people there that will be able to tell you exactly what to do. Although this is a company sponserd forum they are very open and friendly and do not require that you use their products or build one of their boat kits. If I were you I would not be afraid of redoing or repairing that canoe. the fiberglass work is not too difficult  and you will learn a new skill.

Mr Mom

Bill... thanks alot for the info i will call and see about there product.
     DonP... grandma found the canclled check and said that it was the only proff that it is a jensen. Grandpa was very proud of it. I read that Mr jensen started to build canoes production wise in 1977 maybe have a early product.
     Michigan Mike...will look at site later today. not afraid to anthing once just dont like doing things four or five before i get them right get costly.

Thanks Alot Mr Mom

Thank You Sponsors!