iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawmill is running again

Started by thecfarm, March 14, 2012, 10:59:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

Have not had much going on to really start the mill,or I should say too much going on. Have not even started it for 3-4 years. It has a 20hp Honda on it. Had to have a battery,than a fuel line from the tank to the filter. A mice nest had to be blown out from on top of the motor. I won't tell you I tipped over my air compressor and broke that. Had to put another adapter for the gas line into the can. Rubber seal were all brittle.Than a gas line from the filter to the pump,I guess the mice needed more room. Finally got all that done after 2-3 hours and ready to start. Cranked some and sprayed some starting fluid into it and off it went,wide open. The butterfly was stuck. Took a few drops of oil and worked it back and forth and got it working the right way. Tried it again and set there and idled just like I had it going yesterday. It seemed good to hear the blade go round and round. Than I noticed a gas leak. Take it apart again,3rd time I think. There is a pump on the front of the motor. Every time it would pump, gas would come out of a hole in the front. Will try to get a pump today or order one.. I hope that will do it. I was surprised I did not need a carb rebuilt. Only ran it about 10 minutes too. I'll see what happens after a few hours. I have to replace the throttle linkage too,which I have hanging up in the garage.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

zopi

One thing I have started doing with small carburetors, if they are giving me any grief at all...take them off the engine amd pull the bowl...then the whole mess goes into a cheap ultrasonic cleaner I picked up....a little solvent in it, and it cleans em right up.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

bugdust

You know what they say, "Can't keep a good man down." Might add, in this case add a "good mil" too.  smiley_applause
Since I retired I really like work: It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

bandmiller2

Engines like people are best not left idle too long.Theirs probibly a pin hole in the diaphram on that fuel pump.I'd dump some chainsaw fuel in the tank to lube up things. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

JohnM

Quote from: thecfarm on March 14, 2012, 10:59:27 AM
Have not had much going on to really start the mill,or I should say too much going on. Have not even started it for 3-4 years. It has a 20hp Honda on it. Had to have a battery,than a fuel line from the tank to the filter. A mice nest had to be blown out from on top of the motor. I won't tell you I tipped over my air compressor and broke that. Had to put another adapter for the gas line into the can. Rubber seal were all brittle.Than a gas line from the filter to the pump,I guess the mice needed more room. Finally got all that done after 2-3 hours and ready to start. Cranked some and sprayed some starting fluid into it and off it went,wide open. The butterfly was stuck. Took a few drops of oil and worked it back and forth and got it working the right way. Tried it again and set there and idled just like I had it going yesterday. It seemed good to hear the blade go round and round. Than I noticed a gas leak. Take it apart again,3rd time I think. There is a pump on the front of the motor. Every time it would pump, gas would come out of a hole in the front. Will try to get a pump today or order one.. I hope that will do it. I was surprised I did not need a carb rebuilt. Only ran it about 10 minutes too. I'll see what happens after a few hours. I have to replace the throttle linkage too,which I have hanging up in the garage.

Quit-cha braggin!

(couldn't help myself cfarm ;D :D :D)

Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

WDH

I want to see some sawdust fly.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

So do I!!! I have the pump. Ran around yesterday trying to find someone to sharpen blades. The place that I went to before closed.Chased down a few leads from other people that did not work out. I went to where I bought the mill from,but it's 1½ hours from here one way. Was a wet,cold day here. Rained just about enough to keep it wet.Did not get back home until just about 5 and than it was snowing. Today I will put the pump on.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Al_Smith

I just recently like last week end did some work on one of my 18HP lawn mower engines .

It was the same deal the impulse activated diaphragm fuel pump was stiff as well as the innards of the carb bowl was full of gunk from obviously the reaction of the ethanol in the gasoline with the aluminim in the carb .Fact I've had problems on engines less than 5 years old ,same,same .

This is a problem on newer engines meaning the last 25-30 years .Prior of course used cast iron for the carbs and not much can deteriate them .

So I'm thinking it might not be a bad idea to run them dry or use some Stabil or Marvel mystery oil if they are going to sit for a spell .Probabley work out to one of those "thought of but never did " deals .

bandmiller2

Today a fella is wise to run dry or drain the carbs of all equipment not used constantly.Add stabil[marine] to all small engine fuel and a little 2 cyc. mix oil.My tractors all have a drain cock under the carb. ifen your cheap drain into a can and dump back in the tank. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

thecfarm

I could put a shut off in the line. I doubt the Honda has a drain, but have not looked either. Good advice. Lucky I did not have to spend more than what I have,so far.

MotorSeven

If you use Marine Stabil your probably ok running it dry. Only use the Marine stuff, the regular red Stabil does not kill ethanol.  Ethanol turns corrosive when oxygen gets to it, so running them dry can actually make it worse depending on what additive you have.
Now when even I fill up my 5 gallon portable cans I just add Marine Stabil right then so I don't forget. Treated fuel goes into all my stuff now from generator to swamill.
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

thecfarm

Pump is on, the sawdust was flying. Took a while to get into the grove and remember what I forgot. Just sawed about 3 white pine logs,10 footers. Had to get the blade lube going. One shut off was broke and the line was hard as a rock. It felt good to saw again. The smell was great too.

WDH

8) 8) 8)

If you work real hard and get real hungry............well, I am not even going to say it.  But, you know what I was thinking  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

zopi

lol..most hondas have a drain screw in the float bowl..I concur with the marine stabil thing though..can save alot of aggravation.

Like I said before..if an engine even looks at e funny the carb comes off and goes for a ride in the ultrasonic hot tub..

I >LOVE< white tank honda engines. Briggs...eh..maybe...tecumseh..keep it. junk. Kawi, and Subaru...great engines...Kohler..they have their moments.
Onan=replaced
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

thecfarm

macpower

That's what all that noise was! I thought I could hear some cussin' from up your way......I think you had a name for those mice...
Purveyor of Stihl chain saws.
Thomas 6013 Band Mill, Kubota L3400DT, Fransgard V3004, 2 lazy horses and a red heeler

Mooseherder

WDH

An automated, operator-less, manual mill   ;D.  You were probably inside having an bowl of grits while the mill was on auto-pilot  :D.

thecfarm

WDH,if you don't be quiet everyone will know my secrets.  :D

fishpharmer

Looks like a Currier & Ives winter scene. 

White pine saw dust sure resembles grits, sawmill or grits factory? :D
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

macpower

Quote from: WDH on March 16, 2012, 10:46:54 PM
An automated, operator-less, manual mill   ;D.  You were probably inside having an bowl of grits while the mill was on auto-pilot  :D.

Naw, he just sets up on a hill. Mill cuts on its own goin' down slope and he only has to push it back up after the cut.
Purveyor of Stihl chain saws.
Thomas 6013 Band Mill, Kubota L3400DT, Fransgard V3004, 2 lazy horses and a red heeler

Thank You Sponsors!