iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

066 starting problems

Started by J Beyer, July 03, 2002, 09:38:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J Beyer

I bought a used 066 a couple of months ago  ;D  I love the power ;D  I finally got to use it a few weeks ago.  Sometimes I have a dickens of a time getting it going.  This is an older saw without decompression and sometimes it seems like I cannot pull it over fast enough?  I'm not a wuss when it comes to strength (I can lift around 100# block of wood) :o

I have yet to check the obvious like the sparkplug.  I did have the mixture screws check by an authorized Stihl service center.  Sometimes it idles down to low, so I may have to turn that up as well.

JB
"From my cold, dead, hands you dirty Liberals"

Kevin

If you have a spark and fuel getting to the plug it should start.
Be sure the plug is grounded well when checking for a spark, you don`t want to damage the electronic ignition.
You can pull the air filter off and see if it starts better but make sure the area around the carb is clean and don`t run it or cut wood with the air cleaner off.
A new plug is a cheap investment.

J Beyer

I remember something a motorcycle/ATV mechanic told me once about sparkplugs.  A sparkplug can spark fine when out of the cylinder, but they can sometimes fail when put under compression in the cylinder.  Is this true?

JB

Kevin

I had a plug in a generator that would spark but wouldn`t fire.
The spark appered to jump across the plug and go to ground.
A new plug fixed the problem.

Bro. Noble

Jeff,

I used to have the same problem with an O66.  If it fired the first crank with the choke on, I could unchoke it and usually start the second crank.  Most of the time it didn't fire the first crank and would end up flooding (whether I unchoked it or not.)  I would either take the plug out and dry it or go to the truck and get the O44.

We always use the recommended way of holding the saw when starting-----holding the handle with your crotch(it took a lot of convincing to get me to believe this was safe much less safer!) and ours has a decompression valve.  For some reason I tried drop starting it once,  started right up.  Now it 's as easy starting as you could wish.  I just couldn't (or wouldn't) yank that thing hard enough with the handle in my crotch.

I'm still not sure the other way is safer.

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

J Beyer

Here's something that may be of help.  When starting I've had to crack the throttle open a little, even when warm.  I'll check the plug out Friday and get back to you guys.

Kevin

When I start my 066 cold using the choke the throttle is on full.

woodmills1

my 066 is new, and I do think it is a bit tempermental about flooding, but it is still set to run a little rich due to breakin.  I drop start and found that the instant it kicks with choke on it wants to have the choke off, but still be on high idle.  One heck of a wood cutter the 066 is
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Tillaway

QuoteThis is an older saw without decompression and sometimes it seems like I cannot pull it over fast enough?
Yes... The ones with digital ignitions need 500 rpm to fire.  Without conpression release it can be tough.
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

keef661

same thing with the 066,found that it coughs 1st pull with choke on,got manual today supposed to put on 1/2 choke will try tomorrow
at present put on run&full throtle it starts with 2 ,3 pulls ,cold or hot superb saw
keef 8) 8) 8)
Keef

Thank You Sponsors!