iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chain Problem...

Started by Typhoon, September 02, 2003, 09:28:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Typhoon

Ok this is strange. I love my new Husky 350. Couldnt be a better saw. But just for kicks, I decided to try a chain with a little more bite. Well, from what I gathered, the Oregon 33LG Superguard would fit my saw. My saw is the Husky350 with an 18" bar. Well, I put the new chain on. Start up the saw, and begin to cut. Almost immediately, the chain binds. But it wasnt the log that did it. It was the chain. It tightened itself so tight that it wouldnt turn on the bar. So, I loosen the nuts and adjust the chain again. Thought maybe it was a freak slip of the bar or something. Tried again except this time, I didnt cut anything. I just revved up the saw and let the chain turn in the air. All of a sudden.. it binded again. So tight that I couldnt turn it around the bar with my hand. Same drill. Loosened it and tried it one more time. Same thing. Tightened so tight that it wouldnt move. Well, instead of trying to figure it out, I had a lot of work to do so I just put the husky chain back on and it cut great all day!! So, that MUST not be the right chain for this saw, thats all I can think of. From the numbers, I thought it was right, but there are so many numbers associated with the chain that I guess I got something wrong. Anyways, now I have a 20.00 chisel chain that I can't use.  :-[
Oh well! Just thought I would share this with you all.
-Brad
Brad Dawson, Anna IL (Southern tip)
Husky 346xpNE, Husky 357XP, Norwood Lumbermate2000

Kevin

Brad;
That chain should work on your saw if the pitch matches the bar sprocket and drive sprocket on the power head.
That's a .325 pitch chain. .050 gauge.
Is there a 33 stamped on the driver of the chain?

Neil_B

Not sure about the 350 but my 365 w/18" bar takes a 3/8 pitch. More than likely the wrong pitch on your's, Typhoon.
Timberwolf / TimberPro sawmill, Woodmizer edger, both with Kubota diesels. '92 Massey Ferguson 50H backhoe, '92 Ford F450 with 14' dump/ flatbed and of course an '88 GMC 3500 pickup.

Thank You Sponsors!