iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Norman Borlaug

Started by Norm, September 16, 2009, 10:04:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

I read a great article in the WSJ about the passing of a great Iowa native son.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203917304574411382676924044.html

Makes me proud to have known men such as him.

Stan snider

I noticed no reply posts? If you aren't familiar with Norman Borlaug you would be inspired by his bio. There are some people who have been "Gods gift to mankind" and he probably fills the bill as well as anyone I can think of. I would have preferred to have made his acquaintance than any political figure alive in my lifetime. Stan

sprucebunny

It's amazing that one man could make that huge a difference in the world and recieve no recognition ???

From the article:"Environmentalist criticism of Borlaug and his work was puzzling on two fronts. First, absent high-yield agriculture, the world would by now be deforested. The 1950 global grain output of 692 million tons and the 2006 output of 2.3 billion tons came from about the same number of acres three times as much food using little additional land."
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Jeff

Quote from: sprucebunny on September 17, 2009, 09:40:57 AM
It's amazing that one man could make that huge a difference in the world and recieve no recognition ???

I agree. I had never heard of Mr. Borlaug. Thanks for a needed education Norm. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Norm

I kind of figured it would not get much response because he is not well known outside of the agricultural community.  :)

That being said I have heard him speak many times on our local radio station that has a sector devoted to farming. He always came across as the kind of guy you'd like to shot the bull with over a couple of beers....that and who can't like a guy with a first name like that!  ;D

Sprucegum

I too mourn his passing  :(

I see the Wall Street Journal got it wrong again  >:(  Mr. Borlaug always, at every oportunity, insisted that he had not defused the "population bomb". He had only delayed the timing and the bomb is still ticking.

TeaW

Great story Norm thanks for posting.
TeaW
TeaW

Warbird

Thank you for posting this.

DouginUtah

Understanding the significance of Norman Borlaug's contributions to US agri-business:

Iraqi Order 81:

http://www.thepowerhour.com/news/iraqi_order81.htm
==

"Control oil, you control nations; control food and you control the people." -Henry Kissinger

http://inpursuitofhappiness.wordpress.com/2008/09/10/gm-foodcontrol-food-you-have-slaves/

A question for corn growers: Do you have any heirloom corn seed?
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

Thank You Sponsors!