iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood ID

Started by Don P, October 14, 2002, 09:16:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don P

Haven't been out of the house in awhile :D
Figured I'd post a different kind of question.

Texas Ranger

left, pine, right, fir.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Don P

partial credit
          ;D

Tom

Left pine and right something else. :-/

RMay

RMay in Okolona Arkansas  Sawing since 2001 with a 2012 Wood-Miser LT40HDSD35-RA  with Command Control and Accuset .

Don P

Bingo, now to the heart of the question. They're both the same species. One has a "condition"

Jeff

Heart wood and new wood  southern yellow pine. Don are you in Virginy now?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

one looks like reaction wood, kinda like the upper side of a laning tree.  The second one looks like plantation wood.

Don P

Alright Tom!
We have a winner.  It's a chunk of compression wood from some trim I was cutting last week. I sliced the eastern white pine paper thin and placed it in the window to see through the translucent wood. The white pine was what was throwing you southern guys, I had an advantage knowing what the species was when I saw what looked like syp type grain and started cogitating on it...its tougher when the whole log isn't in front of you, the side grain fit the bill for compression wood too. I think it would have been on the underside (compression side) of the lean in a softwood IIRC.

Jeff, I've been bouncing around. After working solo for 10 weeks I went back and got Michelle and dragged her back up here to IL ('twern't all that hard ;)  :D ) Had her here for a little over a week, just long enough to install the ceiling t&g and she got called back down to NC yesterday. They scheduled the first 3000 mile oil change for the end of December on the new truck, we might be pushing that up a tad :D. I should be wrapping up in a few weeks. Horselogger did the caulking job on the exterior and finished today, he also got us a hickory floor.

Thank You Sponsors!