iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Solved: Yellow Jasmine

Started by Tom, February 18, 2002, 12:57:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

Found this "yaller flaier" on a vine entwined around a little pine.  The place is full of it.  It's about the size of a half-dollar.  You know, that coin they used to make years ago that's a little bigger than a quarter before they quit making most everything but quarters. :D

This wouldn't be a "Yaller Flaier of Texus".

Bud Man

The groves were God's first temples.. " A Forest Hymn"  by.. William Cullen Bryant

Bud Man

If it not above than it must be ===RHODODENDRON==
The groves were God's first temples.. " A Forest Hymn"  by.. William Cullen Bryant

Tillaway

Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

jwood

Kinda resembles a Carolina Yellow Jasmine

DanG

Ya beat me to it, jwood!  I dunno about the "Carolina" part, but it sho is a yellow Jasamine.

BTW, welcome aboard. Stick around, cause this is a fun and useful site.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Tom

Jasmine it is !

Poisonous, pretty little flower on a spindly, not always foliage covered vine.  The bane of the bee keepers who blame it on the death of their bees. Supposedly highly toxic to ruminants.

http://www.gardenguides.com/articles/jasmine.htm
http://www.auburn.edu/~deancar/wfnotes/yjasm.htm
http://sd1new.net/GardenPages/carolina-jasmine.htm
http://www.caf.wvu.edu/~forage/library/poisonous/page7.htm#yellow

DanG

I dunno about the toxicity of it. Our goat chow down on it with gusto, and we ain't lost one, yet. I don't agree about the bees, either. Jasmine and bees have been around for a long time, and the bees didn't seem to have a problem until those little parasitic moths got into them.

The yellow jasmine has the nicest scent of any flower I know of, including the rose.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Don P

Shame about the goats, keep trying, somethings bound to work sooner or later. ;D

DanG

:D :D

I figgered somebody would catch that!  

The goat is an amazin' animal. They're so cute when they're little, that you want to take good care of'em. Then, when they grow up, ya don't mind the butchering chore, at all. 8) 8) 8)

L. Wakefield

I just ran into a feller who has some Kashmir goats he needs a home for. I have always wanted to spin cashmir- it is so extremely soft- better than alpaca- altho they are bothe excellent. I am going to go look at the critters tomorrow. They sure have some gnarly looking horns, from the pictures i've seen.

I'm a sucker for fostering animals- just took in a cast-off hen who is prettier than the rest of mine. They jostled a bit but are getting along fine. ::)   lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Don P

Don't buy a Kashmir goat for the fiber, Which only leaves don't buy a goat ;D. A friend went that route but on our lusher lower altitude, rainier...whatever pastures the goats didn't make cashmere, just alot of rank guard hairs. I personally think they don't have enough stress.

L. Wakefield

I'm gonna go look at the critters and the fiber as well fore I commit myself. Actually now I left the address and # of the guy in my scrubs at work- or pitched it out when I cleaned my pockets- so it won't be today, anyway.

The goats are in Gorham. That could be stressful.  :D :D :D- I know what you mean tho. The underfir is for warmth, and if it's already warm they are not going to 'prime up' like they should.

Another interesting fiber is camel. Were I in the climes inhabited by camels, I should make quite a fool of myself I am sure, wanting to learn about the fiber..  lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Tom

Hmmmmm   I wonder if there are camel sitters or goat sitters that protest the shearing of these animal in an effort to protect them from their nakednes.  :-/

Do you reckon Washington D. C. has a camel lobby?  If so, I'll bet they are real busy, what with the current state of affairs in the "camel" countries.   :D

L. Wakefield

Not to mention decades of exploitation of the beast for tobacco sales. Hmm- camel lobby butts heads with tobacco lobby. At this rate they'll start selling opium cigarettes next. Camels sit back taking it easy, Afghanis count their bux and laugh, tobacco guys rest secure in the knowledge that the cigs are now both pain-relieving and doubly addictve- and a good time was had by all..lw

Thank You Sponsors!