Sponsors:

Paul Harvey

Started by Corley5, February 28, 2009, 08:31:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corley5

Just heard on Fox that Paul Harvey has passed away at 90 years old  :( :(
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

DanG

That's sad, as it always is when we lose somebody that we've known for so many years.  I used to listen to him during my lunch hour, way back in the 70s.  It was like Readers Digest on the radio.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

SwampDonkey

I always listened to him too. He had an internet broadcast the last few years and when he wasn't at the mic because he was horse or something his son was there telling the stories of the day. I remember him on radio a very long time. All I see on his website now is his picture with a mic.

http://www.abcrn.com/harvey
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

beenthere

Corely5  Heard that too. He and his son have been trying for years to switch the show over to the son, but the voice just wasn't the same. Another legend passes on.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

fishpharmer

First I heard of Paul Harvey's death.  I used to love hearing his show. 

I would venture to say more folks heard him on radio than any other personality over his career.   Just a guess.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

TexasTimbers

I want to be sad, but I have too many good memories of his uplifting voice, stories, and especially of his genuine good character as a human being.

It is fitting that he should follow his soul mate so quickly to the place I know them to be. He is no longer lonely as he has been for this past year or so.

Get busy preparing a heavenly story for us Paul, we aren't far behind. :)
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Tom

I enjoyed the "Rest of the story" more than any news type or humanitarian storyteller in the media.  Were there anymore?   If there is one thing I'll remember, it will be his chuckle.  he was always upbeat.

sawguy21

He was a master story teller with fascinating punch lines. I made a point of having the radio on at 5:30 to hear 'The REST of the Story'. Another of my favorites was Earl Nightingale. That style of journalism is gone.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

TexasTimbers

The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

SwampDonkey

I would say Jack Fenety and his "Fact and Fancy" show, of Fredericton's CFNB radio for 42 years, was a great radio announcer and story teller to. I remember him on radio for a long time as well. He served in the Canadian army for 5 years until 1945 when he joined the station. He was also president of the Mirimachi Salmon Federation for 35 years. He passed in July 2007 at age 86. He aired over 12,000 Fact and Fancy episodes and the show retired when he retired in 1988. You probably won't find anything recorded on the internet since he was Fredericton's own. He was made a member of the order of Canada for 50 years of volunteer work. I think there are a few more radio personalities we remember out there, many never broadcast to the masses, but instead to local towns. We all miss them.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

ADAMINMO

Paul Harvey has died at the age of 90. I listen to his radio show every morning . Won't be the same without him. Farewell Paul !!!

pineywoods

Paul Harvey was even better in an off-the air-off the record environment. I saw him take on the Federal Aviation Adm about our mess of an air trafic ontrol system. Awsome 8)
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

sawguy21

I imagine that was entertaining.  :D :D :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

OneWithWood

One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Toolman

Listening to him takes me back to my mid teens, helping my grandfather at the mill. He always shut down to hear Mr. Harvey at lunch time.  This is for you Mr. Harvey..............................Goood Day? ;)
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have" (Thomas Jefferson)

Thank You Sponsors!