iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Danzo saw

Started by hedgerow, April 07, 2015, 07:46:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hedgerow

Seriously looking at the Danzo connect and cut hyd saws. I have read a lot of the firewood processors builds and it appears some folks have use them on there processors. Just trying to find out how they have stood the test of time. Trying to decide if spending $4,000 for a saw is going to be a good idea. I know a lot of people have built there own. My problem is I don't have the tools to do the machining that will be needed. I had a person lined up to do it and now it hasn't worked out.

hedgerow

Sorry for the spelling should have been Danzco connect and cut saws. The guys that are using them must not be on here any more.

North River Energy

Maybe send Higgo a PM?  He's on every so often with an update on his project.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,75962.0.html

hedgerow

Quote from: North River Energy on April 08, 2015, 07:28:50 PM
Maybe send Higgo a PM?  He's on every so often with an update on his project.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,75962.0.html
Thanks for the suggestion. I did contact him and he got right back to me. He hasn't gotten his processor to the point of being able to use the saw. He did suggest another member to contact so I will do that. 

blackfoot griz

I built my saw without any fancy machining. The base is 2 pillow block bearings and a shaft. The saw mount is a chunk of 1/2 inch plate with 2 holes drilled through it for the saw motor and welded to the shaft for a pivot.

The Danzco appears to be a great set up though.

How far along are you on your build or are you just in the design/head scratching stage?

lopet

Looks built solid.  8)
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

hedgerow

Blackfoot gris I have a fair amount of the processor build. The quick specs are one of my old splitters mounted on a 16 foot trailer frame with two 3500 pound axles. splitter runs a six inch cylinder. Mounted a 3x11 foot roller conveyor on top of the splitter with two four foot sections mounted on the side to feed the conveyor. Planning on building a hyd wheel to advance the wood to the saw and hold it. I don't want to use a regular chain saw for the saw. I thought about going belt drive chain saw with another engine. I have a 18 hp vanguard and 28 gpm two stage pump that has run the splitter for years. If I go hyd then I will need to buy a big block kohler like you and Gf did as I don't have any engines around that will pull big enough pumps to run a saw. Maybe I better try to build a saw and spend that $4,000 on a motor and more pumps. I just cut 15 cords a year for myself. Just looking for a easier way to do that as my help supply has dried up.

blackfoot griz

I don't know if this will help. My saw, clamp and saw cylinder run off one section of hydraulic pump. It is 15 gpm @ 1500 psi that runs the saw, saw cylinder and motor.   This equates to needing an additional 15 hp.

Do you have any pics of your project?

lopet

Quote from: hedgerow on April 11, 2015, 09:10:51 PM
I don't want to use a regular chain saw for the saw. I thought about going belt drive chain saw with another engine.

I am afraid this is something you will regret somewhere down the road. And with a belt drive, how do turn it on and off ? Or is constantly running ?  I have seen processors run on old car engines to save some money, or another option would be a manual chainsaw chop saw. Running two engines doesn't make sense to me. But hey, it's your machine, you do what you have to do.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.

hedgerow

I don't have any pictures. I need to get set up to take some pictures and figure out how to post them. I know running two engines doesn't make a lot of sense but spending a bunch of money on hyds probably doesn't either. I was thinking of using a double belt electric clutch to turn the saw on and off. Don't know if the clutch would stand up or not.

lopet

Looking forward to some pictures.  But still think it's gonna cost you more money and effort to build it the way you're thinking.
I would be looking for a little 30-40 hp diesel of a little compact tractor with a PTO. Used tandem pumps you find at the truck wreckers for 200-300 bucks. Just giving you ideas.

hedgerow

Quote from: lopet on April 12, 2015, 11:42:31 AM
Looking forward to some pictures.  But still think it's gonna cost you more money and effort to build it the way you're thinking.
I would be looking for a little 30-40 hp diesel of a little compact tractor with a PTO. Used tandem pumps you find at the truck wreckers for 200-300 bucks. Just giving you ideas.\

I had given some thought to going PTO as we have several tractors around we could use. Looked at some combine engines as they are fairly cheap in our area. Just need to make a decision and go with it. It is just about time to go to the field here so the saw and processor will probably be on hold. The hyd saw is probably the way to go. Just need to build it or buy it.   

SquareG

Quote from: hedgerow on April 07, 2015, 07:46:17 PM
Seriously looking at the Danzo connect and cut hyd saws. I have read a lot of the firewood processors builds and it appears some folks have use them on there processors. Just trying to find out how they have stood the test of time. Trying to decide if spending $4,000 for a saw is going to be a good idea. I know a lot of people have built there own. My problem is I don't have the tools to do the machining that will be needed. I had a person lined up to do it and now it hasn't worked out.

A more specific question, do most commercial processors and bucksaw assemblies use pressure compensated feed rate, or just fixed feed?

edit to add:  from danzco literature "feed modulating valve to adjust the feed speed based on the saw motor pressure".

Lazy logger

Quote from: hedgerow on April 11, 2015, 10:19:07 PM
I don't have any pictures. I need to get set up to take some pictures and figure out how to post them. I know running two engines doesn't make a lot of sense but spending a bunch of money on hyds probably doesn't either. I was thinking of using a double belt electric clutch to turn the saw on and off. Don't know if the clutch would stand up or not.
Since I started my project I ran into someone using an electric clutch set up. He said it worked good.
I know the voices in my head aren't real,but sometimes their ideas are just absolutely awesome!

hedgerow

Lazy Logger. Over the weekend I went ahead and ordered a 40 Hp kohler engine so I will probably go hyd on the saw. Now I need to make the final decision   on buying the ready made saw for the $4,000 since I already spend $3,000 for a motor and still need pumps or try to build a saw and hopefully save some money.Just about time to plant corn in this area so this project will be on hold for a while.

North River Energy

If you're not in a hurry to get the machine together, I'd think you could do an awful lot of creative engineering for 4k.

Lazy logger

Quote from: hedgerow on April 21, 2015, 08:19:16 PM
Lazy Logger. Over the weekend I went ahead and ordered a 40 Hp kohler engine so I will probably go hyd on the saw. Now I need to make the final decision   on buying the ready made saw for the $4,000 since I already spend $3,000 for a motor and still need pumps or try to build a saw and hopefully save some money.Just about time to plant corn in this area so this project will be on hold for a while.
I was in the same position trying to decide. I am in the same corner with North River Energy, If you look around I am sure you can build something for that kind of money. I am fortunate to have the resources I have, but even if I didn't I would have hired it done at a machine shop. Any way you look at this it costs alot of money. Let me know if I can help I'll be glad to. LL
I know the voices in my head aren't real,but sometimes their ideas are just absolutely awesome!

hedgerow

You guys have some good points. Looking at Surplus center web site the motors that a couple people have used on there saw builds are $300 to $ 400. Probably is going to be worth trying to put some thing together before I spend the $4,000 when you are only process 15 cord of firewood a year.

hedgerow

Just a quick up date. The 40 Hp kohler engine made it to my place undamaged. I bought a motor at Surplus center it is a Dyna Power bent axis piston motor. Item 9-1889 for $250.00. I already purchased a 36 in 404 harvester bar and just ordered a 15 pin 404 taper lock sprocket. Trying to get the rest of the corn planted and then maybe a little time to work on the saw before it's time to plant beans. 

Oliver1655

I'm going to have to swing by to see your progress one of these days. 

Have you checked with Homelite410 to see if he could machine the saw block/mount for you?
John

Stihl S-08s (x2), Stihl S10 (x2), Jonsered CS2139T, Husqvarna 338XPT California, Poulan Microvibe XXV, Poulan WoodShark, Poulan Pro 42cc, McCulloch Mini-Mac 6 (x2), Van Ruder Hydraulic Tractor Chainsaw

Oliver1655

What wedge system are you planning to use?
John

Stihl S-08s (x2), Stihl S10 (x2), Jonsered CS2139T, Husqvarna 338XPT California, Poulan Microvibe XXV, Poulan WoodShark, Poulan Pro 42cc, McCulloch Mini-Mac 6 (x2), Van Ruder Hydraulic Tractor Chainsaw

hedgerow

Oliver 1655. I think I have another local guy lined up to make the saw block and a output shaft for the hyd motor to go from 1 1/4 in 14 spline to 1 in keyed for the taper lock sprocket. Planted beans all weekend in between the rain drops. Rained out now so I went back to my real job today. The sprocket and taper lock showed up in the mail Sat. I will load the hyd motor, sprocket and bar up today and take to the new machine guy and see if he will get my parts made. I haven't decided on the wedge style yet. It will be a four or six way hyd adjust. The splitter part of the processor is one of my old splitters but does need a new wedge as I have added a new six inch dia cylinder with a different stroke so the wedge will have to be moved any way.   

hedgerow

Time for a update. Machinist got the parts made. Know I have a complete Hyd saw mounted. Know it is time for advice on had to control the down pressure on the 2 inch saw cylinder. I will probably use some sequence valves to clamp the log then start the saw and finally move the bar to make the cut. Is everyone using a pressure compensated flow regulator to do that and what brand and model are they using.

blackfoot griz

On your saw cylinder, you could use a manual flow control that allows you to easily adjust the speed of the saw cylinder extension. I did this and it can go from cutting way too fast (and kill the engine) to stopping the cut stroke (waiting for the splitter to return to the home position). Just a suggestion 

North River Energy

It may be different for a bar saw, but I find having the finger clamp isolated from the 'saw drop' comes in handy from time to time on my circle rig.

Usually on the last cut, or if I want to reposition a crooked section using the flip table and clamp.

Thank You Sponsors!