iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

valley machine works edger

Started by snowmobile95, December 25, 2010, 10:28:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snowmobile95

Hi, to all. I am new to this forum, and this my first post.
I recently stumbled opon a valley machine works edger at a local salvage yard for $100.00  which seems to be in very usable condition, with the eception of a missing motor. It had an electric motor on it that looks like it was just removed prior to entering the salvage yard. I want to install a gas or diesel one on it. I spent many hours online searching for info on it, but found nothing, other than a very small picture of one up for auction which looks like the one I have. Mine does not have a model number listed on the tag just a vin# and ser#. The one up for auction states it is a junior edger, model JES2X24.

I compared it to the woodmizer edger (pictures) and it seems to be identical to the one I have.

Does anyone no anything about this unit? What size pulley would I need for the motor? Or where I might be able to locate an operaters manual?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

THANK YOU  :

Bibbyman

Welcome to the Forum!

Does it look anything like this Wood-Mizer edger? 

If I remember right,  the old model Wood-Mizer edger (not the one in the picture) was made in Canada by Valley.

Putting an engine on it should be no big problem.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Dave Shepard

I have an old Sawmill and Woodlot that has an advertisement for a twin blade exactly like that one Bibbyman, only it was made by Valley.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

snowmobile95

Yes it looks identical to your machine. With a few small differences. There is a black arm on side opposite the engine between the 2 upper roller bearings on yours, but not on mine. And mine has 3 shafts exposed on the motor side, where yours does not. Looks like there was a cover over them at one time. And the leveling legs (woodmizer) on yours are the same as my LT20, but the ones on my edger are a flipup crank trailer type jack stand.
Looks like I will be contacting Woodmizer for an operators manual for your model, as I beleive it would work. Unless they have one for mine.

thanks, Bibbyman and Dave
your help is very much appreciated.

MartyParsons

Wood-Mizer carries the following parts for the Valley edger:
Item Description Valley
Part No.
Wood-Mizer
Part No.
1 BLADE, 18T HARDWOOD JE2X24041 012967
2 BLADE, 8T SOFTWOOD JE2X24117 013000
3 KEY, BLADE SHAFT JE2X24186 018492
4 MANUAL, VALLEY EDGER OPERATOR'S N/A 012985
5 SCREW, LOW HEAD SOCKET HEAD JE2X24179 018493

Merry Christmas!
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

snowmobile95

argyle1

$100.00----holy wow'what abuy
website is www.valleymachines.com---but i couldn't bring it up--listed ph.# is 506 575 2231
it could be that they went broke as I know their pellet machine manufacturing department did----a guy down the road here gave them over a million bucks to build 2 pelleters, then they went broke, he wound up owning the patents and still had the machines built. He.s just starting production now, after 2 yrs---good thing he had deep pockets

once you know the rpm of the engine you will use and you desired arbor speed, the pulley sizes will be easy

snowmobile95

Thats as far as I got to. Valley looks like it is up for sale.

thankyou
Leon

snowmobile95

Meadows Miller

Gday

And Welcome to The Forum Leon  ;) ;D 8) 8) I take it you already have a mill if your adding and edger  ??? I have always liked the look of the valley edgers when I use to get the woodmizer catalogs  ;) with the the pulley sizes you would have to workout the rpm the saw shaft needs to spin at and match that to the type of motor your going to run  ;) all in all if they do go out of action you could most likely fab any replacement parts you would need edgers are pretty simple saw units once you get down to it Mate  ;) ;D 8)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

snowmobile95

I have added pictures of the eder to my profile. But was not able to post any, because I am unable to create an album. Spent many hours this morning with lots of frustration and no success.

Corley5

A hundred bucks is pretty DanGed cheap.  Buy it before someone else does  :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

beenthere

Quote from: snowmobile95 on December 26, 2010, 12:25:11 PM
I have added pictures of the eder to my profile. But was not able to post any, because I am unable to create an album. Spent many hours this morning with lots of frustration and no success.

Can we help with the pics? Did you go to your profile and set up your gallery?  (not sure if that is what you meant when you said "unable to create an album").

And check out the java test that Jeff just posted.
http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml

None of pic posting should be difficult...just sometimes don't know how really close we are when it feels we are no-where close. :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Bibbyman

Quote from: beenthere on December 26, 2010, 01:27:26 PM

None of pic posting should be difficult...just sometimes don't know how really close we are when it feels we are no-where close. :)

'Nether words,  It's pretty easy once you figure it out.  ;)
Sawing since '94

snowmobile95

the problem i'm having is that the image archive button that's supposed be clicked in order to start an album does not appear anywhere. at least that is what it is telling me to do in the help menu.

r.man

Leon, there are pictures at your profile that appear to be a motorless planer. Welcome to the forum.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Bibbyman

Quote from: snowmobile95 on December 26, 2010, 02:46:35 PM
the problem i'm having is that the image archive button that's supposed be clicked in order to start an album does not appear anywhere. at least that is what it is telling me to do in the help menu.

I'm not the expert at this but maybe if you poke the Forum Extras button above.

It looks like this ==>

And then go to the "Photo Galleries".  You may be able to start you album there.

Good luck...
Sawing since '94

Dave Shepard

The pics in his profile are of the Valley edger in question. Looks almost identical to the W-M ED26 we have at work.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

red

Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

papow22

Quote from: snowmobile95 on December 26, 2010, 12:25:11 PM
Same goes for me,For a second there "I" thought I was the only one that did everthing ?????????? ::) :-\ :'( eh.Then I was  :o to see I was not alone :D.I hope to find a answer soon.I even redone the java update.I don't know if i'm  :P in the words rite >:(.I only got to add some photo's that I had to my profile,without sucess to add a album or creat one. >:( >:(.
Lives to do sawdust,run a trapline,hunt big game,live life to it's most.Got 4 mills a circle mill,(2 band sawmills) Norwood's 2000, Trim Saw,Beam Machine (chainsaw mill).

sandhills

Quote from: red on January 02, 2011, 10:15:13 PM
I will give you $200   :D
DanG!  I was gonna offer 150, to late now I guess ;)

Brucer

Quote from: snowmobile95 on December 25, 2010, 08:01:45 PM
Yes it looks identical to your machine. With a few small differences.

Bibby's machine looks just like mine, too. In fact, I even see my vehicle in the background.  :D :D :D

There is a black arm on side opposite the engine between the 2 upper roller bearings on yours, but not on mine.

That's actually a pair of levers for undoing the blade collars. They hang on the side of the machine on a couple of pins.

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

snowmobile95

Quote from: Brucer on January 05, 2011, 12:44:17 AM
Quote from: snowmobile95 on December 25, 2010, 08:01:45 PM
Yes it looks identical to your machine. With a few small differences.

Bibby's machine looks just like mine, too. In fact, I even see my vehicle in the background.  :D :D :D

There is a black arm on side opposite the engine between the 2 upper roller bearings on yours, but not on mine.

That's actually a pair of levers for undoing the blade collars. They hang on the side of the machine on a couple of pins.

thanks brucer, i'm gona have to try and locate something like that in order to change blades, or some type of wrench.

snowmobile95

Quote from: red on January 02, 2011, 10:15:13 PM
I will give you $200   :D
Thanks for the offer, but edger is not for sale. It is at the moment completely dismantaled and going under the gun of the sand blaster. Well thats what I thought, until my compressor decided it was time for retirement, the pump took a dump. I looked at one from Harbor Freight it's a v-twin model # 93786 rated for a 5 horse motor. I know when you "buy cheap you get cheap" but at a $149.00, and if it lasts me through the project I think it might be a worthwhile investment. Thats some of the chances we all have to take with the economy the way it is right know.

Anyone have any other suggestions on a compressor pump? Or would that be a good choice?
I was told Eaton has some compairable in that price range and  supposidly to be made in the GOOD OL USA with a 5 year warranty.
thanks, Leon

silent

I know this is an old, old thread.  I'm a newbie here, but I have been combing internet looking for anyone who has the Harbor Freight 93786 compressor pump either for sale or in need for the valves.  I was able to replicate this part that is no longer available from Harbor Freight out of stainless steel.  I'd either like to buy this compressor or if someone needs a set of valves, I'd be willing to exchange a set of 4 for some really good pictures of the insides and the repair job itself.  

I posted here because I see "snowmobile95" has this compressor and maybe he could help me even though this thread is 7 years old.  I'm available to be emailed at:  moc.enecirtaeb@tnelis if you type that in backwards.

Thanks for the help.  Keep my email address handy if you need valves for this compressor and get in touch with me.  I should be able to help you keep that old compressor going for a few more years.

Erin

Thank You Sponsors!