iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wolf or Coyote?

Started by Jeff, January 24, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

We retrieved a camera from behind Lou's that was placed right on the edge of Lou's Carlton Marsh and found this photo. All the tracks were gone by the time the card was recovered.

I don't know. What do you guys think? I'm leaning towards wolf. They just look to square and heavy to be coyotes.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Coyotes have the gene in them from a Red Wolf.
These look like a Coyote. But to me it's hard to tell because they are in full winter fur making them larger.

I love the pic no matter what they are.  smiley_thumbsup

Update....I keep looking and now I say wolf. I have never seen a Coyote with the fascial colors like the one in the rear.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Shotgun

Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

chevytaHOE5674

Mooseherder

They look more like Wolves.  Might be some younger ones.
Those guys do look more filled out than coyotes.

beenthere

The nose of a wolf, not of a coyote.
Good pics.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Sprucegum

Husky sled dogs gone wild  ???

Bogue Chitto

That looks like wolves.  Coyote has thinner legs.

Jay C. White Cloud

Hi Jeff,

Dust'n off the memory banks from my other side of life, field biology, I can tell you that the coyote that we knew as a children, just in our life span, may well be no more in many parts of it's Northern range.  Now with the aid of genetic testing, much is being revealed.  When coyote hybridize with dogs and then dogs with wolves, you now get a hybrid with both traits and the ability to "jump," between the two.  This research has lead to many debates and new determination of species identity, not only base on genetics and anatomy, but also base line ethology.

So in a word, (and perhaps percentage,) they be Wolf.

"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

fishpharmer

I have only seen coyotes in the wild.  The upper picture has what looks like the end of a log lower right of closer animal.  If you could measure across it, that would give a size reference.  The closer animal's head looks considerably larger than the dark spot.  Does that make sense?

They look larger than coyotes I have seen. Tough to tell (for me) without a size reference.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Jeff

That dark spot is now well under the snow cover. There is a lot of snow up here now compared to when that photo was taken. When I got into the cabin this morning, it was only 5° in here. The heater has been on wide open since a little after 9 AM and it just broke 50 in here, but the snow I tracked in is not melting off the floor yet.

I may go out tonight and do some howling and see if I can get a reply. That is if my lips don't freeze together when I step outside. :D  Burlkraft should be here in a few hours. I think he's taking his time to make sure its warm in here before he arrives.  Icey is standing here looking at me with her breath coming out like a cloud. :D

I LOVE IT HERE!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

loghorse

check the tail.curled up on the end wolf.tail drags on ground coyote.this is observation i have seen in person.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Jeff on January 24, 2013, 05:02:28 PM

I may go out tonight and do some howling and see if I can get a reply.

I LOVE IT HERE!

Where's my Video camera.  :D

You might get more replies than you hope for looking at your pics.  ;D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: loghorse on January 24, 2013, 05:29:12 PM
check the tail.curled up on the end wolf.tail drags on ground coyote.this is observation i have seen in person.

Welcome Log Horse. Glad to have you.

thecfarm

Very nice pictures.
loghorse,welcome to the forum. I like your name. You log with horses?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

JuniperBoss

"The three great essentials to achieve anything worthwhile are, first, hard work; second, stick-to-itiveness; third, common sense." --- Thomas Edison

JuniperBoss

Actually on second look they kinda look like a mix. Is that possible? They are big and the faces look wolfish but that one dog in the second photo in the back really looks like a coyote.
"The three great essentials to achieve anything worthwhile are, first, hard work; second, stick-to-itiveness; third, common sense." --- Thomas Edison

JuniperBoss

I was wrong. I think they are wolves now :D.

beenthere

Google "coyote wolf comparison" and there will be several pics of both as well as sites that compare them to each other. No question that these are wolves.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

treefarmer87

one up front looks like a coyote and the one in back a wolf. maybe its both, but not likely ???
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Jay C. White Cloud

Do some not read the entire post thread.  Do what Beenthere suggested.  Most wild Canids found in Northern U.S. are hybrids, with very heavy Wolf gene matrix, so for all practical purposes, Jeff has a real nice photo of a pair of WOLVES, or at minimum a clear hybrid.
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

Bibbyman

We had a dowg/wolf cross for about 10 years.  It was some 80% wolf and rest husky.

We see many coyotes every winter.  I've killed a few.

These are wolves.  Or at least more wolf than anything else.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

SwampDonkey

Wolves tend to be longer legged than coyotes. I'd say these are wolves. But some kind of cross. Coyote has a narrower muzzle and ours have brown fur on top of their snout.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

doctorb

My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Thank You Sponsors!