iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My walnut thread

Started by nativewolf, December 02, 2017, 08:38:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nativewolf

So may wonder about leaving in log form vs bucking.  We hope by leaving in long tree form we'll get more as the buyer can mark their own cuts.
Liking Walnut

SW Oh Logger

In most cases we always do that--many buyers actually will prefer that they are left like that. We've even taken them in  on a non-bid ,haul to the mill basis in tree length first cut up to 25 ft. long. Your walnut looks great! Hows the sap and growth rings, good color?
Snellerized 390xp,stock 395

nativewolf

Just cut so give them a few days to color up, VA walnut has a decent color.  Sap rings are not too large.  Bird peek in a tree or two but not bad.  The fusiform cancers are the biggest issues, some are really nice and then a canker 20' up a perfect bole.  Makes you want to cry.  Hope to get to 100mbf on this auction.

Liking Walnut

nativewolf

Some grim news today.  Friday the Chinese govt started enforcing a ban on logs with bark unless fumigated.  Before it was not enforced.  Thousands of containers at sea full of logs.  Really throws a wrench into walnut sales for me.  

Vietnam & Germany should remain good markets at least.  We'll see what happens.

I should mention that we just started a week inspection for a sealed bid that ends this Friday, that notice was sent out Friday and today 3 hot buyers called to give regrets that they are not allowed to buy until they figure out what to do.  Huge amount of money at stake for me, thought I was going to leave the day job.   :(
Liking Walnut

Hans1

Please keep us posted on any devopments with the exportation problems. We had just finished a sale and were going to wait til the late summer to cut more. Good luck with everything.

TKehl

X2

I don't think the fumigation requirement will really slow things down long term.  But temporary turmoil is sure possible.  The timing sure sucks for you.   :(  
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

nativewolf

Yeah, it will be sorted out quickly ie in the next couple of months.  Frankly the Chinese have no other sources for this material so they are buying.  This is why China imposed tarrifs on Ag commodities...they can buy wheat and corn elsewhere.  Good walnut and oak is a US game right now.  Europe a net importer for the last 100 years, Siberia (east siberia that is like Michigan/ Ontario ) was raped in the last 25 years; Japan..raped itself; Korea, Japan raped it and Korean war burned off the rest.  No good sources of temperate hardwoods outside the US.  

Short term it disrupts my cash flow.  Veneer buyers so far have been very very bullish only problem is there have only been 3 instead of 6 and only 2 more coming.  

The biggest hit is going to be the small sawlog stuff I was getting $1.5 or more for small sawlogs and now we'll get $.90 or so.  That doesn't leave much if anything after timber costs and harvest costs.  
Liking Walnut

nativewolf

Ok, well first auction done.  Results were not great as hoped.  Butt logs averaged $4/bdft, frankly I think if China had not done this sudden enforcement we'd have been closer to $5 or $6.  I canceled the sale of the tops, I'll hold them for a month and wait for the Chinese ports to sort out.  About 5.4MBF of seconds and thirds from 8.5MBF of butt logs.  Anyhow, thought people might be interested.  The next set of logs is cut and I'm not sure if we'll cut more this May or wait til September.  A lot is going to depend upon what we hear.  The winning bidder was from Ohio, FYI.  11 teams had registered to bid and I was turning people away.  After the announcement we ended up with 4 bids.  So, some of the froth went out.

This auction was for about 1/4 of the total forest walnut stems.  
Liking Walnut

mike_belben

Why turning people away?
Praise The Lord

nativewolf

Well I have to be there when they scale, it takes them 2-3 hours depending on what they were bidding for (butts or everything).  They are often late..so say 4 hours for each one.  That's 40 hours of sitting on my bottom.  No cell, can't call new clients, etc.  Thought 10 diverse buyers was plenty to get pricing right.
Liking Walnut

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

blendinbiz

Fumigation, how long will it take and for how much per ctn?
I heard lots of logs were rejected at the port bcz no fumigation certificate

nativewolf

Yes it really screwed things up for me and two of our clients, right in midst of harvest.  It is slowly working itself out, the port of virginia is peeling and fumigating now but $$$.  

We sent a load up to Canada yesterday, 2nd, 3rd, 4th logs.  Curious to see what happens from that, they grade on international scale.
Liking Walnut

blendinbiz

international scale is good for you.

nativewolf

International was good on those logs.  Averaged almost $2/bdft on international scale.  So, more scale and the price was fine for those logs.  Probably added 1k or more to the load and they paid the trucking.  The butt logs are scaling better on doyle to be honest.
Liking Walnut

Hans1

Thought I would bring back this thread to see about any current sales and how the prices are doing.

nativewolf

Pricing on good logs was good, I've been waiting on some large new clients till I have new equipment.  Just too wet to do much.  40-50k feet went out this winter.   However, it is a milkshake on the skid trails so I shut down.

Waiting on drier weather and a new forwarder.  
Liking Walnut

Hans1

Thanks for the update we are able to keep working lots of snow and cold but a lot better than mud. 

Thank You Sponsors!