iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

OH NO! sheared crank shaft on 06 Husky 359XP

Started by derhntr, September 24, 2018, 10:13:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derhntr

My beloved 359XP sheared the crank shaft behind the clutch. Would be over $400 to repair it. When I first got the saw I did not like it, but as time went by it became my go to saw. It came with my new WoodMizer LT40HD. It had to live up to the performance of my Sthil  036 Pro.

Once learned the starting procedure it was quick starting saw, pulled a 20 bar with 3/8 chain no problem. I have no idea how many face cords of fire wood I have cut with it, I am sure its many hundreds. Been a good felling and limbing saw as well.

Not sure what to do with the saw. Any suggestions?  
2006 Woodmizer LT40HDG28 with command control (I hate walking in sawdust)
US Army National Guard (RET) SFC

dougand3

Probably best to sell 359 for parts and get another 60cc saw.
Or an opportunity to learn saw repair. An OEM crankshaft is $100 or AM is $25. Will need seals, maybe bearings, too.
This is the most major repair - so, not recommended for 1st time effort.
Husky: 372xt, 272xp, 61, 55 (x3)...Poulan: 315, 4218 (x3), 2375, 2150, 2055, 2000 (x3)...Stihl 011AVT...Homelite XL...Saws come in broken, get fixed or parted, find new homes

derhntr

Was told $212 for OME crank, $25 for bearings, $15 for seals and gaskets, 2 hours labor guessing. Good mechanic. His phone estimate around $400

dougand3

Search online for parts prices. Eg: Ebay - "Husqvarna 359 crankshaft".
Husky: 372xt, 272xp, 61, 55 (x3)...Poulan: 315, 4218 (x3), 2375, 2150, 2055, 2000 (x3)...Stihl 011AVT...Homelite XL...Saws come in broken, get fixed or parted, find new homes

sawguy21

I am a little puzzled. The title says 359XP which I have never heard of then in the body you have a 395XP. Either way as mentioned that is not a project for a first time effort, it involves a complete teardown. I suggest looking for another in good condition and keeping this one for parts.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

derhntr

It is a 359XP E-tech, thanks for the correction

nativewolf

Quote from: derhntr on September 24, 2018, 11:52:55 AM
It is a 359XP E-tech, thanks for the correction
I suggest time for a new saw.  I've repaired and bought repaired saws, they fail again too soon in my limited experience and since I've bought several in 2 years and most had some failure within 2 years I'm done with them.  You can buy a new 562xp for less than $700.  Do that and enjoy the new saw, keep it for 10 years and it might be the last gasoline saw you'll ever need.  That batter powered saws are making huge progress and I think in 10 years we're going to see electric saws with good power/weight ratios for most jobs.
Liking Walnut

Al_Smith

Some fail some don't mine for some reason hold up .If you need another saw buy one .Toss the parts in a box .Some day the repair parts will come around probably when you least expect them  .Don't worry about lack of experience,it's not rocket science .Besides how bad could it get messed up ,it doesn't work now . I don't know why so many make a big deal out of it  ???

lxskllr

Quote from: Al_Smith on September 24, 2018, 02:15:23 PM
Besides how bad could it get messed up ,it doesn't work now . I don't know why so many make a big deal out of it  ???
I like that philosophy, and that's how I generally look at things. It won't get any more broken. Speaking for myself though, I don't enjoy mechanical work. I'll do it out of necessity(monetary or otherwise), but in the case of catastrophic failure like the op, I'd be looking at a new saw. Maybe play with the broken stuff at my leisure if the mood struck.

Al_Smith

I've told two wives(deceased ) and one lady friend I can fix anything from a battle ship to a broken heart .The later just takes longer . 8) 

nativewolf

Quote from: Al_Smith on September 24, 2018, 02:15:23 PM
Some fail some don't mine for some reason hold up .If you need another saw buy one .Toss the parts in a box .Some day the repair parts will come around probably when you least expect them  .Don't worry about lack of experience,it's not rocket science .Besides how bad could it get messed up ,it doesn't work now . I don't know why so many make a big deal out of it  ???
More though it is a function of time, I don't have enough as it is.  If you are not mechanical to spend hours ordering parts, reordering parts, finding out you don't have the right puller, etc and then doing the repair and then fixing the repair to save a couple of hundred dollars that could be more easily made somewhere else.  Well that is a poor return.  And then at best you've got a fixed saw that broke for some reason and when it broke it might have messed something else up too.  
If it is simple like a broken handle I replace it, even a broken spring in starter.  But that's about the extent to which it makes sense to me.  I'm buying more chains and bars nowadays, trying to keep chain sharp.  Eventually it is a small simple engine with limited life.  It's going to fail.
Liking Walnut

derhntr

Sawguy21 was right. I looked the saw over again it is a 359 E-Tech, not sure how I came up with 359XP. Thanks for looking out for Me Sawguy21 :D

Al_Smith

Repair of anything is a simple mind over matter .Some can't some can and some will never try so they will never know .I agree though it's not for everybody .I was raised up in  highly agricultural area  in addition to highly industrial area and have been around machinery since I was a little boy 
So this stuff is just second nature for me .

LaneC

I like that saying "mind over matter" if you don't mind, it don't matter. :D
Man makes plans and God smiles

caveman

I broke a mount on my 359 a while back and ended up buying a good used case half and with the guidance of the fine folks on the FF we were able to replace the case half and put it back into service.  I had never torn into a chainsaw previous to this.  A little time watching youtube videos also helped.  I made a little tool to separate the halves and used a little heat from a heat gun to help it slip back
together.

I should have cleaned and drained it before disassembly.  It is the saw that I reach for most often and has burned many gallons of fuel since it has been reassembled.  I would rather use my tools than work on them but the cost to repair this saw was much less than replacing it as my choice for replacement would be in the 70's cc range.

Caveman

celliott

If he were to rebuild this one there is no need to build or buy a case splitter. Crank is busted and junk anyways so I'd put the heat to it and beat the snot out of the crank, don't even use a dead blow hammer. If you don't miss :D it won't hurt anything.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

teakwood

his crank is busted but the halfs are ok so if you beat them hard you can damage the shelf. and it doesn't need much to damage those aluminium cast pieces 
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

decableguy2000

I'll take it off your hands, if you want to part with it.

Spike60

Quote from: derhntr on September 24, 2018, 11:23:42 AM
Was told $212 for OME crank, $25 for bearings, $15 for seals and gaskets, 2 hours labor guessing. Good mechanic. His phone estimate around $400
Those numbers are accurate. And most would agree a little too much to consider dumping into an old saw like that. Even doing your own work, you're still looking at $250 in parts. 
Easiest solution here is to find a 359 or 357 with a toasted top end and use the crankcase assembly from that. Decent example shouldn't be any more than $100.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Thank You Sponsors!