Sponsors:

timber cart & cherry slabs

Started by Greg, August 31, 2003, 08:10:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg

Fellas,

I gave up trying to put pics into a post, but anyway here's two links of :

- a homemade cart to move around large timbers by myself:

- and some 4" cherry slabs I got out of a blown over tree earlier this summer. Should make some nice braces for my shed.

http://www.prostreampresent.com/milling/cartCherry1.jpg
http://www.prostreampresent.com/milling/cartCherry2.jpg

Greg

Tom

Greg

Thanks Tom for grabbing these,

I was following your FAQ,

But Mozilla bombed out with an error for me on the upload step.

Also, 15K file size limit is quite small. Any chance this could bumped up?

Will try another set of pics later, this time with IE.
Greg

Jeff

QuoteAlso, 15K file size limit is quite small. Any chance this could bumped up?
I am thinking about cutting it to 10. Most of the guys have gotten real good at getting good photos on under 15 so maybe we don't need it that big any more.

Check the file size of the photos Tom Fixed for you. Well under the limit
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jim_Rogers

When I made my timber cart, I made it low and wide. I was hoping that when I used it I could load more than one timber on it, that's why I made it wide. I made it low because I figured if it tipped left or right it wouldn't have far to lean before it hit the ground and then the timbers wouldn't fall off and make it hard to reload:

Making it with one axles and large wheel barrow tires made it very easy to roll. And once a timber was loaded it could be move quite easily by one person:

(driver's view)

Now when I went to use this the first time, it worked good for loading a single timber. As I was alone, I chose not to load more than one. It rolled nicely from the driveway to the back yard where the frame was going to be erected.

But, the problems were that the ground I was rolling over was not flat and the timber cart tipped to the left and the timber did slide off center on the cart and it tipped the cart down until the wide base touched the ground. I had to then strap the timber to the cart to stop it from sliding off center.

Another problem I had was once this cart was empty, it was too short. I was difficult to move empty back to the driveway and reload. I figured I needed a removable handle so that I could easily walk it back to the loading spot without needing to bend over and push it all the way. I used the strap to pull the cart back to the driveway. That worked but was not the best solution.
The design of the handle has not been completed, yet.

Overall it worked but needs improvements.

Greg thanks for sharing your design. Jim

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Minnesota_boy

How about a fixed handle with a strap on it to fasten up to the timber when loaded.  Always there when you get the timber unloaded, not lost in the sawdust/tall grass like mine would be. ;D
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Jim_Rogers

Greg

QuoteWhen I made my timber cart, I made it low and wide. I was hoping that when I used it I could load more than one timber on it, that's why I made it wide. I made it low because I figured if it tipped left or right it wouldn't have far to lean before it hit the ground and then the timbers wouldn't fall off and make it hard to reload:

Very nice pics Jim.

Maybe if we morphed the elements of both our carts into one, we could solve all the design problems!

I chose to make mine higher, thinking I could easily move a timber from my workspace onto the cart without any lifting or bending. I'm 6'5" so my working sawhorse height is quite tall - probably taller than most would like.

Sounded good in concept, but the result is the cart is very tippy. You really have to baby it while pushing along, and steering is a quite a feat. Putting one set of wheels on the outside helped that quite a bit with stability.

Anyways, its light years ahead of where I was and I can at least now muscle timbers around by myself. A big improvement and no sore backs - just ask my wife ;-)

Next design discussion: Work horses for timbers! My setup in my garage right now is very primitive: stacked concrete blocks with two cut off 8x8s to rest on. I plan on moving "the shop" to the barn this fall, but still need to put in some decent lighting out there, hopefully solar powered...

Greg

Jim_Rogers

Greg:
See my recent post: Saw horses or ponies - Which is best?
Jim
Ps: The design I used was copied/modified from something I saw in a book or magazine. It rolls very nice and with the wheels near the middle it turns very easily.

logman

When I cut my frame I borrowed a 2 wheeled greenhouse
cart from work.  It had  nice big tires on it.  It had a metal
frame so I put wood on it to keep from marring the timbers.
It was the perfect height and they carry a lot of weight.
LT40HD, 12' ext, 5105 JD tractor, Genie GTH5519 telehandler
M&K Timber Works

Kirk_Allen

Jim,
Where did you find a shaft for the axle?  I found the tires but no one seems to have rod to fit them.

Thanks

Larry

I've been doing a lot of spring cleaning last few weeks.  Getting rid of all the stuff I no longer use.

Before I hauled this lumber cart off to the antique auction, for some reason thought I would take a few pictures.  This cart came out of a old St Joseph, Missouri lumberyard.  I can remember lots of these carts in use at the Frank Paxton yard in KCMO years ago.

The wheel has a pat. date of 1873 on it.  When the cart is loaded there is a chain on one side that is thrown over the load and hooked in a chain catch on the other side to secure the lumber.

Maybe it will give somebody an idea or two.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

asy

Hey Larry,

Great photo!!

What did the cart fetch at Auction, just out of curiosity!?

By the way, have you guys considered using one set of castor wheels on one end of your trolleys, seems that would make it much easier to manouver...

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Kirk_Allen

Thanks for the pic larry.  That is excatly what I had in mind building.  I was going to use Bicycle tires & rims.  My challenge right now is finding the best axle system.  I may have to pull out the welder on this project.

beenthere

Kirk
We made a deer hauling cart out of bike wheels, and learned that they don't have much strength against side loads. Worked much better to get wheelchair wheels, for us anyway. They seem to have much heavier spokes.
Now the mountain bikes may have better quality and strength than the type of bikes we had access to in the late 60's.
Still, just 'a few' timbers and slabs are going to load up a cart pretty fast.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Furby

Kirk,
If you are using wheelbarrow wheels, they should be 5/8" bore. Just go the the closest scrap/steel yard and ask for a few feet.
I just did that for some 7/8" and 3/4".

Larry,
What did the cart fetch, or if ya still have it, what do ya want for it?

Larry

The cart sold for $7.00

I also sold 10 old iron wheels....going price seemed to be $5.00 each.

Thought they would bring more money but pretty much my business luck...buy high and sell cheap. ::) ::)  :(
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Furby

:'( :'( :'(
I surely could have done a bit better for ya on that cart.
Looked like an interesting piece!
Oh well, kinda outa space anyways. ::)

Jim_Rogers

To answer Kirk's question.
I just went to the hardware side of the store, where I got the wheel barrow wheels and got a piece of threaded rod, maybe 1/2" in diameter. Something easy to find and use.
A caster wheel on either end or both would work for my design.
Thanks for the idea.
Jim Rogers

JoeyLowe

Okay here goes my feeble attempt to post a photo.  This is a picture of my cart with handle.  It is pretty simple and straightforward and works for me.

--
Joey Lowe

"Working towards perfection has to be a part of anything one does.  You've got to put yourself into it." ... Sam Maloof (chairmaker)

Ernie

JoeyLowe

Your "feeble attempt"  was very successful 8) 8) 8).

Looks like a nice cart, stable and easy to handle.  Well done.

Ernie
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Furby

Yep, your "attempt" got it done! 8)

I really like that handle idea, never seen it before.
Thanks!

Thank You Sponsors!