iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hunting- Heater Body Suit

Started by Axe Handle Hound, September 12, 2012, 05:25:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Axe Handle Hound

Any of you out there own or tried one?  Thoughts, likes, dislikes?  I've been thinking of buying one for several years now, but the price tag has always scared me off.  Any opinions would be appreciated.   

POSTON WIDEHEAD

One would tend to "Roast" in one of your said suits here in South Carolina.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Chuck White

I've been thinking the same thing AHH.

They're pricy, but in the right situation, we could probably justify the expense!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Axe Handle Hound

Poston- if you haven't hunted whitetails in single digit or sub zero weather yet it's an experience you really should try someday.  It goes right along with ice fishing.   :)

Chuck White

When it's that cold and you're out there, it makes you wish and pray that you get a deer just so you can get your hands warmed up!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Axe Handle Hound on September 12, 2012, 08:56:31 PM
Poston- if you haven't hunted whitetails in single digit or sub zero weather yet it's an experience you really should try someday.  It goes right along with ice fishing.   :)

I have hunted Deer when it was 9 degrees and the wind was howling. 1 time!
So when it gets that cold again.....I'll shoot Pool in the game room.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

beenthere

I've looked at them, and recall the times when I wished I had something like it. But doubt I'll buy one...too much lugging stuff to a stand.
And now-days, I don't plan to have to sit that long to get a deer. If'n I was big buck hunting, and letting deer go by just waiting, then maybe.

In the 60's and 70's, I'd hike nearly two miles to a ground stand and hunt often in negative below zero weather. Dawn to dusk, no matter the weather. I'd find ways to keep warm with putting on dry clothes at the stand and keeping a few briquets of charcoal burning at my feet between the insteps. Worked ok. Was cold but the best "warmer" was dressing out the deer to get the hands warm.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WH_Conley

I usually use the heater in my old Dodge truck. The deer are so used to the diesel engine on the tractors they will come out of the brush to see what is going on now.  I like to rough it when hunting. ;D
Bill

Ron Scott

I've thought about one, but haven't purchased one yet due to the price and the real need. If I was still hunting much in the cold U.P., I might have one for those long cold sits. Some guys just get into a sleeping bag with some heat packs at less expense on those cold survival days.
~Ron

wdtik

Back in the day before global warming I used to hunt in below zero
all the time.  I remember jump shooting ducks with a buddy in -30 with
a 30 mph wind one afternoon (Alberta Clipper).   There was a flight of thousands in
the warmwater drain ditches in the valley.  We left the truck running
and go in every so often to warm up.  We made the mistake of bringing
the guns in the cab and when we went back out the firing pins froze (condensation).  Till
then it was one of those hunts you never forget.  I had a young lab that
had a inch of ice on his chest but wouldn't quit.  My partner passed away a few years ago..
everyone thought we were kinda nuts :)
We jump up a huge flock of ducks shoot a few and they would hit the wind and fly
a 1/4 mile and set back down..  I hunted elk on the"late hunt" north of yellowstone
park in -54...no big deal..
No such thing as bad weather --just bad clothing..electric anything --no way...

wdtik

This suit is what I've used for arctic cold for since the mid '60's.  Ice fishing
predator calling, too warm for anything active like big game hunting.

Search for --rigger coveralls-

These cost $350 over 40 yrs ago--$600-$1200 today.  They are actually the middle
piece of a 3 piece suit..

I know WW2 bomber crews used electric coveralls but for outdoor arctic wear this is
what is best.   I haven't had to use these for nearly 20 years just don't see really cold
weather like we used to..snowsledding in 20 below I keep the zipper down or I overheat...
Back in the '70's these were used on the N slope to -80 with the outer part.
Watch ebay for a used set..

wood monger

We usually hunt in da' yoop, my buddy bought one a couple of years ago, he likes it alot. We usually walk quite aways to our hunting sites, which usually means you get pretty sweated up. He walks out dressed light. Once he cools off, he climbs into the suit and is toasty warm. I'm too cheap, I use a sleeping bag, once I get cold, I pull it on usually just up to waist is good enough. Once in a snowstorm I had it up to my neck though. Not made for moving much, but we tend to sit and wait.

clww

I have one I bought 5-7 years ago. It's been great on the really cold mornings sitting in the stand/blind. I think mine was maybe as high as $250 (???). It's basically a sleeping bag,just fits the body more snugly. There's a double-sided zipper that you zip down when you need to get your arms outside the suit. I would not recommend using it when bow hunting, as I've found it to be too bulky. By the time you get it out of the way of the bowstring area, either the time it takes or the actual movement doing so, is not in your favor. The deer may see or hear you. There are two suspenders on the inside that hold the suit up once it is unzipped to get the upper body free to take a shot, which I find works well. Another plus I have found is that you can really get quite a bit of noise reduction when clearing my throat or blowing my nose by sticking my head inside the confines of the suit. It comes with some straps to carry it like a pack on the back, which work okay, but they could be a bit better if you needed to walk longer distances to the stand. Lastly, it does have some weight to it, at five to seven pounds, I'd guess, so it's akin to carrying a second firearm. I like to take it to the stand beforehand and leave it there in a plastic bag.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Reyn

I use one for cold weather bowhunting in a climber.

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: Chuck White on September 12, 2012, 09:00:20 PM
When it's that cold and you're out there, it makes you wish and pray that you get a deer just so you can get your hands warmed up!

That's why I don't mind dressing other peoples deer when it's 20F with a 30mph wind!

As soon as I finished gutting one of my own and two others, I took my hands out and realized just how cold it was... :o
(Yeah-yeah, I know 20F is nothing for you northerners.......)

clww

That's plenty cold when you're just standing, or sitting, around.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Thank You Sponsors!