iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tractor tie down points

Started by Novascotiamill, January 05, 2018, 09:00:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Novascotiamill

Just wondering how you guys with tractors secure them when trailering. Im used to trailering a mini excavator. Do you use the 3pt hitch at all. Mine is hydrostatic drive if that makes a difference. Ive got lots of transport chain and binders,just wondering best way to rig chains without tearing up the paint on the axles.
2017 HM130
Stihl 261
2010 F150 xtr
Lots of rigid genx5 tools
1 long haired german shepherd
2017 kioti ck2610HST with FEL and forks
Grindlux band sharpener
Wicked 55" root rake grapple
O

Oliver05262

US DOT regs require four point tie down, plus any attachment (loader bucket; backhoe) also has to be tied town separately. Chain down each side of the front axle with a separate chain and binder.  Most around here use one chain over the front axle, under the axle pivot, and over the other side of the axle. Hook to the tie down on one side and bind from the other. Not quite legal, but quick and easy. The rear can be best done by cross binding from the axle housing on one side of the tractor to the tie down on the other side of the trailer. Same on the other side. You could also go through the wheel on each side to do the same thing. You really want to keep the tractor from moving ahead if you crash or stop quick, so make sure the rear is secured well. The three point hitch isn't much help; don't go there.
  Sorry about the paint. You can pad where the chains contact the tractor, but that seems to be more trouble than it's worth.Also all chains and binders, as well as tie down points must be rated for the load they are expected to hold. Ratty chains, binders, or half baked tiedowns will get you tagged out of service and fined.
Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

Gearbox

What Oliver said . Four points 45 degree angle . Up to 3500 lbs. [I think ] then weight and chain size kicks in .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Novascotiamill

Thanks for the quick replies. Guess Ill rig the chains with canvass softeners to protect the paint,hate to tear it up. Im familiar with rigging and loading of chains etc.Guess I was looking for an easy way out.
2017 HM130
Stihl 261
2010 F150 xtr
Lots of rigid genx5 tools
1 long haired german shepherd
2017 kioti ck2610HST with FEL and forks
Grindlux band sharpener
Wicked 55" root rake grapple
O

Grizzly

Quote from: Novascotiamill on January 05, 2018, 10:16:29 PM
Guess I was looking for an easy way out.

When ya find it you'll share it with us. Right?  :D  Please??   :D :D
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

mike_belben

Old fire hose makes a pretty quick chain sleeve.
Praise The Lord

starmac

4 chain points if it is over 8,000 pounds, anything under is 2, legal size chain on either.
The ONLY time I have had a DOT apologize to me was over this particular tie down law.

When I delivered new ones, we padded the chains, used just got chains.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

square1

1 chain, specifically sized for this purpose,  attached from each side of the front weight bracket to "D" rings on the trailer.  I keep saying that I'll install D-rings on the weight bracket to make this even easier but haven't yet.  One chain across the rear that goes through the "h" shaped drawbar behind a clevis pin through the legs of the  "h" to "D rings on each side of the trailer.  Binders on the driver's side front and rear.

Pull the tractor a touch past it's trailering position, attach the front chains, back up until they're taut, set the brake, shut down with tranny in low gear, attach the rear chain, install/adjust the binders until the tires bulge "slightly",and it's off to the races!

I cut the fingers off old leather work gloves and run the chains and straps through them to protect at wear points.

DOT starts taking notice at 10,000 pounds equipment weight, Mine only weighs 4,000.

teakwood

4000 pounds you can tie down with ratchet straps
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

square1

Quote from: teakwood on January 06, 2018, 06:25:06 AM
True that.
Having chains already made up up at the exact lengths needed is far quicker and easier in my experience.  All my straps heavy enough to secure the tractor are either 16 or 24 ft. long. The chains are (2) 5 footers for the front and (1) 10 footer for the back.  I don't have to deal with the "extra" length while in use or after use to store them.

chevytaHOE5674

Quote from: teakwood on January 06, 2018, 06:25:06 AM

As far as the DOT informed me you could secure a 100k lbs load with straps if you can find them with the appropriate rating.

Dakota

Dave Rinker

starmac

Our straps used to be heavier and were rated at 12,000 pounds, until the dot decided that you could onlt use them for 4,000 pounds. The manufacturers followed suit and gave us cheaper straps quickly.

You can tie down 100,000 pounds with straps, if you have enough of them.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Crusarius

Look into axle straps if you want to save the paint. its 1 more thing to deal with but then its a very short strong strap over the tractor with loops for the chain

Gearbox

Square 1 If your using 1 chain on the back wrap in the middle with a twist to keep it from slipping through the draw bar . Then 1 binder on each side . The DOT will look at everyone if you are out there enough . I have seen them stop cars with trailers for no safety chains . In MN it is $225 fine for unsecured or under secured load .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Hilltop366

If I was moving my tractor often I would be tempted to add some dedicated fastening points to the tractor where I could put the chain or load binder on quickly an easily, a grab hook, D link or a few links of chain come to mind.

Iwawoodwork

My understanding from heavy haul operator friends here in Oregon is  one chain for each tie down corner and a chain for each attachment. A tractor with loader and backhoe = 6 chains, a no attachment farm tractor would only require 4 chains. My excavator used 5 , four corners and bucket chains. As far as the three point, Never for me, I want solid tie down points. regardless of paint,  there is always touchup paint.

square1

Quote from: Gearbox on January 06, 2018, 02:22:03 PM
Square 1 If your using 1 chain on the back wrap in the middle with a twist to keep it from slipping through the draw bar . Then 1 binder on each side . The DOT will look at everyone if you are out there enough . I have seen them stop cars with trailers for no safety chains . In MN it is $225 fine for unsecured or under secured load .
I'll put that "twist" in the plan! Thanks.

"taking notice" was probably a poor choice of words.  The term "getting specific" better conveys my intent.  DOT can get pretty picky about anything.

My neighbor hauls bulldozers and backhoes and yet he is emphatic about sweeping out a few loose pieces of tree bark left over on a utility trailer after unloading firewood.  I appreciate people that have a similar concern for potential projectiles.  We've probably all lost a windshield or two to the folks at the opposite end of that spectrum.

Logger RK

I wouldn't worry to much about the paint getting scratched up to much. If it's not binded down good and slides off while hauling it,it'll need more then paint I would think.

thecfarm

Hill top is right. I use to haul the tractor from my Father's house to here,10 minutes drive. I had a clevis on the front and one on back. I use to hook the front, than get on the tractor and back up a litte. The front would squat down a little,it was tight than. Than I would do the back. This was back more than 20 years ago. This was a 40hp tractor. Not many guys to check the load around here. Or at least not right in this area.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

maple flats

Read the requirements as stated by DOT and your dept. of motor vehicles, which ever is stricter. Then it helps to have a copy of that section in your glove box, because many law enforcement officers write tickets because they mis read the law.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Corley5

I don't think twisting the chain and putting a binder on both sides will pass inspection.  Maybe on a light load :-\?  From my understanding a chain and binder is required on each corner of the load.  Just twisting the chain doesn't meet that requirement.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

square1

As teakwood correctly ponted out, my 4000 pound tractor doesn't require a chain (or binder) twisted or not.

Corley5

Has an MiDOT officer told you that ??? :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

square1

Somebody spit in your cheerios this morning?
MDOT (not MiDOT) involvement stops at permitting oversize loads. MSP & USDOT regulations apply to load securement. Those regs only require chains and binders at each corner of wheeled / tracked equipment => 10,000 pounds.
/done

Thank You Sponsors!