iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Galloping Onan-24

Started by Chuck White, April 29, 2013, 10:00:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck White

Just can't figure out what makes my Onan-24 gallop!

It seemed to run just fine through the course of the Winter while it was in the garage.  I would just start the engine off & on through the Winter just to keep it lubed, etc.

Now I was out on my 1st sawjob on Saturday and it started this new trend.

Not on low idle, just at full throttle.

Now, it will gallop when the throttle goes up in RPM's, like just before entering a log when I engage the drive belt!

Once it has to work, it runs strong and smooth, then starts galloping when I exit the far end of the log or cant!

I know there are several adjustments on the governor linkage!

Any ideas on how to fix it?  :-\

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Ocklawahaboy

I'm not familiar with a "gallop" hopefully that's because my onan 20 has never done it.  Can you describe it in terms of chunka chunka, clunk clunk or vroom vroom?  My fix-all for any engine is plugs and wires, then some sea foam.

Chuck White

"Galloping" (like a horse does) is a term we use around here!

Basically it means the engine RPM will pulsate from high to a lower rpm repeatedly!

When the blade is cutting, where it's under a load, the engine runs fine!

Also runs great when the engine is at an idle!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

hackberry jake

I bought a used 20 hp honda that came off a pressure washer and it did the same thing. Its probably from sediment in the carburator. Mine has slowly cleared up as I have been running fuel through it. I am not familiar with the onans but you may be able to take out three or four screws to get your float bowl off and clean it out real well with a toothbrush and gas. Then just put it back on and try it out.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

This is probably not it Chuck.....check the air filter along with everything else.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

beenthere

Governor feedback out of sync. -- maybe
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

NCDiesel

Quote from: Chuck White on April 29, 2013, 10:00:32 AM
Just can't figure out what makes my Onan-24 gallop!

It seemed to run just fine through the course of the Winter while it was in the garage.  I would just start the engine off & on through the Winter just to keep it lubed, etc.

Now I was out on my 1st sawjob on Saturday and it started this new trend.

...snip...

Any ideas on how to fix it?  :-\

Finally - something I can actually help on.

Hunting is caused the vast majority of the time by a lean fuel condition.  Coming off winter storage, then it is most likely water/deposition/sediment/ethanol corrosion etc in the carb .    Mix some Seafoam(or your favorite fuel system cleaner) cleaner in your fuel and see how much it improves.  In my experience, Seafoam is the best at this.  Do this and then see how it improves the condition.  Generally it improves to the point of tolerable.  Then constantly adding Seafoam over the next 12-24 hours of engine time eliminates the problem and prevents tearing down the carb.

Otherwise a minor carb cleaning/rebuild will definitely fix it.

BTW:  The behaviour you are describing is "hunting".  Governors "hunt".   Galloping is pretty descriptive too - I like it!

PS:  Don't mess with the governor.   99.9% of the time the governor is not the culprit
NCDiesel
Cooks MP-32, 2016 Ram 1500, 6K Kaufman Equip. Trailer, 1995 Bobcat 753 skidsteer 1958 Ford 861 Diesel,
Youth Conservation Corps, Clayton Ranger District, 1977.
I worked sawmills as a teenager and one fall morning I came to work and smelled walnut cutting.  I have loved sawmills ever sinc

beenthere

How much seafoam should one add? as per gallon measurement?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

dgdrls

Normal gasoline grades (including 10% and 15% ethanol blends)

1 oz. Sea Foam Motor Treatment per gallon of gasoline

Can mix up to 2 oz. per gallon of gasoline if necessary. Mixing at less than two-thirds oz. per gallon will impair the effectiveness of Sea Foam.

Ref, http://www.seafoamsales.com/recommended-mix-amounts/

I have used it in the past on some 4-wheelers that sat,  it certainly helped.

DGDrls

SAnVA

My 20hp. Onan did the same thing when I first started sawing this spring but has evened out and running pretty smooth now. I use a gas treatment called Star-tron enzyme fuel treatment. A good friend of mine is a small engine mechanic and he swears by it, he says if everyone used it that it would put him out of business! He says that if you use any gas with ethanol in it that you need to use this stuff!

Jeff

I have this problem almost every year. You have to tear the carburetor apart and give it a good cleaning even blow it out with air. If you search on in and carburetor with my username you should be able to find some topics on it because it's an old problem for me. And I reckon it will be a new problem this spring as soon as I get around to starting the mill. Mine is in on in 24p. Or p24 I don't remember.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

woodmills1

As I have said, take the top off the carb and soak up the remains with a paper towell, air is fine too if you have it.  Did this every time my oanan searched for correct RPM, and never had to get a new gasket.

Make sure non of the small spring ends have broken also
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Jeff

I'm still using the same gasket as well.  You may not get everything with a towel. Even a can of air like you use on computers will help. I also flush the bowl while the plug is out.

hamish

As mentioned before its just dirt in the carb.  What model on carb do you have on your 24hp?  Bouncing off the governor is usually dirt on the low speed side of things.
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

chet

Just went though this with da Onan on my JD lawn tractor. In my case I traced it to a lack of fuel, original vacuum fuel pump wasn't up to da task any more. I installed a new electric fuel pump, problem solved. Now it truly runs like a Deere.    8)  8)
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

sawguy21

Hold the throttle shaft with your finger, if it smooths out the governor is set incorrectly. If it stumbles and stalls (more likely) the fuel system is at fault.
From what you are telling us the idle circuit is partially plugged. It is still in play even when the throttle is wide open under no load, the high speed circuit comes in under load when the throttle opens to it's widest point. If Seafoam in the fuel does not clear it up, you will need to tear the carburetor down and thoroughly clean it. Carb and choke cleaner accompanied by compressed air works well but be careful you don't blow small parts all over the shop. An o/h kit is bloody expensive, Onan is VERY proud of their parts, but downtime is worse.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Chuck White

Thanks for all the input!

I'll get some stuff ready and see if I can get it running properly this weekend!

I still have about 1,200 bf to go, to finish up the sawjob I'm on now and Saturday afternoon, I'll bring the mill home and see what happens.

Thanks again!

hackberry jake

If yours is anything like mine, it will only act up when people are watching. Otherwise it runs smooth as silk.

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

m wood

thanks for the thread chuck.  my honda is doing the same thing and this helps me too. unfortunately, the dodge in the garage takes priority right now...maybe by this weekend I will saw again :)
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

dgdrls

hey Chuck,

If you can get some SF throw it in the mill as your sawing-out
your project.  Certainly won't hurt.

Be well

DGD

Chuck White

Wife has a bowling banquet in Potsdam today, so I'll ask her to pick up some Seafoam!

Never used it before, but now, most anything is worth a try!

Jeff

I tried the seafoam. Your problem is not going to be fixed with seafoam.  You just need to get the top off the carb and get in there and clean it. It is pretty amazing what gets past the air filters.

Quote from: Jeff on June 27, 2005, 11:19:37 AM
Well, it certainly needed it. I got lots of crud out of the thing. Once cleaned up it didnt seem to start or run any differently them before however.  I'll know more when I run it. I need to saw about 100 BF of cedar yet ASAP so that should tell me if its better.

The first picture does not have anything to do with cleaning the carb but is a pic of one of the plugs that have less then one hour on them. They both look like this.

Top of the Carb off

draining and catching some gas.

yeck!

Before mopping out, pretty cruddy.

After mopping out, very cruddy.

There was enough in there to remove it with tweezers.

All clean assembled, and ready to put the breather top on.

pineywoods

seafoam might help if the problem is gum and varnish, but it won't do a thing for a piece of sawdust in the idle jet. Apparently this problem started all at once, which again says chunk of sawdust got sucked up out of the bowl into the idle jet (the orfice is small, probably about .020) Bite the bullet and pull the top off the carb..If you are lucky, you can blast the jet clean with compressed air. I have seen them so plugged up a small drill bit was required..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Chuck White

Well, I think the top will come off of the carb once I get it home where I have all the tools and compressed air to complete the job!

Will be either Sunday or Monday!

Thanks for all the suggestions and Jeff, thanks for the pics.

hackberry jake

Quote from: pineywoods on April 30, 2013, 09:30:36 AM
seafoam might help if the problem is gum and varnish, but it won't do a thing for a piece of sawdust in the idle jet. Apparently this problem started all at once, which again says chunk of sawdust got sucked up out of the bowl into the idle jet (the orfice is small, probably about .020) Bite the bullet and pull the top off the carb..If you are lucky, you can blast the jet clean with compressed air. I have seen them so plugged up a small drill bit was required..
I have also used a drill bit on jets, but I was after more horsepower on a four wheeler.  ;D

Thank You Sponsors!