iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Potato Soup

Started by pappy19, December 31, 2015, 12:35:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pappy19

Of course, being from Idaho, I must have a good spud soup, so here it is. A great soup for chilly winter days.

Pap

Potato Soup

2 ½ lbs Baby Red Spuds
½ lb. bacon, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
¼ bunch celery, chopped
8 cups whole milk
3 cups water
4 chicken bullion cubes
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
¾ cup melted butter
¾ cup flour
¼ cup fresh parsley
1 cup whipping cream

Boil spuds for 10 minutes (5 minutes more if high altitude). Drain and set aside. Cook bacon until crisp, drain bacon and set aside. Add onions and celery to bacon grease and cook until tender. In a large pot, add milk, water, bullion, onions, celery, salt and pepper. Heat until hot but do not boil. In a small skillet, pour melted butter and add flour. Cook and stir to make a roux of light brown. Scrape into hot milk and stir until thick. Cut spuds into small cubes and add into milk, stirring. Add parsley, whipping cream and bacon. Simmer slowly for 5 minutes.

You can add 2 cans of clams if desired for clam chowder, but do not boil or clams will be chewy and tough.
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

Chuck White

That sounds like a really good recipe, but I'd leave the clams out!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

red

My parents had soup and a sandwich for lunch everyday in the winter.
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

coxy

sounds real good food1 digin_2 musteat_1 food6 don't forget the leaks  :D

47sawdust

Better put in leeks.....not leaks,someone might complain. ;D
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

coxy

Quote from: 47sawdust on January 01, 2016, 06:43:05 AM
Better put in leeks.....not leaks,someone might complain. ;D
true  :D :D

pappy19

It's a little work, but well worth it in the end.
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

ibseeker

I got a new Dutch oven for my birthday and now I know what the first meal will be. I like potato soup and the leeks sound like a good addition.
Chuck
worn out poulan, Stihl 250SC, old machete and a bag of clues with a hole in the bottom

drobertson

big tater soup eaters here as well, love any variation of it, for now we are adding a heaping of sharp cheddar and big ole scoop of sour cream as well, good stuff there maynard,,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Thank You Sponsors!