iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment

Started by Ron Scott, March 24, 2002, 02:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skeans1

Not sure there's a climbmax not too far from me and lots of the Tractionline & Summit & a Falcon out here. One thing I can see with the extra machine is you have a good anchor point vs trying to anchor to an old growth stump which I wouldn't trust with my life, also some places are changing the slope rules which will require a leveler to tether.

teakwood

No tilt base on the climbmax, i can just imagine how tired that is for the operator and machine.
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Skeans1

It doesn't make that much of a difference with a leveler or not the slopes are steeper then what they are designed to level out for. Most of these leveling machines are made to walk up a steep slope so once you're leveled out and spin on the hill you quit going up, heading down they don't tilt as far back especially with the road tiller or single bar grousers the guys add on 10" tall.

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

teakwood

I think i wouldn't have the balls/stupidity to be in such a slope
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

coxy

neat toys but way to many moving parts for this poor logger to fix  :D

dustintheblood

Quote from: teakwood on February 28, 2018, 06:31:06 PM
The firm Haas from germany takes new John Deere forestry machines and make them even better, the have some cool videos!

HAAS Traction aid cable winch JD1110E - YouTube

HAAS Traction aid rope winch JD Harvester (Front & Rear) - YouTube

A very good video but sadly in german: Haas makes every wish and tough you have a reality. This guy wanted the traction winch and bogie lifts in the front and back individually usable as he explains/shows at 4.02min  
The machines come with remote winching and remote driving
Kombiforwarder JD 1110E HAAS - YouTube
I have only two thoughts on those....
1)  Nope
2)  No way
I'm man enough to admit there's better men than me   :D :D :D :D
Case 75C, Case 1494, RangeRoad RR10T36, Igland 4001, Hardy 1400ST, WM LT40HD, WM Edger, ICS DH Kiln

GRANITEstateMP

Me thinks those trees can stay, I'll cut somewhere else  :o
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

coxy

looks like the hills we have here except for we have ledge rock not to bad i just don't trust cable that much if it broke what a ride he would have  :D :D 8)

Ron Scott

The Ponsse Gazelle is the forwarder of choice for this operator doing a Manistee National Forest red pine thinning, March 2018.

~Ron

Firewoodjoe

Ron I seen that. It looks like there clearing all the pine out of the hardwood. Looked like a small strip on the south side of 55.

coxy

ok wanted to ask this before but keep forgetting   after the thinning like in the second pic  the remaining trees are/look far apart what keeps them from blowing over wouldn't it be better to just clear cut it  or do guys go back if they blow over and clean them up  one other thing how many knots are in your bud whorl we have 5 and they wont buy them for poles i think only 3 is aloud but could be wrong     

barbender

I'd like to try one of those smaller forwarders, all I've gotten to run are Buffalo and BuffaloKing models.
  Coxy, that pine looks excessively thinned, we don't take them down that far for the reason you stated.
Too many irons in the fire

chevytaHOE5674

Barbender once your used to the Buffalo its painful to go back to the little machines. The small crane won't lift what you want it to, the bunk fills in a hurry, the small tires ride rougher and you get hung up easier, and the little 4cyl motor is wound like a cheap watch getting a full load moving uphill. Hahaha 

Skeans1

Looks like a thin we did for one of the local governments 100 fir an acre and if there was an oak clear out a 50' to 75' circle around them this included the fun of making snags with down wood piles.

barbender

Chevy, we used to have an Elk model. That machine was almost identical in size to a Buffalo, but with a 4 cylinder engine. I never ran it, but by all accounts it was pathetic. Not only did the engine lack power, the drive system was really weak. It could not climb hills at all, I guess. This new BuffaloKing really impresses me with it's hill climbing ability, I can climb hills that the processors spin out on😊 Anyhow, I just wanted to try one of those dinky machines for the fun of it, I'm not giving back the big machine😁
Too many irons in the fire

Ron Scott

Firewoodjoe,

Yes, the job is just east of the Caberfae Ski Area road and south of H-55. The heavy thinning is in the small stretch along the highway road right-of-way probably as designated by MDOT and the USFS landscape architect. The timber access road angles into the red pine stand and a block of National Forest timber to the south.
~Ron

Firewoodjoe

To you guys that think the pine will blow over. Yes it will if not done properly. Most pine is thinned 3 or more times over many years. The root system recoups and it's generally fine. Then they used to cut telephone poles from the remainder final cut but I don't see many poles cut like I used to.

gaproperty

I am a small scale guy.  I use chain saws, a 47 hp kubota  tractor, logging winch and trailer. I leave about 50 percent of the forest standing and have great luck with keeping wildlife in the area.  Here is video of some crazy pictures I have taken.  

https://youtu.be/a43NQ2dJdBQ

Ray
lostcaper.com
youtube.com/c/LostCaper

gaproperty

I used skidders and forwards but I am just doing small scale logging for myself with a kubota tractor and logging winch, logging trailer. It's not to bad if the going is good but man I would love to have one of those smaller track machines.  This is my smaller operations.

https://youtu.be/uhx0dGFBpBM
Ray
lostcaper.com
youtube.com/c/LostCaper

pinefeller

so, how bad do you want a small tracked machine.....
for those who say "it cannot be done!" please do so quietly so as not to disturb those who are doing it.

Skeans1

And how small are you talking? A mini? A 490/120 size machine? 45k lbs weight?

pinefeller

for those who say "it cannot be done!" please do so quietly so as not to disturb those who are doing it.

quilbilly

Hermann has moved to %100 shovel logging now using madill 3800's
a man is strongest on his knees

lopet

Quote from: pinefeller on April 15, 2018, 10:52:05 AM
how about 5k lollollol

I can see now how you can flip that thing.
Btw we old timer would like to listen to the sound of a diesel not such terrible music. smiley_thumbsdown smiley_thumbsdown :D :D
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

Thank You Sponsors!