iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Framer Guild visitor center raising event

Started by Jim_Rogers, June 19, 2017, 10:45:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Rogers

This past Saturday, I traveled with a friend from Boston to a Timber Framer Guild frame raising event in NY state. It was a long drive and we had to be there early for the safety meeting.

We did get there early and had a chance to meet up with JimDad07 whom I invited to the event:

Soon afterwards, we had a standard safety meeting. We all had to wear hard hats all the time on the site, even visitors, such as the "Mayor" who did stop by to visit the project.

Next we stood up a pair of "shear legs" that is a temporary set of timbers that are very strong and movable. They told us that each bent weighed 3000 lbs and that the rigging would five times stronger than the load.

Here is the frame with almost all the bents up and complete. The crane showed up at noontime and was used to lift the plates, and rafters.

I brought a flag and added it to the top of a pair of rafters while they were on the stack of rafters and it flew up quite nicely:

And just for fun:

When I get a good picture of the finished frame, I'll share it with you.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

submarinesailor

Jim,

Is that Gregg Mullen (brown hard hat and blue shirt) in the 4th picture?

Bruce

Dave Shepard

It does look like him, i think that brown hard hat might be a trademark of his. . And it's Grigg. :)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

jimdad07

That was him.  That man knows his rigging.  It was a great event and a good chance to talk to some professional framers.  Even saw a joint for my top plates that will solve a dilemma for me on my frame.  Real good to meet up with Jim and pick up some more information.
Hudson HFE 30 Homesteader bandmill w/28' of track
Couple tractors, a bunch of chainsaws and not enough time to use them.

Jim_Rogers

Yes, it was Grigg, senior and junior were there, also. They brought the shear legs, and rigging.

Jim Rogers

51cub

Thank you for the pictures! It's an amazing sight. The kind of thing I want to see in person sometime
I believe in the hereafter, because every time I take two steps into the tool crib to get something I wonder " what did I come in here after"

If nothing else I'm always a good last resort or the guy to hold up as a bad example

Jim_Rogers

<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/222923099" width="640" height="338" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>
<p>Schuylerville NY Timber Frame Guild Community Building Project from Carolina Timberworks on Vimeo.</p>

Thank You Sponsors!