iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fireplace Questions

Started by DouginUtah, January 01, 2011, 03:34:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DouginUtah

We have a gas fireplace which doesn't work. I can get the pilot light to light but when I turn the wall switch on to heat nothing happens. The key to turn the gas on says HeatMaster but that is all the manufacturer's info I can find.

Have you ever heard of a fireplace that sucks air in at the top and blows the heated air out the bottom? That seems backwards to me. Just wondering if that is normal--this is the first fireplace I have ever dealt with.
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

D Hagens

After you get the pilot to light do you release it and turn it all the way to the left? Cause if you don't the wall switch will do nothing. :)

DouginUtah

Quote from: D Hagens on January 01, 2011, 03:42:20 PM

After you get the pilot to light do you release it and turn it all the way to the left? Cause if you don't the wall switch will do nothing. :)

Yes, I release it and turn it as far as possible after the pilot has been lit for about a minute, and the pilot stays on.
-Doug

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

D Hagens

K your next step is to look to your mid to lower left, you will see two wires. Out my way they are blue and white. I'm pretty sure yours will be the same, either way they are the only two wires there.
Disconnect them and you will have full heat, no control at all. Now you know it's not on that end.
Pull the cover off your thermostat box, is it the old style bubble control or electronic?
If it's a bubble move it till it connects and all should work fine. :)

D Hagens

P.S.
if you have a separate rheostat on the fireplace it self make sure that's cranked all the way to the left.
Keep in mind, it's gas, very simple workings and not much to it.

DouginUtah

I appreciate the replies. but I think I will have to get some pictures. As far as I know there is no thermostat and no rheostat. There is a red push switch which "snaps" when pushed to light the pilot with a rocker switch underneath it.

This fireplace is in the house my daughter is living in so I don't get down there but every week or two.

Give me some time to get better prepared with pictures.
-Doug

---

Thank You Sponsors!