iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

3 phase generator...Help needed

Started by Wisconsintimber, November 10, 2016, 02:17:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wisconsintimber

I am working on a generator build/rebuild and am seeking wisdom.  I recently picked up an old(1970s-80s) military 60kw three phase generator head unit and control panel. The diesel was shot and the owner had disassembled the unit.  There is no name on it but its a 12 wire Y wound.  It has the main AC output windings plus in the back a set of DC "exciter" windings with six diodes(rectifier).  Two wires coming from those windings are marked F1 and F2 and go to an external voltage regulator...(basler electric model vr63-4)

I now have the unit coupled to a v8 but it won't make power.  I had to replace 2 of the diodes because the wires were loose in them and I tested the others for continuity(each one allows current only one direction).  I tested and got 23 ohms between f1 and f2 which sounds normal.  The basler regulator is labeled 190-240 vac input and 63 vdc output.  On their website, basler says that you may need to flash the f1-f2 wires so I did that with 12v with no improvement.  It also said that f1 to f2 should put out over 6v while running disconnected from the regulator, it doesn't really put out any voltage...
I did feed the f1 and f2 wires 24vdc while it was running and it did put out ac on my voltmeter, the volt gauge in the panel did not show it though?

Just looking for help here, ways to test the generator, ideas to try.
Thanks

Kbeitz

Look for a high powered magnet and stick it on the side of the gen-set when trying it out.
It it works you might just be able to leave it there if it does not mess with your voltage.
This magnet will work as your exciter.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!