iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

first power feeder

Started by hackberry jake, July 15, 2014, 01:58:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackberry jake

I probably don't do enough woodwork to justify a power feeder YET, but they are also safer, so I sprung for a new lobo single horse/single phase/three wheel feeder. I just put it together this morning and haven't got a chance to wire it up yet.

it wouldve helped with my little push stick incident a while back.

I don't guess I've ever even seen one run before other than youtube. Any pointers?
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

petefrom bearswamp

Just finished running 500 ft of 1x14 shiplap on my ancient Powermatic w/ equally ancient Forest City power feed.
I dont have any pointers other than to make sure everything is good and tight before you start feeding as if the pivot is loose you can cut into the drive wheels pronto.
Dont ask how I know.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Bill Gaiche

Jake your getting a lot of toys for the size of that shop. Soon you will be needing to add on. bg

hackberry jake

https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Peter Drouin

Tools are good, I never had one I could not make money with.
Good luck hackberry jake, And get all the tools you can. 8)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

tule peak timber

Pointer: You will love the powerfeeder once you learn how to use it. Ditch the stock wheels and call Western Roller for a set of urethane wheels to start with right off the bat . Develop experience with their "tires 'and save both your hands and  time while producing a better product. Rob
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Don_Papenburg

How are the urethane better than the rubber or stock tires? 
I have gripping issues with my grizzly power feeder ,basicly I use it as a helper only and I do most of the feed work.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

tule peak timber

Don,The stock tires tend to "glaze" or harden on their surface and will slip more and more . So to correct for slipping one might apply more pressure that in turn can distort the shape of the board traveling under the tires. As the board  passes the cutterhead , comes out from under the tires , the inherent "shape' of the board returns. In some cases this is no big deal , in other cases it is. With specialized tires, less pressure is required, less board distortion , and possibly higher speeds are attainable. The guy that owns Western Roller helps guide his customers in the right selection . In my case I both edge shape and joint in one pass at pretty high speeds in any one machine to save time. I think I bought about 30 sets from him last year in the blue color urethane and love their performance so far .Rob

Don_Papenburg

Thanks Rob, do you have a no. for western Roller?
I think that is part of my problem I have the feeder set with so much down pressure that it makes too much friction on the table so I have to force feed the board .  Only thing it was helping me keep the boards in register with the cutters.
Don
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

tule peak timber

Hi Don , They are nice , knowledgeable folks :  Western Roller , 63393 Nels Anderson Rd, Bend, OR 97701
(541) 382-5643

Thank You Sponsors!