iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

couple pics... post what your currently cutting

Started by RunningRoot, January 27, 2015, 08:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken

Quote from: barbender on January 07, 2018, 09:43:42 AM
I always count it a privilege when I get to work in one of our mature pine stands.

Although I haven't gotten to work in a stand that pretty we are in some pretty nice spruce right now.  Can you spot the harvester in the back just giving it a light thinning  ;)

Walked in to where I parked my dozer back in the fall.  She looks a little lonely so I fired her up and got her ready to do some work pushing snow around on our current job

Lots of toys for working in the bush

Ron Scott

~Ron

barbender

No need to be envious, Ken- it's back to black spruce for me as well😊

Too many irons in the fire

barbender

BTW, I hate having to dig a machine out of the snow like your dozer😊

starmac

How big is your black spruce, and what is the market that uses them?
The black spruce is pretty scraggly, most don't  even use it for firewood.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

mike_belben

Ken is that the factory rops on your komatsu or did you add the gussets? 
Praise The Lord

barbender

Most of our black spruce goes for pulp (magazine pulp) on occasion we'll get in an exceptional stand that I'll sort stud bolts out of (I've seen them get to 16" in some areas).

coxy

barbender at least you have the right color saw on the front of your buggy  ;D :-X

barbender

Why thank you, but to be honest, I've been thinking about trying me a Stihl. I'm not much of a brand loyalist😊

1270d

Here's a nice black spruce.   The biggest I've ever come across was almost 20 inches but I'll take a steady diet of these any day.   About 75 feet tall.

Skeans1

You guys have small wood, the job I'm moving off same age has 25ft in height our thinning wood is as big or bigger then your guys clear cut size. How old is it?

barbender

Black Spruce varies a lot depending on the site, on poor sites it might be 100 years old and 4" diameter. 1270, that looks like nice stuff- what we're cutting now is probably only 3-4 sticks.

Ken

Quote from: mike_belben on January 13, 2018, 09:08:26 AM

That dozer is original.  It is a 1990 that I bought from the first owner.  About 4500 hours on it.  Quite small but works like a charm and will start on the coldest of winter days

Quote from: 1270d on January 13, 2018, 10:25:36 PM
Here's a nice black spruce.   The biggest I've ever come across was almost 20 inches but I'll take a steady diet of these any day.   About 75 feet tall.

That is a dandy black spruce.  We have a30+ acre stand of pure black spruce to move into next week.  Hope there are some patches like that as it is easy to process.  Much easier than our red spruce to limb

g_man

Wow - with those CTL machines your dimensions are measured down to a 1/32 inch resolution. That amazes me. I get confused with a stick graduated finer than 1/4"  :D  Some nice CTL videos posted too - Thanks

gg

mf40diesel

Not a bad little turn for the 225. Working a small view lot, saving the firewood for me, the poplar is going to be sent down the road.
John Deere 5055e, mfwd. Farmi JL306 Winch. Timberjack 225 Skidder. Splitfire splitter & Stihl saws.

mf40diesel

Here she is after several hours of pulling.  Love that old machine.

This was on Thursday of last week.  Before Mother Nature came in and took away most of the snow. Had about 2' on the ground, which kept my skid road nice, although it was a pain in the neck to move around cutting. 

Now we have icy patches of super hard boiler plate,  was hoping to go ice fishing today, cant get the sleds to the lake.
John Deere 5055e, mfwd. Farmi JL306 Winch. Timberjack 225 Skidder. Splitfire splitter & Stihl saws.

1270d

Quote from: g_man on January 14, 2018, 11:25:48 AM
Wow - with those CTL machines your dimensions are measured down to a 1/32 inch resolution. That amazes me. I get confused with a stick graduated finer than 1/4"  :D  Some nice CTL videos posted too - Thanks

gg

The measuring systems are not that accurate!   They are pretty reliable in consistent wood to under 1/4 inch but 1/32" is pretty optimistic.   I think they just put that setting in to make us feel good.

g_man

Gotcha - like a truck scale that weighs with 20 lb graduations but is lucky to be accurate within 500 lbs. Just makes it look accurate.

Nice pictures mf40. The Jack looks good in the snow. Same weather here. Wallowing in 2' of snow and way cold last 3 weeks. Then shoots up to 52 degrees and rains 2" Friday and back down to 10 below today. The woods are like concrete now.

gg

1270d

The sensors are capable and I'm sure they could measure to the 32nd if we were working with steel pipe.  Of course the wood has so many variables with bark thickness, wood density, knots and limb stubs etc.

mike_belben

Quote from: barbender on January 13, 2018, 08:41:26 PM
Why thank you, but to be honest, I've been thinking about trying me a Stihl. I'm not much of a brand loyalist😊

If youre the type to rebuild your own saw, stay orange trust me. 
Praise The Lord

coxy

buzywoodliff

A few posts back, there was some talk of starting diesels when it's cold out.... we have a couple of old allis chalmers that say to go full throttle until first fire.  It does help and now I know why !!    Love this forum, learn something everyday. 

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

mike_belben

Quote from: Ken on January 14, 2018, 06:16:39 AM
Quote from: mike_belben on January 13, 2018, 09:08:26 AM

That dozer is original.  It is a 1990 that I bought from the first owner.  About 4500 hours on it.  Quite small but works like a charm and will start on the coldest of winter days

Nice, is it a d31P?   -18 or -20?

Mine is a D31p-18 and the tin and rops mounts in back are identical but your cab has more gussets.  I cant really tell if the tube layout is the same but my sweeps are different.  I think mine is an 88 or 89. Hours unknown but its probably alot judging by the wear in the control linkages.  Does start really well even without the grid heater hooked up.    Have you had any major issues?
Praise The Lord

Ken

Quote from: mike_belben on January 15, 2018, 11:38:04 AM

Nice, is it a d31P?   -18 or -20?

Mine is a D31p-18 and the tin and rops mounts in back are identical but your cab has more gussets.  I cant really tell if the tube layout is the same but my sweeps are different.  I think mine is an 88 or 89. Hours unknown but its probably alot judging by the wear in the control linkages.  Does start really well even without the grid heater hooked up.    Have you had any major issues?
[/quote]

Mine is a D-37E.  No issues at all with machine.  When I bought it several years ago it had just had its first undercarriage work which included new everything.  Works like a charm but a cab would be nice

Thank You Sponsors!