iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

planer question

Started by jmouton, August 21, 2013, 08:39:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmouton

so   ,  my  sawmill partner  bought  a powermatic 221  20 inch planer  and my question is  ,,we are not sure of the voltage of the motor  it says  220/ 460  I think , and on the side  it has low voltage  chart and high voltage  chart  and its wired  to the low voltage,  it came out of a school  and has no rust and is in great shape and we got it cheap,  so is it possible to have a motor that is single phase 220  and also  460 three  phase , and you just change around the wires, we would like to get it working soon  so we can start planing boards  for customers, oh  and we dont have three phase  only 220  so  and  ideas   folks.

thanks    jim
lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

hackberry jake

Thats a three phase motor. Either 220 or 460 three phase. No matter how you wire it it wont be single phase. Check surplus center for a replacement motor or look into getting a phase converter.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

mikeb1079

that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

5quarter

Go with a phase converter. once you can run 3 plase, your tool possibilities really open up. That Powermatic is a real workhorse btw. great find. I am in the hunt for another planer myself. hope some of your good fortune is heading my way... ;) ;D
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

kelLOGg

It is easy to make a phase converter with a 2nd 3 ph motor as an idler and suitably chosen capacitors. Google it the web for details. You can buy them in kit form rather cheaply from WNY Phase Converter.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

jmouton

thanks for the info  everybody   

jim
lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

jmouton

so another  question  ,   what  kind of  phase converter    ,,,   rotary  or  static  which one is better  and cheaper  , i dont want to build one  , rather buy one  , 

thanks  jim

mikeb1079

my understanding is that a rotary converter will be "better".  i built a crude rotary converter with an old 5hp motor i picked up cheap.  they're fairly simple and inexpensive but only if you have access to the parts (idler motor, disconnects, capacitors).  i haven't tried a static converter so i can't comment but i'd bet those would work well also.  i used a lawnmower cord to pull start my idler motor and then quick throw the disconnect switch, if i wanted to reverse the direction of my conveyor belt (which was the 3 phase motor) i just had to reverse my pull direction on the idler motor!  it was pretty cool actually.... :) :)
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

hackberry jake

https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

jmouton

thanks hackberry jake  that is an awesome link ,alot to look  at , maybe  just get a new  motor instead of convertor  ,,will have to think about it 

jim

clay3

doesn't that planer have 2 motors, one for the head and one for the feed?  if so you would be a lot better off with a phase converter than changing both motors out and you would also need to have a rotary phase converter because a static converter will not work on a machine with more than one motor.  What size motor do you have?

shortlogger

The static phases converters are not a efficient as rotory converters I think you only get like 70% of Your hp with one but they are cheaper
1 Corinthians 3:7 So then neither he who plants is anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase . "NKJV"

bandmiller2

Jim,theirs volumes written on the net about building your own rotary converter, its not hard.I built one 40 years ago to run my milling machine not one minutes trouble with it. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

JByrd

I have a 15" Powermatic planer with 5 HP 3 phase motor and a static phase converter.  I am amazed at how well it works.  I understand that a phase converter will not provide full horsepower, but I have (accidently) taken off nearly 1/4 inch from a wide ash board and it never slowed down.  I believe these old motors are rated at their max continuous load, so a 5 HP powermatic has tremendous capacity even if it is limited by a phase converter.   The new new tabletop planers seem to be rated at instantaneous peak power, I have used a couple that could barely take off 1/16 of an inch.
JByrd

woodhick

Pretty sure the 221 has two motors as listed above.  One for the cutterhead and one for the feed mounted in the base of the machine. I know my 225 (24") does.   If it does it would be better to build a converter than change motors.  Not hard to build and lots of info on the web.  Are you going to be planing dry lumber or green?  These planers will not work well on green lumber.
James.
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

Satamax

Another solution, frequency inverters.  they exist single to three phase in 5 HP. and are usualy cheap on ebay.   
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313&_nkw=frequency+inverter&_sacat=0&_from=R40
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

JByrd

Good point on the inverters.  Variable Frequency Drives (VFD) are the modern solid-state replacement for phase converters.  I have one on an antique lathe with a 1 HP 3 Phase motor and it works great, with the benefit of being completely variable speed.  Variable speed might be useless on a planer,  but you can easily lock it to 60 Hz or find one that only does 60 Hz.
JByrd

Andy B.

If the planer does indeed have two motors, you'd need two VFDs.  A VFD can only power a single motor at a time.  A rotary phase converter can power as many motors as the electric supply will allow (until the fuse blows or breaker trips in your electrical panel).

They really aren't too difficult to build.  The most expensive part will be the 3 phase idler motor you need.  A rotary phase converter is just a static phase converter with a spare 3 phase idler motor that you turn on whenever you use the static converter.  The idler motor is used to smooth out the third phase that the static converter creates.

Newer equipment with any electronics won't be happy with a static phase converter, but older equipment like the planer won't be affected.  As pointed out, it will just be less efficient and use slightly more power.

Andy B.

jmouton

hmmmm   lots of info  to ponder  , i did  forget about the second motor  , so  i was wondering if  it is three phase also  , so if it is  not sure what to do  ,lots of thinking to figure out 

thanks  everybody        jim

Thank You Sponsors!