iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

two stroke oil

Started by Button, April 05, 2006, 06:34:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocky_J

The only way I can imagine the prepackaged mix gas being viable is if the road taxes for gasoline were exceedingly high and the mixed fuel wasn't subject to road taxes. The savings in taxes might be enough to counter the necessary markup for mixing and packaging gas in ready-to-use containers for retail sale. If the price was exceedingly high, nobody would buy it.

I don't think it would work in the USA yet, I'd guess about $2-$3 of the price per gallon would be to cover packaging and transportation. Currently road taxes are about 60 cents per gallon (federal and state) here in Florida. This premix fuel probably couldn't sell for less than $5 per gallon here and I don't think you'd have many buyers at that price. If the USA ever jacks up fuel taxes like most European countries have, then something like this might become viable.

alex_30

i found a link in english for you. it is the aspen mix which is very simular with the stihl mixfuel.

http://international.husqvarna.com/?url=%2Fnode2178%2Easp%3Fpid%3D38%26cid%3D205%26frames%3Dfalse

this two stroke fuel is distributet by husquarna, but manufactured by aspen. i dont know who is the manufacturer for the stihl fuel, but it is also not manufactured by stihl (just labeld and distributed by stihl).

i would apreciate if you could tell me whether this or simular "healthy" fuel is available in the us.
best regards

alex_30

dolmar 172a, ms 170, ms 260 and ms 460

alex_30

i totaly forgot to give you a price indication: aspen is 2,10 euro/l and sthil is 2,2 - 2,5 euro/l.
here in germany one liter of fuel is about 1,60 euro at the moment.

best regards

alex_30

dolmar 172a, ms 170, ms 260 and ms 460

sawguy21

At those prices, I will buy the oil and mix my own. Seems like too big a difference to justify.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

rebocardo

It might work at Home Depot where they sell chain saw oil (for the chain) in pint bottles. I was like, where did the gallon bottles go? Guess they make more profit this way.

16:1 mix

Quote from: sawguy21 on April 14, 2006, 12:26:13 PM
At those prices, I will buy the oil and mix my own. Seems like too big a difference to justify.

I'd be willing to pay what ever is needed to be able to mix my own fuel+oil so I would be certain of what I'm putting in my saw.  I also have a pickup truck that I've done the oil changes on since it was new in 1990....for the same reason. 

8)

Bill

Without meaning to confuse the issue even more . . .

Are they possibly selling the premix fuel/oil to avoid problems with ethanol being mixed into regular/premium gas at your local service station ?

. . .  or does it not matter if they blend ethanol into regular/premium gas ?

???

weimedog

I use the Mobil One MX-2T when I can find it. Its worked well for my motorcycles and saws. I have both vintage air cooled motorcycles and new water cooled as well. Since the vintage ones are hard to find parts for.....oil is a very important decision. (I ride 1979 KTM 420's for the vintage flair)

No. 2 on my list is the Echo brand two stroke oil. I have been able to run that through the motorcycles as well with good results.

No. 3 on my list is BelRay H1R....another excellent motorcycle oil that works well in both air and water cooled applications.

The Mobil One and BelRay are synthetic's and a bit more expensive. Tearing down a motor after a couple of years will sell you on either one.

Since I use my two stroke mixes in BOTH saws and Motorcycles, I probably push the design limits more than some. My Old vintage saws also are hard to find parts for so as with the vintage motorcycles, oil is an important choise. I like imperical data vs. hypathetical. My stuff is still running. My old McCulloch 797 is used for milling..thats got to be an extreem test. Its cylinder is free of any visible distress. I've milled close to 3500 board ft. with it.
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Qweaver

Is there a source to buy high quality oil for air cooled 2 strokes in gallon or at least quart containers?  I hate buying those little bottles at inflated prices.
Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

rebocardo

> at least quart containers

Havoline comes in quart containers. The Stihl oil does too, cost about $22 at my local dealer.

nicole

OK! I'll use the type of oil you suggest. However if I put the mixed fuel into a:
     McCullock 440 How many cc or ci would I have? I am about to rebuild a MAC 440 and am hoping it is big enough to use on an Alaskan type sawmill with a 4' bar.
     The tree I have is just less than 3'6".

As per 2cycle oil, I use a high quality oil that meets rating. On my Homelite purchased in, I think 72 I used what they suggested SAE 30.
     Weimedg, I see you have a Alaskan on your page.
     Look forward to hearing.  thanks  Nicole

Dale Hatfield

Echo Power Blend Comes In A Gallon Jug . No Idea of the price  gift from the Echo  Folks. Makes Fifty Gallon of mixed fuel.
What you want to look for on your mix oil Jugs is a rating
ISO L -EDG
JASO FC

Why for reasons I cant back up at this point misplaced my Referance Material.
The just of it is that this new rating will match todays higher reving saws . Im pretty certain that it also takes care of new fuel blends.
Echo , Husky , Redmax, Johny reds are the few mix oils that i know fer sure have this rating.
Dale Hatfield
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

Qweaver

But where can I buy it?  The biggest container that I can find here in Hickville, WV is 16 oz. and that is from Tractor supply and it has absolutely no rating info on the container at all.  Surely the people that are using chainsaws on a daily basis are not buying 4 oz bottles.  I can't believe that this is this hard!

Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Dale Hatfield

SOUTHERN STATE BUCKHANNON
     60 SPRING STREET
     BUCKHANNON,      WV      26201     
     (304)478-1356

L & T FARM EQUIPMENT
     RT. 3, BOX 153
     BUCKHANNON,      WV      26201     
     (304)472-1710

Looks Like you have 2 Echo Dealers  close to ya on route 33.  give ema shout.
Dale

Chainsaw Carver

Qweaver

Wow!  Thanks Dale!   How did you do that?   Buckhannon is about 30 miles round trip($6 in gas) but worth it if I can get gallon containers. 

Quinton

james

you can buy mixed gas in the us at ultralite fields thats what they burn but its probbly avation grade fuel and oil id think it would be real expensive
james

Dale Hatfield

James
you might be on to something their. I borrowed a saw at a training a few years ago. Seams to me that he said it had airplane fuel in it of some sorts.
I asked cause of the smell.
But he said he used that cause his saws sat for long period of time . That the fuel wouldn't go bad.
But I wouldn't run out and do such   without   trusting Knowledge of what i was putting in my saw.

Dale
Chainsaw Carver

StihlDoc

STIHL offers 1 gallon containers of mix oil in the U.S. The larger container sizes are also available for the new STIHL HP Ultra; a full synthetic, biodegradable mix oil.

STIHL Moto-mix pre-mixed fuel is not available in the USA. Not feasible to sell due to restrictions and warehouse reqirements with fire marshall ordinances, transporatation and insurance restrictions.

1953greg

i use the Mobile Racing 2T and Stihl orange bottle blended 50/50 and mixed 40:1.  virtually smokeless and perhaps the best of both worlds!  works for me.  why change??

good day   1953greg
good day    greg

Thank You Sponsors!