iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Concoction for treating oak

Started by caveman, October 05, 2012, 09:29:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caveman

A few weeks ago, JMoore and I sawed some water oak 2x6's that I intend to use to construct a hog pen for my daughters' show hogs.  It will be used under roof but it will need to resist rot and bugs (things decay quickly in central Florida). I was thinking about mixing 1 part boiled linseed oil, 7 parts diesel, 3 parts roofing tar, and 4 parts motor oil in a drum and standing the boards up in the drum and let them absorb the mixture and then coat the surface.  Would this discourage insects from getting in the boards and should it repel enough moisture to prevent it from rotting?  Thanks for your advice.  Caveman
Caveman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Sounds like all that would repel anything.  :D If it works you should bottle, get a patent and sell that stuff.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

hackberry jake

Be sure not to use used motor oil. The EPA has some pretty strict fines for that kinda stuff. Petroleum by-product is what I use. It's like used motor oil but it sounds cleaner  8)
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

francismilker

Quote from: hackberry jake on October 05, 2012, 10:59:14 PM
Be sure not to use used motor oil. The EPA has some pretty strict fines for that kinda stuff. Petroleum by-product is what I use. It's like used motor oil but it sounds cleaner  8)

That's what I like to call it as well hackberry!
"whatsoever thy hands finds to do; do it with thy might" Ecc. 9:10

WM LT-10supergo, MF-271 w/FEL, Honda 500 Foreman, Husq 550, Stihl 026, and lots of baling wire!

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

I seem to recall that some hogs on our farm tried to eat some fencing.  Be careful with any treating mixture as it may create damage for you, your hogs, and/or the environment.  Further it may not last very long.  As mentioned, the EPA has strict controls due to the risk of environmental damage.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

I neglected to mention that your county extension office will have guidelines for fencing (plans, species, etc.) and for safe, legal preservative chemicals
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Woodchuck53

Be careful any run off carried to your neighbors ponds don't rainbow.

And burnt motor oil stinks.
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

Tree Feller

Creosote is still for sale to trades persons and farmers. That's what I would use for a wood preservative. It's nasty, it will blister your skin and it's a carcinogen (isn't everything) but it works.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

mikeb1079

there's an article in one of my homebuilding books where i fella is installing wood siding.  what he does is make a trough out of 2x8's lined with plastic to submerge the siding boards in.  that way the whole board can be dunked at once.  he uses a 5 gallon container of thompsons water seal, soaks board for a few minutes and then sets it drip dry over the trough on 16 penny nails (so that the excess drips back into the trough).  thought it was a cool idea and may be practical in your situation.   :)
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

Woodchuck53

Hey Mike1079, I actually made a trough from a metal 55 gal. barrel cut lengthwise and welded the rim(thicker) were they butted up. Cut the to halves out and had a nice vat for my crude oil soaking of fence boards. Like you said suspended to drip the rest back in and just rotate the planks from time to time. Worked well when my preservative was $25.00 a drum. Not so much now.
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

caveman

Thanks to all of you for the suggestions.  Most of the pen will be welded using 1" galvanized pipe and hog panels.  The wood will serve mainly as roof purlins.  PT 4x4's will be used for posts.  I have read about folks using using petroleum based products for their trailer decks and thought this concoction may discourage bees and ants.  Caveman 
Caveman

millstead

Tree feller where can you buy creosote

Tree Feller

Quote from: millstead on October 07, 2012, 02:21:34 PM
Tree feller where can you buy creosote

You can get it at some farm suppliers but you have to be a licensed applicator to buy it. It's considered a pesticide in the USA.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

dboyt

Any way you could use the water oak for another project and mill up a more durable wood for the pens?  I believe you might have some cypress down your way.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

caveman

I am storing my cypress in a pond until I am ready to enclose a back porch area on the back of my house.  I hate to waste it on a hog pen.  The wood, used in the hog pen, should be fairly well protected by the roof. There is still quite a bit of cypress around but most of it is on the small side.  There is an area along the Withlacoochee River that I fish in from time to time that the old, slowly rotting buttresses of ancient cypress trees remain.  They have notches from where spring boards were once placed when the loggers sawed them with crosscut saws almost 100 years ago.
Caveman
Caveman

Magicman

Sadly, "new growth" Cypress is not very weather resistant mostly because there is very little heartwood.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Cypressstump

Quote from: caveman on October 09, 2012, 09:17:52 PM
  There is an area along the Withlacoochee River that I fish in from time to time that the old, slowly rotting buttresses of ancient cypress trees remain.  They have notches from where spring boards were once placed when the loggers sawed them with crosscut saws almost 100 years ago.
Caveman

When a feller stops and takes notice of such ancient remains, it sure makes a man wonder, just what those old growths must have looked like back during the day. On my swamp property I have a still living virgin cypress thats close to 30 feet dbh. The top is gone, mostly hollow I would think, the lowest limbs are 70 feet above water level, and the tree is still over 120 feet tall.Some of the knees are shoulder high and 3-4 feet diameter. About a 100 feet away, I climbed a dead fall to about 20 feet above waterline, there were reminents of stumps with the notches scattered around roughly 150 feet apart at the closest. What a sight that must have been !
Stump

Timberking 1220 25hp w/extensions -hard mounted
Case 586E 6k forklift
2001 F350 4X4,Arctic Cat 500 4 wheeler wagon hauler
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

Thank You Sponsors!