iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hickory slabs

Started by francismilker, December 25, 2012, 11:53:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

Dummy me, I know that, liability.  ::)   But they got to see how it was done.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

scully

all my kitchen cabinates are hickory ! Absolutely beutiful stuff ! Nots are good for wild figure etc. IMHO I also would like to build a full size butchers block from hickory ! They go for huge $ in retail stores . I have used it in some wood working projcts and have enjoyed the beuty of it alot !
I bleed orange  .

WDH

It is very pretty.  Pecan is even more pretty. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

learner

Well I'm not a chemist so I have to ask.  How does Disodium Octaborate Tetrahydrate differ from Sodium Tetraborate(otherwise known as 20 mule team Borax)?
WoodMizer LT40 Super Hydraulic, MF-300 FEL, Nissan Enduro 60 forklift, 2 Monkey Wards Power Kraft Radial arm saws, Rockwell series 22-200 planer, Prentiss 210 loader

WDH

I bet that it is the same.  The di-sodium and Octa-borate are two and eight.  The sodium tetra is 1 in four.  Two in eight is the same as one in four.  My logic may be flawed, though.  Maybe a chemist will happen by.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Wick

Chemistry, line 1
Chemistry department, line 1 please !!  :-\
Timber Harvester 30HT25

learner

:D Thanks for trying Wick.
WoodMizer LT40 Super Hydraulic, MF-300 FEL, Nissan Enduro 60 forklift, 2 Monkey Wards Power Kraft Radial arm saws, Rockwell series 22-200 planer, Prentiss 210 loader

WDH

Check out this link:

http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/borictech.pdf

Looks like sodium tetraborate should work just fine.

Ocklawahaboy

Quote from: Wick on January 03, 2013, 07:12:33 AM
Chemistry, line 1
Chemistry department, line 1 please !!  :-\
This thread is a little old but a guy who took college level organic chemistry 2 Just for the fun of it, can't resist.  When you are looking at chemical formulas of a soluble substance, you speak of molarity.  Simply stated, the amount of something in a given volume (usually a liter) of water.  If you want to know how much of something is in a solution, just take the number of atoms of the element, times the molarity (concentration). 
We are given H3BO3 at 100% and B2O3 at 56.3% in a previous post. 
For H3BO3: B x 1 = 1 mol of boron per liter of water.
For B2O3: B2 x .563 = 1.126 mols of boron per liter of water. 
The second one gives more boron for your money but I would assume they would function almost interchangeably. 

That said, I'm just assuming the key pieces of information in the previous posts are accurate.

downsouth

umm  soo , would the 20 mule team borax be just as good? That's what I've been using but at only a few cups per gallon of water. Should I put more per gallon?

bandmiller2

Milker,I'am not up  on the chemicals but its been my experience wood dries poorly in a building.Drying is all about air movement.Stacked outside with a rainproof roof and free air movement is best.When you've lost most of the moisture then move inside to finish.Outhers mileage may vary. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

j-dland

On the subject of hickory and value, try spalting some.Sells really well.
David

francismilker

Quote from: bandmiller2 on April 20, 2013, 07:20:19 AM
Milker,I'am not up  on the chemicals but its been my experience wood dries poorly in a building.Drying is all about air movement.Stacked outside with a rainproof roof and free air movement is best.When you've lost most of the moisture then move inside to finish.Outhers mileage may vary. Frank C.

I'm actually seeing that in action.  The wood I have in the loft is way behind the wood that's outside, stickered, and with sheetmetal setting on top of it to keep the rain off.
"whatsoever thy hands finds to do; do it with thy might" Ecc. 9:10

WM LT-10supergo, MF-271 w/FEL, Honda 500 Foreman, Husq 550, Stihl 026, and lots of baling wire!

mesquite buckeye

Slow drying is not a bad thing, unless it starts to mold. Slow drying will result in less internal stresses, more even drying, and less defect. :)
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Thank You Sponsors!