iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How do I build the Arch in my Timber Frame Truss?

Started by Yellow Barn, December 23, 2012, 08:11:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yellow Barn

Hi everybody! This is my first post and hoping someone can answer this question. I am in the process of starting on my 16' X 20' Timber Frame Cabin in January.

I am extremely interested in designing an arch for my 3 trusses much like the one in the picture provided. I know its a small cabin and I don't need something this fancy, but I want it to be special so I want to do it anyways  :rifle:.

The big question is...HOW DO I GET THAT BEND IN THE BEAM?? They will likely be 8 x 8 timbers and i have no idea how to get a large timber like that to bend into a half circle. Should I glue laminate the boards? I want to do it right and myself if possible. Any help, expertise, or leads on this would be great! I'm out in left field somewhere. Here is the link to the arch I am referring to: Links to off site pictures are not allowed

Thanks!
"...but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible." T.E. Lawrence

Jim_Rogers

Yellow barn:
Welcome to the forum.

I'm sorry but links to off site pictures are not allowed.

You need to put the picture in your own gallery first and then you can post a picture to your thread.

Those are the rules. And if you haven't read them, as you are new, maybe you better.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Jim_Rogers

Now to answer your question.

You don't bend the beam.
You either buy a glulam that is bent to that shape or you buy a larger piece of wood and saw off the outside pieces.

And of course you can buy a curved log and have it sawn on two sides to make a curved beam:

That's the way I have done it before.

Jim Rogers

jueston

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hB5dNu24mS8&noredirect=1

i did not see the picture, but one way is just slice it up and glue it back together around a mold, this is how furniture makers have been making curved pieces for a long time...

a curved beam is the exact same process just much larger in scale and thus much more difficult in exacution, but the steps are the same.

get a lot of planed 1x or thinner depending on the bend, glue them all together and then put them around a plywood shape and clamp with a lot of clamps...

but for anything structual you can't do the lamination yourself, so you might have to buy it from someplace that has engineers on staff and has tested there product so they can give you engineering numbers.   so i guess jims answer was much more to the point....

Yellow Barn

Thanks Jim, I was going to email you with this question but I know I have been giving you an ear full lately. I really think I want to do arches and I like those bent logs. Would it be ridiculous to buy some red oak ply wood, cut to arch size and laminate them myself? Just a thought...

Thanks Jim!!
"...but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible." T.E. Lawrence

Yellow Barn

Thanks jueston, You just answered my question to Jim about laminating myself. Thank you both so much for your time and response!

Jim_Rogers

Plywood is only used to make the jig/frame to hold the "real wood" while it dries under the clamp pressure.

We don't use "plywood" in timber framing.....

Jim Rogers

beenthere

yellowbarn
Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

There is some help for posting in the "Behind the Forum" Board.

linked here

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,61788.0.html

Not difficult, but some procedure to it. This link is for a PC, and there is additional help for the Mac's
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Builder-Bob

Welcome to the forum!

My 2 bits of free advise on making an arch...I have made curve pieces for furniture and several arches for a church. I made a jig out of plywood to the inside radius I wanted, then cut thin strips of red oak, granted I was working with a tight radius, I cut the strips 1/8x2x36" to make up a 2x2. Once I belt sanded the surface flat, then routed a nice edge, the result looked like a solid piece 2x2, couldn't see the lamed up strips.  To lam up a 8"x8" beam by several feet long, you probably will still need to plane the strips down to about 1/2" x 8" x length over your form.  You will only be able to glue up maybe 2 or 3 strips at one time, because the glue will set up before you can get all the clamps on...you will also need to use clamps on both side to keep the beam flat.  You are going to need a ton of pipe clamps (spaced about every 6-8")...not those quick grip squeeze clamps...those won't pull the strips together tight enough.  You will need a couple of helpers to work quickly. Once the initial glue up is done, just keep added strips to build the thickness you want. Once all glued up, you will have a bunch of glue squeeze out to clean up. Use a scraper to remove as much glue as you can, then belt sand the surface smooth....you will have a beautiful curved beam that will be very strong.

There are probably videos on YouTube on doing this.
Good luck...its do-able.

Bob
Measure once, cut twice, if it doesn't fit cut it again.

Yellow Barn

Bob, thanks so much for the positive feedback. That was a very thorough answer and I really appreciate the help!

I like to ask questions because that is how you learn...even if some people want to talk down to me for thinking outside the box  ::). I learned how to do Finish Carpentry by asking questions and teaching myself...and I will do the same with Timber Framing. My hope is to be the best Timber Framer I can and if that means asking outside the box questions--then so be it...I will continue to learn.

Thanks for the help!

Jay C. White Cloud

These are examples of "natural arch work. 

Regards,

Jay

"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

Yellow Barn

thecfarm

Beautiful and than some. Is that all one place? Picture # 9 looks like alot of things going on. Not just with the timber building but the grounds as well.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jay C. White Cloud

Hi Thecfarm,

Yes, that is one project, when I'm not fight'n off the "bankrupt" lending bank that has the mortgage, can make enough material to work with and the weather is clear, I spend my time here building.  My wife and son live close by, but I keep an office in the cabin and I sleep outside.  (Habit from my other job, don't like sleeping inside.)

So, if I'm not away doing a job, I'm here building this place.  It is a 325 square meter  (3500 sq ft) Asian style farm house, called a "Minka," (or Hanok, Chise, and several other vernacular, depending on region of Japan, Korea or China you are in.)  If you would like, do you think I should start a post about it?

regards,

Jay
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

thecfarm

Yes,I would like and many others would like too.  ;D  I'm not a timber builder at all. I usually just read and move on. But those pictures and the other stuff kicking around looked like a jig saw puzzle and when all done will look real nice.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jay C. White Cloud

You've got it, a few others have asked as well, let me try and write something up, and I'll post as soon as I can on a new FF post thread.  It will be called something like "Green Halo" project, just look for that.

:christmas:  :new_year:

Geeg

Quote from: Jay C. White Cloud on December 24, 2012, 03:06:20 PM
You've got it, a few others have asked as well, let me try and write something up, and I'll post as soon as I can on a new FF post thread.  It will be called something like "Green Halo" project, just look for that.

:christmas:  :new_year:

Looks really interesting Jay!, looking forward to reading all about your project. Sleep outside? man that one picture looks a little cold, is that your king size bed there in the last picture with all the snow on it  :D
Retired Airbus 380 Captain. Timberking 2200,  Kioti RX6010PC,  Nyle Kiln KD250, Polaris WV850

Rooster

The following quote has been altered for affect, and does not represent Jay's thoughts, opinions, or choice of liquid refreshment. :D

Rooster

Quote from: Jay C. White Cloud on December 24, 2012, 02:58:41 PM
My wife and son live close by, but I keep an office in the cabin and I sleep outside.  (Habit from my other job, don't like sleeping inside.)

And,... I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I prefer Dos Equis.

regards,

Jay

http://youtu.be/eFUpHZlGxu4
"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

"Old barns are a reminder of when I was young,
       and new barns are a reminder that I am not so young."
                          Rooster

Jay C. White Cloud

Rooster,

It could be the late hour, or the long day out side in the snow climbing around on a frame, but to come in and find this was a gift.  It warmed me up with laughter.  I don't have a beard, I don't drink but once or twice a year, (on friend's insistence,) but my general character was probably portrayed correctly. :D Thank's for the video clip!

May the Great Creator keep you and yours.

:new_year:

Jay

jueston

Thank You Sponsors!