iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Last trip for lumber

Started by Quebecnewf, November 25, 2018, 02:21:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quebecnewf

Well a customer calls and asks

Do you have any 2x6x8  sawed?

Me " Will yes I do but my boat is ashore for the winter . I will see what I can do."

A buddy loaned me his boat and my BIL gave me a hand brought out the last 84 pcs of lumber for this season .

Cold and sunny day

Quebecnewf 

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

Bruno of NH

You need to make money when you can.
When do you head to the woods for logging?
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Lawg Dawg

I like the way you stack your lumber...I can remember my granddad stacked green rough cut lumber like that when I was a kid.. :), also, BRRRRR!
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

olcowhand

QuebecNewf,
Did you have to raft that lumber out or take it in the boat? How many trips?
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

Quebecnewf

Yes it was brr a bit but it's that time of year . 

We move lumber from the mill to the village by bundles strapped on a sleigh that we tow from the shoreline at the mill to the village . Then up the ramp at the dock . This is for larger loads .
Smaller amounts get taken with dinghy from the shoreline then loaded aboard our bigger boat transported to the wharf and lifted onto the wharf with the winch at the wharf .

This was a special trip due to the lateness of the order and the our boats are ashore for the winter. 
A few random pics of this whole process.

Sea sleigh with a load

Taking a dinghy load of to our diesel boat 

Our boat "Reef Rat " ashore on the hauling slip for the winter.

The last load aboard my buddies boat . Customer wanted 150 pcs but we only had 84 . 

The mill site all shut down for the winter .We will saw up the slabs later in the coming spring before the snow melts and transport them home by snowmobile for firewood for our house and my moms . Usually sell a few loads to different folks in the village .

Quebecnewf 

69bronco

Always enjoy your pics, thanks for posting!

curved-wood

Quite a unique way to make lumber. Very interesting. Thank You for your posting

YellowHammer

That sure is an incredible view.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Magicman

Oh My, your lifestyle is so much different which is why I Thank You again for sharing.  I also look forward to seeing your felling, skidding, and staging this Winter.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

olcowhand

I agree with the others; Thanks for taking us along.
When my dad was alive, we would go up to the White River, Ontario area to fish. The Cabin we rented was constructed of all rough sawn (not store bought) 2x6s laid flat to one another to form the walls. Picture 48 courses to form 8' walls on a 24'x 30' Cabin. This cabin was only accessible by boat, and about 5 miles from the Boat Launch. The Lady (a widow) that we rented from told us that her husband had rafted most of it, with a couple of trips skidded over the ice pulled by Snow Machine.
Truly a different world, where determination and perseverance, not financial resources- get some amazing things done. 
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

PAmizerman

Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

sealark37

After enjoying your posts over the years, I finally sought out your home on Google earth.  You are truly at the end of the road!    Thanks for all the interesting posts, and the starkly beautiful landscape.  When you "go to the store", where do you shop?          Regards, Clark

Hilltop366

Yep, I was looking the other day, it is actually well past the end of the road you can only get there by boat, airplane or snowmobile. 

Onthesauk

Like we use to tell folks, "It's not the end of the earth, but you can see it from here!"

And I too have enjoyed your posts and pictures!
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Crossroads

Learned a couple things from this post/pictures 1) new way to stack lumber without stickers 2) I've got it pretty easy here in Idaho. I'm impressed .....
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Magicman

In the 1950's we stacked lumber vertically.  Kinda tepee style except not in a circle but on a board between two trees, etc.  They would be periodically flipped end over end as they dried.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Sixacresand

The old timers refer to the triangle style as pinwheel stacking. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

slider

Thanks for sharing . I always enjoy your post. 
al glenn

Quebecnewf

The " pinwheel" style is a very good way to pack lumber to dry . It is well suited to drying softwood . No stickers and you can pack a lot of lumber in a small area. Don't really have to have level ground .

There are two general stores in the village . I used to co own one but sold my half to my younger brother and " retired" a few years ago . After 25 years it was time for a more leasurly lifestyle .

So now we spend more time relaxing cutting and sawing logs .

Quebecnewf 

dgdrls

I always enjoy your posts,

Have a great "off-season"  

D

Thank You Sponsors!