iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sleep Paralysis

Started by Jeff, March 15, 2018, 11:34:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno of NH

I know a lot of folks that like the cbd.
Beav.
Have you seen the post on the Northern Project 2019 would be great to see you again.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Andries

The beav might be onto something here.
A neighbour started to take CBD oil drops (as I understand it, that's the 'non-high' part of MJ) to manage pain. He has fused spine issues and has lived with pain for most of his life. It's really changed his life for the better, he's much more energetic and cheerful now.
He takes the CBD oil drops in the morning and then again before he goes to bed.
I'm aware that pain management isn't the issue here - getting a solid eight hours sleep is the goal. Worth a try?
Since it's legal and available, it may be the silver bullet for what ails you Jeff.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Jeff

So I might as well tell the story of this mornings incident. I had to get up and go to the bathroom, Tammy had already left early to take the cheerleaders to a meet. When I got up, I was walking down the hall towards the bathroom. Problem is, this was not my hall. It was the hall of the house I grew up in. We lived in a 1967 Marlette mobile home on a full basement. It had an "expando" that made the living area double wide. When you walked down that hall, the first door on the left was my bedroom, a few feet further, on the right, was my sister Jill's bedroom. After that on the right was a door that opened up to where the furnace was. At the end of the hall there were three doors. To the left was the door to go outside, at the end, my parents bedroom, and to the right, was the bathroom.

I wasn't disturbed that I was now walking down the darkened hall to go to the bathroom in a home I had not slept in for 40 years, but I did not yet know I was in sleep paralysis, or about to enter it. I reached the bathroom, opened the door and went in. I turned and began to push the door shut. About 6" from being closed, it was suddenly and violently pulled shut from the other side. At the same time it was pulled shut there was what I could only describe as a demon like growl. I grabbed the door and tried to pull it open, the door would pull back shut from the other side. I tried to pull again and what ever was pulling from the other side was way more powerful than I was. I could only get it open an inch and it would suck back shut. At that point my mind said this was the devil I was dealing with.

Remember, this is sleep paralysis so this is all entirely real in my mind. As I sit here and type this, it is as clear as if It had actually happened, because with sleep paralysis hallucination, it is real. Like as if I was telling you about what I had for breakfast.

When I realized it was a demon on the other side, I tried to speak but could not. I started to try and use my finger like a pencil and write out "Jesus" on the inside of the door. I got the "J" written, and that's when I realized I could no longer move. At the same instance of not being able to move, I started spontaneously singing in a raspy voice, "Jesus loves me this I know". At that moment I knew exactly what was going on. I actually was singing. I was back on the couch where I had laid down after Tammy left. I could speak again, and my eyes rolled open and I could see Harley sleeping on the other couch. I tried to call for him, but as usual, he doesn't care or move. Now I am struggling to try and move, to do anything to come out of this episode. This went on for an unknown period. I knew I was by myself. I knew where I was, I knew my dog is an WORD EDITED BY ADMIN ;)  I eventually came out of it, swung my feet to the floor and sat there long enough to gather myself enough to get up and actually go to the bathroom. The reason this whole thing started in the first place.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

thecfarm

You know Jeff,I feel sorry for you. I suppose we all have nightmares,but not 2-3-4 times a week.  :o  That would wear on anyone.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jeff

I'll be fine. :)   Maybe at some point a mix pleasant or interesting non-horrifying events could occur. Not sure what that could possible be, but it's a hope.

SwampDonkey

For me it would be fishing in my grandfather's canoe with a feisty 20 lb Atlantic salmon on and he's taking all the rod and reel I can throw at'm to get him in close enough to scoop with a net into the boat. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

But the problem is, with sleep paralysis, you are paralyzed. You would not be able to reel, the fish would get to the end of the line, you would not be able to let go of the reel, so the sudden jolt of the fish when you ran out of line would pull you out of the canoe. You would begin gagging and coughing thinking you were drowning as you sank beneath the water. That would be the key to waking you up to find that you were now actually soaking wet because you peed. :D

SwampDonkey

Well, that part would be like never being able to get the fish close enough to net and your heart would be trying to jump out of your chest at the same time. :D

Don't need to be a dream for the heart thing, I can speak from experience. You think bears 10 feet away on a bate is scary. Think of one chasing you while your fighting a fish. Then after all that I would check for dampness. LOL

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Roxie

Jeff, if I went through half of what you have already been through, I'd be taking anything (legal or not) to get some relief. 
Say when

mike_belben

Satan is real and is banished to earth to pester us.  He tormented Jesus in the wilderness for 40days like he's doing to you. 

Jesus reply, "get behind me Satan" seemed to work. Try that one.
Praise The Lord

Jeff

I would imagine that episode had much to do with my upbringing as a preacher's kid.

This morning was different.  I was seeing lights flashing in my vision like a stray flashlight. I opened my eyes and could see light darting around outside of the window in the dark. I rose up in bed and looked out my bedroom window. My bedroom window of the house I had not slept in for 40 years again. I saw someone in the yard in the dark now shining a flashlight at the ground in the yard, and hurrying towards the edge of the hill and down to the road that was part of my childhood home.  I fell back to the bed, then tried to swing my feet to the floor so I could pull some cloths on and rush outside to find out what this guy was doing. Back to the real world I came, unable to move, now knowing where I really was. I started calling for help and within a few moments Tammy was shaking me awake.

I hope my son can get me another dose of thc soon so I can see if these stop for a week again.

JJ

I have nightmares, that I realize in my dream is a nightmare.   Cant wake up, but I have found once I realize it is a dream, I can change course..  Either by ignoring the phobia (walking around office or lunch room basically naked (enter Sigmund)), or changing the course into happier things.

I once had series of nightmares where I would try and try to get airborne with deadly results (I fly a lot for work, and should not watch those plane disasters on U-tube) or cannot get things together/packed for leaving..   I change this by leaving the scene, dream walking off to something/anything else..  Leaving the unflyable/unpacked/unfixed items behind.

Maybe instead of fighting directly to wake up, try judo and redirect into a better dream.  If you feel you are partly conscious, maybe you can refocus and change the dreams.

Good luck Jeff

doc henderson

my "like" of your post 111 is meant as a show of support. :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Jeff

JJ, what people do not understand is sleep paralisis and the accompanying hallucinations are not a dream. It is some sort a physical altered state. Its not a case of thinking im concious.  I am.

mike_belben

You need to start writing movie scripts jeff.  
Praise The Lord

Jeff

Bizarre it all is.

At 1:30 A.M. this morning I woke up from a dream. I had dreamed that i had went down the hall to our bathroom. When  I opened the door, things had changed. The bathroom was now a long, dark, narrow room with the toilet lit with what seemed a dim spotlight. The room extended to dark past the toilet that now sat in the middle of the room somewhere.

The toilet was canted severely backward. I walked up to it and saw the backside had collapsed into the floor and the floorboards behind it were broken. Like something very heavy had sat on it, leaned back, and broke through the floor. In the dream i decided to just go back to bed. The dream was fresh im my mind when I woke up. I got up, and went to the bathroom, and there  i actually found the bathroom had changed into exactly what was in my dream. Oh! I know what this is now. There i am, Still laying down and unable to move. I start calling for help. Once again Tammy had a hard time getting me out of it. She got me sat up and I fell over the other way and went right back into not moving. She shook me some more and eventually got me out of the episode.  

After Tammy left for work this morning, i had another episode, but pure paralysis. No sideshow.  I knew I was alone and just fought out of it. It feels today like all my muscles in my arms and neck and back are strained. Like what would happen if you over did trying to move something to heavy to move.

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Jeff

I sure hope my son can get me some doses soon. The problem here is now that it is legal, it's not available.

Last night at 3:30 Something laid down behind me. It then rolled up firmly against me like a wall. I tried to move away but I was frozen. What ever was behind me had an ominous presence and my fear factor rose quickly. I could hear it making noises. Not breathing. More like rustling. The fear factor went up and I started calling for Tammy. I heard her coming and as soon as I did, the thing behind me revealed itself. It was the back of the couch that I had pressed myself into the corner of to keep from rolling on my back. Tammy shook me out of it quite quickly.  5 episodes in 4 days is extreme.

Jeff

So as you don't need to watch net flicks tonight...

I had went 5 days without an episode until last night. So the one last night, I called and called and my mouth and throat went dry so then I could barely make a noise.  I finally heard Tammy coming. She grabbed my arm with both hands and squeezed. I noticed her hands were like ice. I said shake my arm in a very last horse voice. She still didn't shake, just squeezed a bit harder. That's when I heard her coming again. The cold hands let go just as Tammy really got there. It took her several seconds to shake me out of this one. It's like I've  become my own scary movie.  Night night everybody.

SwampDonkey

Ever follow Joe Rogan's podcasts? He's probably near the top of the list. He has some interesting guests, some real scientists. Once in awhile someone who studies what's going on in the brain and what substances or trauma influence things up there. There is also a lot of other guests full of fluff that will probably make you laugh if nothing else. ;)

ponderosae

If this happened to me, I'd drink between one to three liters of water every night before I went to bed, so I'd have to get up at least a couple of times to take a leak... I mean it already pisses you off, right? Or make some of that a sports drink, so you don't get a fluid imbalance, which can also cause a temporary paralysis (such as Hypokalemic Periodic Paralysis... either too little or too much potassium may cause paralysis, for instance, so the fluid balance shouldn't be overlooked, as a wild guess—I see that they mention this in the sleep paralysis article, coincidentally—I'd read about it here, initially, along with various articles about fluid balance, because there are lots of electrolytes involved, which are affected by thermoregulation, etc.), but usually the problem is that people simply need to drink more water (just not too much).

I'll probably do that myself anyway (I don't like sleeping all night, without a reality check somewhere in the middle of a strange dream, when nature calls).

By the way, I hadn't noticed that this topic had several pages, so now I see where you've said that you may get up several times a night already, if you've had something of a diuretic, perhaps. Well, water is not a diuretic, unless you drink an excessive amount (although it may seem like one if what you eat is causing that), so it could be that your diuresis is indicative of a fluid imbalance anyhow.  It may help to try drinking water and sports drinks (a.k.a. oral rehydration solution or isotonic beverages, in which the glucose is necessary for absorbing the electrolytes and balancing your brain chemistry, as well... maybe a bit too much info there, but it's food for thought at least).  It would be excessive to eat lots of salt in addition to that, except to get some iodine occasionally (if it isn't in your vitamin supplement). Just saying, it could be worth a try, and I guess that sleeping on your back could possibly work to optimize circulation (along with optimizing hydration), because if you lay on the limbs, they might tend to 'fall asleep', which could give you the sensation of paralysis (or maybe that's just me).

Oddly enough, talking about sleep keeps me awake, so I also looked into how potassium may be associated with sleep studies, and 'potassium channels' are mentioned to some extent along with sleep disorders.  Beyond that, a recent study says "a significantly strong correlation was identified between K+ [potassium] and REM sleep in men" who are hypertensive (Decreased serum potassium may disturb sleep homeostasis).

Potassium excretion also varies depending on the sleep/wake pattern and affects blood pressure in the process: Role of Circadian Rhythms in Potassium Homeostasis

Other information seems to indicate that low blood sugar or high sodium intake can lead to potassium levels dropping, which could be why a fluid balance isn't necessarily maintained by having some potassium in the diet (if the rest of the diet is not balanced).

An imbalance of this electrolyte can be associated with sleep disturbances and/or paralysis at times, FYI.

alan gage

Hope you've been seeing some improvement on this front, Jeff.

My cousin just said she's been experiencing sleep paralysis recently and also mentioned hypnagogic halucinations. I looked that up and it sounds like what you had going on. I'm sure you're already aware of that term but I wanted to mention in just in case.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Jeff

Yes, well aware of the term and know exactly what it describes.

I had been doing well, but I have had 4 events of late, 3 days in a row leading up to the day of the events I am currently experiencing  described in the full members board, and one yesterday morning that was most difficult to emerge from.  It's  not within me to just try and ride these out. I fight my way out, and that can leave me mentally drained.

Jeff

Its funny, it has been over a year since I updated this topic. I thought about it because of a pretty unsettling episode a couple mornings ago. I've been really doing well on the episode front. Maybe one a month or so versus the multiple episodes a night I was having before. Until this last month.  I look on here and see wow, it looks like this may be a seasonal thing, or something related to the seasons.  I've had 4 episodes this last week. 2 in one night, but all just the ordinary generic, "oh, I'm awake and I can't move versions." Nasty. Except this last one. THis one started out to be one of the will this ever end versions of the sleep paralysis, where I am calling for help, or THINK I am calling for help, and no one comes, and it goes on and on and on. Well, this one, finally, I hear tammy coming. She gets to me, leans in, and I hear in this, how do I describe it, in this hissy, slow, but clear, whisper. "I won't wake you up. I won't wake you up. I won't wake you up. Right then Tammy does come tearing around the corner and shakes me out of it.  I know this one has unnerved me more than usual, simply because the last two nights now, as soon as I lay down, I hear the whisper in my mind, worried I'll have another episode before I even go to sleep. This episode happened at 6 in the morning! I had already been up, but Tammy had not. I laid on the couch and went to sleep there.

I've got some stuff going on right now that has been weighing on my mind, and I am sure this has a lot to do with it. I'm fine, I just wanted to make a record of this time while it is still vivid. I read back over some of my other episodes. I am glad I wrote them down here. Some are just as vivid as when they happened when I read back, and some I only slightly recall and never would without the record, which I think may prove to be important some day.

Don P

Daylight has improved by a couple of hours, but have you been cooped up this week?

Ahh, you just sold the property, that's bound to be pushing some buttons.

Thank You Sponsors!