iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

CNC Machine cuts Airplane Parts

Started by Busy Beaver Lumber, July 08, 2013, 08:07:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Busy Beaver Lumber

A friend of mine owns a laser and uses it to cut balsa wood parts for a manufacturer of 1/3 scale RC Plane kits with wing spans in the neighborhood of 12 plus feet.

The kits, some of which cost over $400, also have some parts that are fabricated out of 3/8" thick baltic plywood, which apparently does not cut particularly well on the laser. So he approached me and asked me if i were interested in cutting the plywood parts using my Digital Wood Carver CNC machine.

The firewall shown measures 12 inches tall and 13 inches wide. The wing supports for the center of the wings are about 2 inches tall and 21 inches long. Using a 1/8" inch diameter spiral cut carbide bit, the CNC cut them with ease. These were cut at the rate of 20 inches per minute and depth of cut of .20 per pass. I know I can go faster and take deeper cut and my try that on the next batch to cut down on processing time as it looks like we will be doing quite a few pieces like these and other styles as well.

I love doing off the wall stuff like this because it keeps you from getting bored. Got me thinking about a lot of other parts I could cut on the machine for wood crafts and such. Good thing i bought a box of 20 carbide bits.  smiley_hydrogen smiley_lit_bulb

Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

drobertson

Cool stuff, there's no limit to what you can do with that equipment, what is the name of the software you are using?  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

ronwood

Dave,

He is using Vcarve pro with Plantcnc software to drive the cnc controller. I have the basically the same setup that Fred has.  I do have the 4th axis that he did not have at one time. You can do a lot of things with them. I need to post some pic of some the items that I have done too.

Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

GrahamW

Good looking work.  For more info the attached pdf gives a good guide re chip load and other bit information

justallan1

Very neat stuff to see!
I've never ran one, but at the machine shop where I worked 10 years ago they had a laser that would do anything from perforating boxes to making plastic parts and O-rings. The thing would even do etching on glass or anodized parts.
If you ever had to much down time on your cnc carver I would sure think you could stay plenty busy mass producing small wood or plastic parts for someone.

Allan

Busy Beaver Lumber

Dave

As Ron mentioned, I am running Vcarve Pro 7.0 and think it is an awesome software package. Very user friendly and easy to learn and awesome documentation on line and demonstration videos as well.

I love the Digital Wood Carver CNC and the support that I get from the company owner, Burl. He is top shelf in my opinion and gets back to you in record time if you have a question or concern. He never hangs up with you until your issue is resolved and you are back up and running. We had windows do an automatic update and hose one of the config files. We called Burl and 5 minutes later we were cutting product and making money....and by the way did i mention that was on a holiday weekend? Where else to you find support like that from a machine manufacturer.
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

Thank You Sponsors!