261 is at the top of my next saw list. I can't wait for you to get
20-30 hours on it.

Those beavers do nice work. Have you trained any to split the wood
or just to buck it like that?

HolmenTree

Quote from: Kel71 on June 13, 2017, 03:57:46 PM

Those beavers do nice work. Have you trained any to split the wood
or just to buck it like that?
No unfortunately it's not in their plan to split the rounds.
They wouldn't be able to roll them to the water if they did.
I'm just happy with the job they do. All they leave behind is the stump and chips
:D ;D :)
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

HolmenTree

Did a little exploring on some more features of the new edition Stihl MS261CM.
Nicely designed air injection to separate dirt and debris from the intake air off the flywheel. Delivering clean air to the air box and air filter.

Woodcutter_Mo

Quote from: HolmenTree on June 14, 2017, 10:29:10 AM
Did a little exploring on some more features of the new edition Stihl MS261CM.
Nicely designed air injection to separate dirt and debris from the intake air off the flywheel. Delivering clean air to the air box and air filter.

I'm glad Stihl finally started doing this, that's one thing that always annoyed me about the older Stihls is the air filter bay constantly being filled with sawdust.
-WoodMizer LT25
-592XP full wrap, 372XP, 550XP, 455 Rancher, RedMax GZ3500T
-Fixer-uppers/projects:
024AV, MS260, MS361, MS460, Shindaiwa 488, 394XPG

HolmenTree

Actually Stihl introduced their air injection and spring anti vibe mounts on the MS441 over 10 1/2 years ago.

Canadiana

Anyone know the differences between the updated 261cm with the more stylish side cover and the older version of the 261cm. Is one rumored to cut faster/last longer? In 14" spruce  n pine the 261cm was just a hair slower than the 044, not trying to derail a thread. I'd love to hear about some 550xp vs 261cm cut times
The saw is more fun than the purpose of the wood... the forest is trembling 🌳

Canadiana

The saw is more fun than the purpose of the wood... the forest is trembling 🌳

HolmenTree

Quote from: Canadiana on June 14, 2017, 08:47:55 PM
Oops. I see the above
Canadiana, this new edition Stihl MS261CM was just recently introduced .
Like I said I ran Stihls for 25 years during the 1980's 1990's and into 2005 when I bought my first Husqvarna a early edition 372XP with more models to follow.

There's a big shake up in the Stihl corporation with a MS462C recently introduced.
The new edition MS261CM is a whole new design based after the big brother 462.
Very exciting times for this company and it sure caught my attention.
Husqvarna has new models under their sleeve too soon to be introduced. But what I seen so far their prototype of one certain model still has a primer bulb with not much change of design from what they already have for the last 7 years.

HolmenTree

This new edition Stihl MS261CM is a whole new model.
50.1cc
4.1 bhp
10.8 lbs

2017 Husqvarna 550XP
50.1cc
3.75 bhp
10.8 lbs.

ladylake

Paper specs don't mean much, company's have been fudging the numbers for years.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

HolmenTree

At least there are numbers from both manufacturers. 3.75 and 4.1
One says bhp other hp?

ladylake

If they are really close one of them is fudging, Stihl fudged a lot on their best selling saw the MS290 to make sales. They had it rated at 3.8hp when it was more like 3.2hp as any pro 50 cc saw rated around 3.8 hp would cut way faster.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

HolmenTree

I may have to setup a homemade all engine water brake dyno to get some kw measurements, something I have put off for too long.
Originally was planned in my Yamaha YZ  bikesaw build over 30 years.
Will be a fair test for these 2 saws as both were bought new at about the same time.

Ed

Very interested to know the fuel usage on the 261CM, dad bought one last fall......goes through fuel like a pig eating fresh swill.

Ed

gspren

Quote from: Ed on June 18, 2017, 12:06:06 AM
Very interested to know the fuel usage on the 261, dad bought one last fall......goes through fuel like a pig eating fresh swill.

Ed
I have had my 261 for several years, not the CM, and I thought it was easy on gas.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

HolmenTree

Quote from: Ed on June 18, 2017, 12:06:06 AM
Very interested to know the fuel usage on the 261, dad bought one last fall......goes through fuel like a pig eating fresh swill.

Ed
Ed, both the 550XP and MS261CM seem to burn fuel at the same rate, so far.

Ed

Had to edit my post, forgot to state it's a "CM" version.

My old 026 has always been good on fuel, so far the "CM", not so much.

Ed

HolmenTree

I'll check the MS261CM 's fuel tank capacity compared to the 026/260.
You'd think with the CM's huge HD canister air filter that it would breath real easy saving fuel.

mad murdock

Great thread HT! As far as fuel consumption is concerned, I know you know this as you have tweaked many an engine in your past to get more power out of it. My guess would be that if the new Stihl lives up to the HP numbers, it will burn more gas to get there, there is only so much power in a cc of fuel. More power out means more fuel in, until someone invents that magic "pill" or whatever to get to "crack" the hydrocarbon molecule so you can really unleash the potential of an internal combustion engine, but then again with the constant re- formulation to "gasoline" over the years, that begins to be near impossible also. 
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

HolmenTree

Thanks Murdock, yes seeing this new edition Stihl MS261CM is posted at 4.1bhp and the old MS260 is 3.2bhp more fuel would be burned.
But also checking Stihls website the 261 has a larger 500cc fuel tank, the 260 is 460cc.
I pulled the spark arrestor screen out of the 261's muffler yesterday and noticed a small increase in power.
I pulled the 550's too but never tried it yet....I'm having too much fun with the MS261CM  :D

ButchC

Quote from: HolmenTree on June 21, 2017, 09:56:03 AM

I pulled the 550's too but never tried it yet....I'm having too much fun with the MS261CM  :D

Me think you have a favorite child,,,  8)     And you are giving me the new saw itch too.
Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Shop built firewood processor
Case W11B
Many chainsaws, axes, hatchets,mauls,
Antique tractors and engines, machine shop,wife, dog,,,,,that's about it.

HolmenTree

Quote from: ButchC on June 21, 2017, 10:11:03 AM
Quote from: HolmenTree on June 21, 2017, 09:56:03 AM

Me think you have a favorite child,,,  8)     And you are giving me the new saw itch too.
Yes it seems to be becoming that way Butch ;D
My 562XP go to saw was light to me but this new MS261 feels so light it feels like a toy. Until you bury it's bar, it really surprises me.
I removed 4 large  birches for a customer today . Buried the 16" bar bucking up 16"long rounds. Even lowering the stumps to the ground having to cut them 360 degree wasn't much of a challenge for it.

It hit 77-78F today with lots of humidity and no hot starts issues what so ever. I don't think the saw even has a fast idle, don't need it. Once it revved up a little bit weird while cutting but I think it was just adjusting it's self.

Had the new 23RS .325 chisel chain on it today for the first time and never even put a file to it yet, but cut real nice otherwise. :o

The little 63PS chisel chain I had on it from the first tank to yesterday was a good combination and will cut faster then the bigger .325 23RS by the stop watch being lighter built and making a narrower kerf. But I can't really tell when working.
If I had touched up the new 23RS with the file first thing this morning it definitely would cut faster them it did new out of the box.

The 7 T .325 rim is quite a bit smaller in diameter then the Picco 7T 3/8 rim so the 23RS would be as easy pulling for the 261 compared to the narrower Picco chisel with the larger diameter rim sprocket.

23RS has more meat to it so would be a sturdier edge holding chain.
I'm running the 23RS on my 562XP too and  it's a nice smooth quick combo

HolmenTree

Removed some Manitoba maples today for a customer with the 550XP getting it's turn.
Much cooler today 61F/16C with 80% humidity. The 550 has about 8 tanks through it already and since the dealer reset the Auto Tune fuel settings it's  running almost normal now.
Still taking it's time warming up with what seems like a pre ignition miss that takes even longer to go away. Maybe it needs a new spark plug already.

John Mc

This thread is bumming me out. I really like the local Husky dealer. The 550XP was on my list to get when my Jonsered 2152 finally wears out. Looks as though I might have to get to know my Stihl dealer a bit better.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

HolmenTree

John, I've had good experiences with 550XP s over the years. It just needs some more time on it, once it gets totally  warmed up it runs great. Make a good logging saw 8 hr a day 5 day a week.

Thank You Sponsors!