iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bringin' up da Wood

Started by Magicman, September 29, 2018, 01:58:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southside

Magicman - I just don't understand why you choose to live in such a frigid part of the country.  It was a balmy 43 degrees here this morning.... :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Magicman

DanG'ed if I know??  Just can't seem to bust out of the pattern.  :-\

This is crazy 'cause I even had to add another stick of wood about an hour ago.  :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

olcowhand

Our fire's been burning for a little more than a month now. Mid- 20s and snow last night.
I shouldn't have to post a pic; you all can imagine how beautiful our fire is in this weather..... Still not as cold here as where some of our FF Brethren (and "Sistren") are (check out a couple of Willard's latest posts).
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

Southside

At this rate Marty is going to be on his own for a floor - you're gonna need that big un to stay warm in the coming ice age!!  
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Magicman

Nah, Willard is set up beside the school kids Lemonade Stand and doing a Stop-n-Shop....Load-n-Go.  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

I guess I'll have to start up a smudge. zzzz_smiley
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

TimRB

It got down to 40 here this morning.  If this keeps up I may have to put on long pants.

Tim

Magicman

Ah hopes dat ah don't hafta start wearing no shoes!!!  :o

Magicman

Guys, this cold weather has gone crazy.  It's forecast to drop into the low 40's or even possibly the high 30's this weekend.  :o  I may hafta bring up another wheelbarrow of wood sometime next week.  fire_smiley

goose63

Come on up bring yer long johns and snow shoes

This stuff will be here a loooooong time
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Southside

No Long Johns close by, but we have Chick-fil-a in town. I can bring you some if you like.  :D
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

John Mc

Quote from: TimRB on November 10, 2018, 02:03:42 PM
It got down to 40 here this morning.  If this keeps up I may have to put on long pants.

Tim
It's been in the 30s here for a while now and down to highs in the 20s some days. Most of the kids are starting to think about switching to long pants to wear to school.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

SwampDonkey

We've been down in the 5F range already this month, looks like another one tonight. Warm in here though. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WV Sawmiller

I bought one of these, or very similar to it, several years ago and we find it is great to haul firewood from the utility room to the den where the big wood heater is located. I bought mine at TSC. I throw wood through a coal chute door into a raised wood box. This saves me lots of trips to move it once inside the house.
Amazon.com : Landmann USA 82427 Log Caddy with Cover, Black : Plant Seed And Flower Products : Garden & Outdoor
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

I brought up two more trailer loads of wood today, mainly because it was not raining nor was the yard wet so no tracks.  Looks like we just might have temps into the 40's all of next week.  :o

Andries

Magic - our temps are in the forties as well.
On the other side of the zero that is . . . .  :D  :D  :D

Now this, my friend, is how you 'bring up da wood'.
Goose, I'll bring you a load - think the border patrol will mind?
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

curved-wood

Hope the border patrol dont want to check what is inside

SwampDonkey

I'm thankful I stored 8 cord. I have been burning a wheel barrow load of wood a day and it is January cold here at 0F this morning. That is some cold for November weather. ;D :D Thank goodness for 6" of insulation in the walls and 30"+ in the attic. :)

goose63

Andries bring it turkey on the table today smiley_turkey_dancing smiley_turkey_dancing smiley_turkey_dancing smiley_turkey_dancing
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Old Greenhorn

Thanksgiving here to day and the temp is 10F. I am thankful that I put up more wood than I thought I would need back in June. Started the woodstove early (end of October) because the boiler split open and we needed heat. Been burning ever since. (Usually it is mid-November.) Thought I would have an excess at the end of the season this year, but I might have to cut some more come March. I have a load of logs dried and ready. Coldest November I can ever recall, a foot of snow last week, and I am trying to get down to the mill to finish that project. Gonna try to get a few hours in this morning before we head over to the party at my Daughters. Wish it would warm up. This was my pile before I filled it up in the middle.
Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Magicman

I am thankful that 8 cords of wood would last me 8 years and a wheel barrow full would last a week.  It is 40° this morning with a forecast high of 63°.  I am also thankful for that.   :)

I noticed yesterday evening that my Red Oak tree leaves are just beginning to change colors.

And the ornamental Maple is in full glory.  

Happy Thanksgiving to all.  :)

lxskllr

I put .5 cord of wet oak on my porch this spring. It's dry enough, if not ideal. I've been slowly adding more almost every day, and now have ~1 cord almost ready to go, as well as kindling. I've been pulling off the sunnier stacks, and it should be ready by the time the original is burned.

All my wood is on scattered piles in the back yard. All is exposed, but some don't get sufficient sun, so they stay kinda wet. I think it's about 6 cord total that's already split/stacked. I have another cord that needs to go on pallets, 2 cord that's still in rounds on the ground(some I'd guess are ~1,000# each), and probably another 2-3 cord still attached to the tree. at which point I'll consider the job mostly done.

So much work... Every piece is a puzzle figuring out how it wants to come apart. I have some I simply quit on, and they'll be split using a chainsaw. It takes me the better part of an hour to break one of the big rounds down.

I haven't run central heat yet. I have the thermostat set to 50°(56° is my preferred setting) as an emergency backup, and have been solely burning wood. So far, so good. I imagine the heat will come on in the next month or so. Can't keep a fire going while I'm out.

Magicman

Well it was getting time to bring up some firewood so I used "Big O", my new-to-me Kubota that has not made the trip to the farm yet.

Two bucket loads.

That should be enough to last until January!  8)

Southside

Hard to believe, given it was 100F here last week..
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

SwampDonkey

I've got about 9 cords stashed away and have burned that much on your porch already. :D

My white oak is just beginning to get some red leaves. The red oaks are various shades from yellow to red as well, but they quickly go brown.

Thank You Sponsors!