iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pictures Now Included!!!! Out Door Wood Furnance Question

Started by Ga_Boy, August 07, 2005, 05:28:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ga_Boy

I am hooking up a Heatmore out door furnace.

By the directions I am to caulk around the bottom of the stove and the slab inside the firebox.

Then fill the fire box with sand till it is flush with the fire grate.

The question is:  Should the caulk be a high temp caulk?

The directions that came with the stove did not specify the type of caulk to use. 

Any help is appreciated.

Mark
10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

UNCLEBUCK

Hey congratulations on getting a nice boiler ! I am guessing but I think that the caulking at that location is to just keep out bugs and moisture . I hope you show some pics of setting that up and tell how and show how you plumbed it to wherever . You lucky dog !  ;)
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

maple flats

It seems there would be essentially no heat at that location and therefor no need for high temp caulk, any caulk should suffice. Nice going there Ga_Boy. What would the depth of the sand be?
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Corley5

Dad's is sealed with a regular silicone caulk.  That area doesn't get hot at all with all the sand in it.  His caulked on the outside too
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Ga_Boy

As soon as this rain moves out, I'll get out there and take some pictrures of my stove setup and kiln.

The sky opened up yesterday and dumped on us.

I guess I should not complaine, we do need the rain, just in smaller doses and over longer streches of time.  It's raining now, the kind we need, slow and soaking.

I did find out that I need to put down a some insulation before I put in the sand.  This will help from loosing heat into the slab.

The caulking is to prevent air drafts in the fire box, I'll get some measurments for how much sand is needed.  I guess the sand will act as a heat sink for the stove and it makes it a lot lighter.

Ed

We put in a Heatmore back in the spring. Really happy with it.
You may use regular silicone caulk to seal the unit to the slab.
Don't forget to pack the sand in the firebox!!! I made a packin' stick on the lathe & crawled right in the firebox. Dad shoveled in the sand & I went to work. Not a fun job but it's a one time deal.
The dealer also told us that you don't really need to clean the ash off the sand. Let the ashes build up on it & it will fall into the grates. The only thing we do is rake the grate when loading the furnace.
Ed

Ga_Boy

Ed,

Did ya'll lay down a insulation material between the slab and the sand?  I've got some of that bubble wrap with aluminium foil stuff, the trade name is Low-e insulation for metal buildings.

This is what I was told to use. 

Mark

Ed

Nope, the dealer never said anything about insulating the sand from the concrete. I can't imagine any heat loss from the bottom.  Hmmmm, I will look in the book tonite though.

Did you run your water lines yet?

Ed

ronwood

Mark,

How well does that insulation work? I need to put some insulation up in my shed. I am currently installing a Central Boiler wood furnace. My neighbor has a Heatmore. If you have any installation  questions I could give him a call or go take a look at it.

Good luck.
Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

Corley5

No insulation under the sand in Dad's stove.  The dealer never mentioned it and heat loss doesn't seem to be an issue.  The slab doesn't melt off around the stove
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Ga_Boy

Ed,

I got two circuits in the ground, one set for the kiln the other set to heat the work shop.

In a few months I will put in a curcit to heat the house and domestic hot water coil and line.

Ron

This Low-e stuff seemed to work well.  The outfit where I bought my stove has a metal building that is insulated using this stuff.  There in no heating or AC in the building; when I picked up my stove it was around 11 AM and about 90 degrees outside.  Inside the building it was nice and comfortable inside.

Mark

Ed

Mark,
Sounds like you are moving along pretty well with the installation.
The lines are the worst part, ours are run with Kitec tubing, that stuff is a DanG pain to work with. I found a 1" conduit bender works great for sharper radii.
I assume you are also using the 4" s&d pipe with the styrofoam insulation on it to feed the tubing thru. That stuff isnt bad til you have to make a 90 degree bend. I used a 90 deg. electrical sweep for the bend going up into the furnace. The sweep is about 3 feet long & the tubing pushes thru fairly easy. You can get adapters to go from schedule 40 (the electrical pvc) to the s&d pipe (schedule 20).
I also used a couple pieces of Unistrut anchored on the basement wall to fasten all the indoor stuff (pump, etc.) to. It made for an easy & clean installation.
Good luck.
Ed

Ga_Boy

Here are  the pictues of my Heatmore furnance and some shots of my yard.

This is the existing circuits, one is for the kiln the other is to my shop.

This two conduit sleves in the slab for future expansion.

This is the return manifold with room for 2 more circuits.

This is the supply manifold with room for 2 more circuits.

This is my furnance sitting on the slab.

This is two 20' insulated shipping containers with SS lined interior and the wood furnance.

This is 2 big Oak logs I've got that need to be milled.

This is one of my log bunks, this one has Oak and Maple logs waiting for me.

Here is a shot of me cutting a Poplar.

This is a stack of Red Oaks waiting to be milled

This is a stack of Red Oaks, White Oaks and Black Locust waiting to be milled.

This is a shot looking from the funance back towards my log yard, you can see the two big Oaks laying in the yard.  These two are so big my tractor can not pick up one end of them.

Part_Timer

Real nice looking set up Mark.  If the tractor won't pick them up it's a good thing you got that swinger Isn't it ;D

Tom
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Ga_Boy

Thank You Sponsors!