iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

adding a debarker to lt40hd

Started by attwood, February 25, 2014, 08:24:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

attwood

I am considering adding a debarker to my 96 lt40hd ive searched around on here but haven't found what im looking for  what all other than the debarker do I have to get and what will I have to upgrade on my mill  im thinking the extra weight may cause some problems and also the added power needed for it may call for a bigger alternator  thanks for any input

Magicman

My first call would always be to WM.  They can look at the model, version, and year and tell you what is available or adaptable.  Of course even then we are limited only by our own imagination.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

My mill has a debarker that was installed after the mill left the factory!

It's a lot of extra weight and I was having to replace the brushes in the little up/dn motor quite often.

Then about a month ago I replaced the lift motor and gear box assembly and installed a larger unit, it's Wood-Mizer part # A11585 and will cost around $646.00 plus shipping!

Simply remove the old and install the new, takes about half an hour!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

woodhick

Chuck did that increase the speed of raising your mill?  I do not have a de-barker but plan to add some day but thinking the faster up/down speed might make that upgrade worth the cost?
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

MartyParsons

Hello.
The 1996 LT40HD would have the alternator and the up down chain must say USA. After 3/1997 all sawmills had the 50-2 chain so no worries.
Here is the note.
"USA" should be stamped into the side plates
of the chain. If it is not, you will
need to replace the existing chains with
the proper specified chains.
Original alternator would be a 61 amp and there have been up grade kits moving up to 105 amp. The 61 amp would be ok for the Mark II Debarker.
The saw head gear box will handle the extra weight with no issues. I would not think you would notice the speed difference as long as the up down motor is in good condition.
Hope this helps.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Delawhere Jack

I really need to add a debarker to my '95 LT40. Hopefully things pick up a little as the weather improves so that I can fit it into my budget.

Remle

I added the Mark II Debarker option to my 1994, LT 40 HD back in 2008 and have had no problems or other modifications were necessary, as Marty says check the lift chain for the "USA" side plate. FYI cost was around $1500 in 2008.

yellowrosefarm

When I bought my 92 LT40 a couple of years ago it had no debarker. My first call was to Woodmizer where I was told "you can not put a debarker on that mill". My next action was to start searching C-List for a used one, which I found about 3 hours away. I took measurements off of another mill that had a debarker and mounted it on mine in the same location. It has worked fine and doesn't seem to affect the up/down speed. There must be different ones because this one only weighed about 40lbs, not a significant amount to add to the head. I made my own wire harness and switch box including a light when it's running. With hearing protection on and the mill running I couldn't hear the debarker so the light lets me know it's on.

MartyParsons

Hello,
just make sure you stay safe. If the up down chain would fail it may not be good. The warning is if you have one up down chain or one that was made in another country it may fail. It is also best to have an external alternator.
There have been two revisions on the debarker. The first one was a Mark I it had a belt drive. It does not work as well as the Mark II which is a direct drive. I am not sure of the exact weight of each.

Hope this helps.
Marty

"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Chuck White

The sawhead on my mill may not raise or lower faster (or maybe it does a little), but it definately is smoother and easier.

I think the difference in HOW it moves, makes it appear that it moves faster!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

attwood

got a chance to go look at my mill and it has a size 40 chain  Taiwan stamped on it

Chuck White

If you're adding a debarker, you'll need to have 2 chains side-by-side!

Thank You Sponsors!