iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood-Mizer head alignment with accuset

Started by delvis, July 29, 2012, 10:56:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

delvis

I have a problem with my head height/roller guides/accuset/something.

We try to keep a close eye on the various things that need to be kept aligned on the mill so we don't have to worry about cutting straight lumber.  That also makes it easier to see when something is out of whack.  The other day I started a new job sawing cedar from a customer.  The wood is average quality at best with lots of ends that are too small for what he would like to have out of them, but it is what it is.  Cedar being springy, I haven't worried too much if the ends pop up a little or the middle is a little thicker on the top or last boards.

What's bugging me is that when I do have a decent cant on there and all the wood is coming out as it should, the bottom board is 1/8" thin.  It is consistent from one end to the other and side to side, so I don't believe it is a head tilt issue.

How does the calibration mode on the accuset 2 work?  I am wondering if this is all that needs to be done to straighten me back out and get me back in the sawdust.  Thanks again for your help.  Mike
If I never saw another board I will at least die happy having spent the last few years working with my dad!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

When you set your accuset to saw, do you add a 1/16 for blade thickness? If you take an 8" cant you will not be able to get 8,    1 inch boards out of it.

I'm just trying to get an idea of your problem.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

delvis

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on July 29, 2012, 11:06:13 AM
When you set your accuset to saw, do you add a 1/16 for blade thickness? If you take an 8" cant you will not be able to get 8,    1 inch boards out of it.

I'm just trying to get an idea of your problem.

Yes, I do have the kerf set for the blades we are using.  We did adjust the roller guides the other day to what the factory recommends after adjusting the head tilt to where it is supposed to be.  I haven't got the tape measure out and I think that needs to be the next step, but I wanted to ask here before I go up and start looking too hard.
If I never saw another board I will at least die happy having spent the last few years working with my dad!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Mike, I've never had this problem. Hang loose until some other members chime on on your concerns. Somebody will put you right on a solution.  smiley_thumbsup
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Bibbyman

If you've made any adjustments or changed blade thickness, you may have to go into the Accuset setup mode and calibrate head and adjust the "Set to 12"".

This is best done by setting the head say at 12 1/16" mark.  Then go to the satup mode and poke the "Set to 12"" opinion. Once you poke the button, the readout will change from 12 1/16" to 12".

Be sure to save twice.

Now your last board or cant should be 1/16" thicker.   

You may need to fiddle around with this setting a couple if times before you settle on what you're happy with.

I may have shown this on the youtube video I made.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

customsawyer

Bibby beat me to it. The other thing you can check is your blade height to the bed rails.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

drobertson

sounds like your kerf setting might be different from the actual blade tooth set. I would check you blade height to bed rails, just use your tape and bring the head to 12 in manual mode go to cal.head and save. do some test cuts and and check the cant. most blades are in the .093 kerf range +/- a few  thous. If your cuts arent wavy then you should be in good shape, just test cut and adjust as needed.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

rmack

I set my kerf @.099 (.045 blade + .022 x 2 for the set)

measured 12" from bottom of low tooth tip to bed... seems to work. :)
the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
2012 LT40HDSD35 Yanmar Diesel Triple
1972 Patrick AR-5
Massey Ferguson GC2410TLB Diesel Triple
Belsaw Boat Anchor

drobertson

well then, that sounds  awsome! I have found that small logs bow just a bit, and by the time you are done it is a bit under size. I have a 2004 LT 40 super, and have struggled with alignment of late, patience is critical. small amounts of adjustments for sure. these machines are killer for close work on green wood for sure. Hope you have good sucesss.  David
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

delvis

Thanks again folks.  I am planning on hitting it tomorrow morning and doing some measuring and other checks to make sure everything is right where it is supposed to be.  Be nice to get back to sawing again and not have to worry about that bottom board.

Bibbyman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1mzRYJ1vHQ

I did include "set to 12"" on the video I made.  The video is over 20 minutes long and comes up at the 12 minute marker.  So get a cup of coffee before you fire it up.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

delvis

I watched the video, you did a nice job explaining all that out.  I wanted to say that it didn't escape my attention that if my bottom board is thin, my cants must have been thin by the same amount as well.  Hopefully, I'll be back in line again this morning when I get up there.

Thank You Sponsors!