iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Storing Bandsaw Blades

Started by rickyc, December 15, 2016, 07:19:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickyc

Hello Forum....
Newbie for sure here and will be doing mostly for Hobby and being able to get some wood for doing my Woodworking so definitely not in the business.
Hoping to finish up a deal on a TK-2000 if all is in good working order shortly.  Machine sat up for about 12-18 months as poor guy ran into health issues.  Originally was going to purchase new TK-1400 which turned into going for more hydraulics and TK-1600 and then ran into a deal I couldnt (or thought) wouldn't pass up but once there the engine wouldn't start (laid up and not enough attention prior to me driving 350 miles round trip.  Anyway, was all good and now is up and running but really will give work out hopefully before purchasing.

Anyway...question I have is something I was told by TK.  I told them the person still had all 3 boxes of new blades he got with the machine, minus the one he had on. 
They said if the new blades had been stored "coiled" in the box for that long they would break very soon when trying to use..
I've never heard or had this happen with my woodworking  12" band saw blades.  I keep them coiled when not on the machine or using different blades.
Anyone ever heard of this ?? 

Chuck White

I don't believe their statement!

Most of the time, my blades are stored "coiled" and I've never had any issues!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Bruno of NH

My bands stay coiled and i have only broke one band in 3 years of milling.
I think it was my fault it broke to.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

rickyc

Yeah talked to couple of my woodworking buddies and we were wondering why this would be. TKING guy said he,didn't know why but if coiled for any length of time it was almost sure to happen..guess just to be sure and use them alot ...lol
Thanks yall

Klunker

I have worked in many machine/tool making shops. In 32 years I have never seen band saw blades stored any other way than coiled in 3 loops.
I bought a used drop saw that came with maybe 20-30 extra blades. All coiled in 3 loops as typical. The date on the tag on one of the blades was 1988. I stored the blades in the same box till I sold it about a year ago.

Chuck White

I still agree that no harm will come to bands stored while coiled up!

The TK guy is likely very knowledgeable in many areas or he wouldn't be working for a business like TK, but I don't think so in the storage of band saw blades!  (This is my opinion)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Will_Johnson

I'm sorry for this bit of mis-informtion coming from our office! We will make sure to clarify things with everyone Monday morning.

There's really no evidence to support the notion of folded blades breaking prematurely. Only issue would be if they were coiled down too small but that would be really tough to do.  From a metallurgical point of view, the steel should perform elastically unless stretched, twisted or bent so that it is permanently deformed. So a blade coiled for many many years might have a problem, but not one coiled for a few months.

In fact, we store coiled material sometimes for years, with no adverse effect.......  providing the weld in blade is professionally done,  a welded blade should perform similarly.

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Thank You Sponsors!